PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Pole!

nthadley
08-26-2004, 01:26
Why not? :)
It's lightweight, strong, can be chosen to fit the hand, and I can change my grip-height constantly.
I have installed a rubber "hiking pole" foot at one end just below one of the bamboo's rings. All I had to do was drill out the ring's center and shove in the foot (which has tapered ribs).
However, I'm concerned about having to hold it for over TWO THOUSAND MILES. I've thought about making it unscrew into two sections, but I haven't figured out a good way...
Any suggestions? :confused:

orangebug
08-26-2004, 08:31
Bamboo has all of those good qualities. There is the problem of having to carry a pole unless it has the wrist straps of trekking poles. However they are light, all natural, and easily replaceable.

I'm not sure that the "hiking pole foot" will work very long. I'd expect that repetitive pressure will either send the foot up into the bamboo or will lead to splitting. I'd look at crutch or cane rubber caps instead.

I can imagine two ways to make a two part bamboo pole. First would be to cut it just above a joint. In the top end, I'd use epoxy putty and use that for a bolt's new home. In the joint, I'd carve a hole and epoxy a nut into place to receive the bolt. The other would be to cut the pole mid section, between joints. With some flashing, I'd creat a cylinder that would fit tightly into the pole, and then fit the top over that cylinder.

In either case, I'd expect the pole to get sloppy and useless in a few hundred miles. I'd keep it simple and do nothing to it other than the cane cap.

Bill...

Crazy_Al
08-26-2004, 22:55
My bamboo hiking stick is about 3/4 inch in diameter at the base, maybe 1 inch at the top. I epoxyed a 7/8 inch diameter copper plumbing joint on the bottom for durability. I put a 1 inch rubber cane tip, for the tree hugging environmentalist, that fits nicely on the copper plumbing pipe joint.

I have 1,000s of bamboo canes growing on my land.

nthadley
08-28-2004, 00:33
Thanks Guys! :sun
I just hate the idea of carrying around a stiff, no-character, and mass-produced object in my hand through the woods.

For splitting, maybe I can wrap the end with duct tape and then with leather, and also keep the cane foot in a bounce box just in case. Also, I could put a wooden dowel through the end to keep the foot in place
As far as making two sections, I like the your idea of there being a section inserted betwen the two halves, possibly even inserting a small alluminum rod through it with a pin securing it in place and allowing quick breakdown.

Or be like HE-MAN (...Master of the Universe) and have a large sheath in the rear of my pack!

SGT Rock
08-28-2004, 08:19
I used to hike with a Cedar pole. To make a good cedar pole you need to cut a small tree and trim it, then strip off the very top layer of bark which sort of peels funny. Then let it dry about a week. Don't let cedar dry too long or it will get brittle. After it dries, then take some polyurethane and seal it to retain some of the moisture and protect the wood. Cedar, if dried correctly, has a very good strength to weigh ratio and depending on how you do it, you get these cool patterns of red and yellow wood. If you do cedar, you could make a couple of sticks the right height (about 110cm-120cm) with grips, brass tips, and you could even get some of those joints like for collapsible pool cues and make them break down.

The down side is your sticks will probably weigh about 2-3 times what a set of Leki Poles weigh since they have those things so darn light and strong these days. But they could look cool and even at 2-3 times what a Leki Pole's weight, they wouldn't be that heavy.

Youngblood
08-28-2004, 09:49
... a couple of sticks the right height (about 110cm-120cm) with grips, brass tips, and you could even get some of those joints like for collapsible pool cues and make them break down.

Okay Sarge, you admit you use a pool cue for a hiking stick... opps, I'm sorry I thought this was the "AT in wartime" thread. :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
08-28-2004, 10:06
LOL, not really. My pole was a solid one piece. Just trying to give some ideas out.

Youngblood
08-28-2004, 10:22
LOL, not really. My pole was a solid one piece. Just trying to give some ideas out.

Sarge, I was trying to put a little humor on what is happening on the "The Whiteblaze in Wartime" thread. You know the one, where people are sometimes acting inhospitable, taking thinks out of context in unreasonable ways as if it proved 'their point of view'. I was using that 'logic tone' to falsely prove that you hiked with a pool cue for a hiking stick. It was meant as a joke to highlight how absurd some of the arguments are on the thread I mentioned. Sorry that it didn't come across as I had intended.

Youngblood

orangebug
08-28-2004, 10:32
... I was using that 'logic tone' to falsely prove that you hiked with a pool cue for a hiking stick. It was meant as a joke to highlight how absurd some of the arguments are on the thread I mentioned. ....
Damn, I thought you had something going there. I could just imagine pulling up into some unsuspecting trail town with my hiking stick/cue stick. The locals would think I was nuts, until I cleared the table. Talk about a multi-purpose piece of gear!

Bill...

SGT Rock
08-28-2004, 10:45
I haven't been reading that thread in a few days.

Nightwalker
08-28-2004, 23:36
The down side is your sticks will probably weigh about 2-3 times what a set of Leki Poles weigh since they have those things so darn light and strong these days. But they could look cool and even at 2-3 times what a Leki Pole's weight, they wouldn't be that heavy.

You should check out the poles at Gossamer Gear. I think that they're just over two ounces apiece!

The uber-light stuff isn't for me, but it's a real kick to read about, and trickles down to other gear, making it all get lighter as time goes by.

I'm actually thinking about making a G4. :)

SGT Rock
08-29-2004, 09:33
I checked out those carbon fiber poles - way too light for me. Too much bend and not enough push.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 10:49
I checked out those carbon fiber poles - way too light for me. Too much bend and not enough push.
I've wondered about those, also. Imagine, using a pole to vault over the rocks in Central VA, or the wall at the end of the Lemon Squeeze?

Bill...

TDale
08-30-2004, 16:26
With an ample supply of cane, you could cut two or three pieces of different diameters and make two and three piece poles that could easily be broken down for packing. Much like telesoping fishing rods but using the natural joints as stops. Did I write that where it makes sense?

nthadley
09-01-2004, 00:53
Yeah, it took me a minute. However staring at a computer screen for hours makes you go into a trance anyway...That's a great idea. Definitely worth a try (you must live NEAR some cain!)

TDale
09-01-2004, 10:24
My grandparents had a large grove at their farm. We made all kinds of things with it.