PDA

View Full Version : Mountainsmith Quickfire Camera Bag

slow roasted
11-27-2009, 21:38
I would like my wife to be able to carry her Nikon D60 with her on sections, but worry about dammage to the camera. Any thoughts out there on some quality bags (or tricks) to keep the camera safe and dry?
Found the Mountainsmith Quickfire Camera Bag, thought it might do but wanted some opinions first.

bigcranky
11-27-2009, 22:28
That should work. Also check the holsters at Think Tank Photo. They offer several different sizes, and come with a rain cover.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/holster-camera-bags.aspx

waywardfool
11-28-2009, 01:01
Second on the think tank gear, great bags.

For hiking, though, I find the holster type bags too buiky...modern DSLR's are buiky enough as it is.

I have carried various SLR's and DSLR's on the trail since about 1979. Dry, I use a carabiner to clip the neckstrap onto the haul loop/handle that is on most packs just above the top end of the shoulder straps...this keeps the camera weight off of your neck or shoulder, and keeps it from accidentally dropping to the ground. Mist or drizzle to very light rain, I drape a plastic bag over the camera. (doesn't have to be a bag, it just drapes over the camera and lens, between the straps). Rain, I put the camera in a plastic bag inside my pack, and stop and pull it out when a pic opportunity can't be passed by. This has worked for me, haven't lost a camera to damage or rain (yet).

ChinMusic
11-28-2009, 01:11
If it pulls on the neck, you're NOT gonna like it. Been there, done that.