PDA

View Full Version : Ga - Pa

MtnRider1981
11-28-2009, 01:24
After considering a thru hike, I have decided to cut my hike in half and go as far as Mason-Dixon, PA. I am still contemplating a start date from springer and might leave as late as 15April2009. I am hoping that this will put me at my goal within 90 days. Give me your thoughts, please! Good and bad!

-JOHN CHERRY

stranger
11-28-2009, 01:29
Sounds good, 90 days is plenty for half the trail. Leaving 15 April isn't exactly late...still heaps of hikers around.

MtnRider1981
11-28-2009, 01:33
Sounds good, 90 days is plenty for half the trail. Leaving 15 April isn't exactly late...still heaps of hikers around.

Hey thanks! I have read many of your posts and learned a lot from what you have said since I joined WB.

Cookerhiker
11-28-2009, 08:04
2 thoughts off the bat (for this early on a Saturday morning):

1. Are you starting "late" because you don't like cold weather hiking? That's understandable. But 90 days from April 15 means July 15 when it's pretty hot & humid just when you're reaching lower elevations. If you don't mind that, then you're OK. Personally, I'd start April 1 or even March 20. I think you're apt to see a few more wildflowers with an earlier start.

2. 90 days is fine for this southern half but if you want to hike from PenMar north to Katahdin in the future, you'll probably need more than 90 days.

MtnRider1981
11-28-2009, 09:12
2 thoughts off the bat (for this early on a Saturday morning):

1. Are you starting "late" because you don't like cold weather hiking? That's understandable. But 90 days from April 15 means July 15 when it's pretty hot & humid just when you're reaching lower elevations. If you don't mind that, then you're OK. Personally, I'd start April 1 or even March 20. I think you're apt to see a few more wildflowers with an earlier start.

2. 90 days is fine for this southern half but if you want to hike from PenMar north to Katahdin in the future, you'll probably need more than 90 days.

I'm leaving April 15 because my sister is due to have a baby April 1. I do expect it to be warmer/hot at times.
I am only planning for the first thousand miles this year.

white_russian
11-28-2009, 11:10
April 15 is a great time to hike in GA at least. It can still get cold, but there are enough nice days to make it pleasant.

Montana AT05
11-28-2009, 16:17
You will have no time issues and you will have plenty of hikers around. April is a common start time for many.

Also, cutting off at PA is a good idea if you don't have the time for a full thru. At least for me, the hike was very different from PA to MA. The terrain, my moods, the seasons, the difference in other hikers (we went from eyes-wide open in awe and omgthisissocool expressions to narrow eyed, hard-bitten trail veterans who were more prone to complaints than to omgthisissocool statements).

Have fun.

buff_jeff
11-28-2009, 21:39
I did Springer to US 40 in Maryland two years ago, starting May 10 and taking about 70 days. I found that to be an absolutely perfect time to hike. I had no problems with heat, cold, rain, or crowds. There were a few thru-hikers around, but they were all great to hangout with.

Have fun!

Don H
11-29-2009, 11:34
How are you getting home from there? Just a thought; it might be easier to get off 40 miles sooner in Harper's Ferry. They have train service there which can link you to other public transportation. If you go to the MD/PA line there is no public transportation. You could arrange for a shuttle to pick you up at PenMar park.

MtnRider1981
11-30-2009, 00:44
How are you getting home from there? Just a thought; it might be easier to get off 40 miles sooner in Harper's Ferry. They have train service there which can link you to other public transportation. If you go to the MD/PA line there is no public transportation. You could arrange for a shuttle to pick you up at PenMar park.

Good point, I'll look into it. I'm thinking that I may want to hike to the half-way sign, and then hike 1 additional mile so that I can leave not having done half the AT, but MORE than half! haha

Cookerhiker
11-30-2009, 08:48
Good point, I'll look into it. I'm thinking that I may want to hike to the half-way sign, and then hike 1 additional mile so that I can leave not having done half the AT, but MORE than half! haha

The halfway sign is an additional 40 miles near Pine Grove Furnace SP. If you hike up to it, you may as well go on to Duncannon (another 44 miles) where you can access public transporation (AMTRAK or flights) from Harrisburg.

And you can celebrate your hike's completion at the Doyle!

10-K
11-30-2009, 12:42
The halfway sign is an additional 40 miles near Pine Grove Furnace SP. If you hike up to it, you may as well go on to Duncannon (another 44 miles) where you can access public transporation (AMTRAK or flights) from Harrisburg.

And you can celebrate your hike's completion at the Doyle!

This occured to me as well but starting a hike in Duncannon going north would be a real drag IMO.... If it were me and I had the time I'd go ahead and hike through PA and get most of the rocks out of the way and start next time at DWG.

Just my opinion - I did not like the trail in PA much at all but the people I met along the way were some of the finest.

And I think Lickdale is an absolute must stop... When you hike PA, if you don't make it to Lickdale you've missed a real treat.