PDA

View Full Version : Under Armor under cloths

mrhughes1982
11-28-2009, 18:31
What do you guys think about this stuff compared to the almighty Smartwool and stuff?

Chance09
11-28-2009, 18:39
under armor stuff only keeps you warm if your actually doing something. At least the regular stuff i used to use while playing sports. That said i absolutely love their boxerbriefs. I had some chafing issues and found that their underwear was the only thing that kept me from chafing. I now wear their underwear religiously lol.

take-a-knee
11-28-2009, 19:00
Like Chance said the boxer briefs are great for chaff prevention, apart from that most everything they make is a bunch of overpriced crap. Yeah, they wick well, but so do lots of other fabrics for half the cost. The best thin, wicking shirts I've found are made from Visa Endurance fabric. It will outlast the Xcrap 3 to 1.

mrhughes1982
11-28-2009, 19:15
Thanks for the responses so far. They are pretty expensive but cheaper than some smartwool. I actually already bought a shirt today and was hoping I didn't make a bad decision. Should have got the undies I guess :-?

BrianLe
11-28-2009, 19:46
+1 for the relatively long-legged boxer briefs --- i.e., long enough to prevent chafing. For me at least, these are perfect for distance hiking.

Bulldawg
11-28-2009, 20:10
under armor stuff only keeps you warm if your actually doing something. At least the regular stuff i used to use while playing sports. That said i absolutely love their boxerbriefs. I had some chafing issues and found that their underwear was the only thing that kept me from chafing. I now wear their underwear religiously lol.

+1 for the relatively long-legged boxer briefs --- i.e., long enough to prevent chafing. For me at least, these are perfect for distance hiking.

Long boxer briefs, best thing since sliced bread.

saimyoji
11-28-2009, 20:13
i use their compression shorts. love em. totally different type of garment from SW.

mudhead
11-28-2009, 20:15
The boxers won't keep you warm. If you are between sizes, look at the boxer jock. It is not a jock, but is cut slimmer compared to the brief. Sort of a supportive pouch. Legs not as long.

I love them for everyday wear.

The coldgear leggings will keep you warm, if you are moving. Shed wind like crazy. On sale ($10 off-big wow) this weekend's flyers.

C9 boxers at Target won't last as long, or feel as sinful, but they are cheaper.:)

JoshStover
11-28-2009, 20:18
I freaking love the boxer briefs. They help so much with chafing. I have to agree everything but the briefs are extremly overpriced...

Tagless
11-28-2009, 21:16
i use their compression shorts. love em.

Me too. Two pair took me all the way thru the AT without any chafing problems. Well worth the money!

ChinMusic
11-28-2009, 21:30
A vote for the LONG boxer jocks. Gotta get the 9-inch inseam version, IMO.

That is the ONLY Under Armor product I use for backpacking. But of all the clothing I use I find it's the one I would not part with.

MuffinMan11
11-28-2009, 21:45
Another agreeance for the underwear, I use the 9" inseam boxerjock for backpacking and daily use now. Definetly prevents any chafing for me and that right there is worth the cost no matter what. Find them on sale for 15 and that is less than what I pay for a lot of underwear previously. I also have two sets of the coldgear 1.0 thermals that I wear as my baselayer for walking and one set to sleep in. For walking I wear the thermals and a pair of zip off pants and a simple hiking shirt. Will probably go tomorrow and find a set of wind shirt/pants. All I really need pretty much for winter backpacking while actually moving. I had searched for a cheap set of thermals for a while and found the UA ones to be the cheapest of all the big names so bought them.

MikenSalem
11-28-2009, 22:01
I like the smart wool. Whatever wicking heatgear you own with whatever scent killer you'd like to think it has, it cannot perform comparable to Smartwool. I REALLY like the stuff. It's warmer if you're not moving, warm when wet, it wicks because it's hollow and long fibered (merino) when you do sweat. It doesn't melt were it to come into contact with a flame.

As far as drawers who needs'um go commando and use the glide stuff.

Summit
11-29-2009, 00:46
As far as drawers who needs'um go commando and use the glide stuff.Gotta disagree with you there my friend! Depends on individual anatomy. I might be able to get by with body glide alone, but prefer compression underwear as the first line of defense against chaffing (scrotum to thigh). The body glide (as you were first hand witness on our recent hike together of my event) is great for the rare occasion you get a hot spot that causes chaffing with compression underwear. Saved me big time at Iron Mountain Shelter!

tuswm
11-29-2009, 00:49
I get a lot for free from my work. The only two things worth getting is the long boxer brief things everyone is talking about and they also make a 95% polyester T shirt thats nice. they have a lot of other nice stuff but its little use while hiking and it is over priced. there are other less expensive options out there. walmart and target both have versions of the boxer brief things that are less that half the price.

MikenSalem
11-29-2009, 21:58
Gotta disagree with you there my friend! Depends on individual anatomy. I might be able to get by with body glide alone, but prefer compression underwear as the first line of defense against chaffing (scrotum to thigh). The body glide (as you were first hand witness on our recent hike together of my event) is great for the rare occasion you get a hot spot that causes chaffing with compression underwear. Saved me big time at Iron Mountain Shelter!

Owe... it hurts! he was squealing like a lil' princess then proceeds to drop his pants and shove body glide..:eek: you get the picture. I had to turn my head away. Somethin about necked men.. I'd heard of grape nuts :(:( but I'd never...ewe to late - done been mooned. :cool:

nasty old man ewe...scarred for life ewe-ewe-ewe

Summit
11-29-2009, 23:12
Owe... it hurts! he was squealing like a lil' princess then proceeds to drop his pants and shove body glide..:eek: you get the picture. I had to turn my head away. Somethin about necked men.. I'd heard of grape nuts :(:( but I'd never...ewe to late - done been mooned. :cool:

nasty old man ewe...scarred for life ewe-ewe-ewe Yeah, turned your head away, but I saw you peeking through your fingers, you pervert! :-)

jesse
11-30-2009, 00:17
I recently discovered Reebok boxers at Dick's. Half the price of UA. I wear them everyday. Not just hiking. Uh, that might be too much information.

Powell19
11-30-2009, 01:37
UA stuff is good, especially for chilly, but not cold, weather. Their stuff is really overpriced, though. Since that material is so popular now, you can almost always find another brand that's just as good for half the price.

The Starter brand stuff at Walmart is really cheap if you are on a tight budget like me. And it's fine for day hikes.

I have a couple UA polo shirts and they are the most comfortable shirts I own, hands down.

I think wool and 100% poly baselayers have better warmth to weight ratios.

Heater
11-30-2009, 07:12

I like the long boxerbriefs too because I have an extremely large scrote.

Egads
11-30-2009, 07:17
I like the long boxerbriefs too because I have an extremely large scrote.

And why do you think we want to know? :-?

Heater
11-30-2009, 07:23
And why do you think we want to know? :-?

Just trying to be helpful. There might be others out there with enormous sacks that would appreciate the info.

mudhead
11-30-2009, 09:01
Just trying to be helpful. There might be others out there with enormous sacks that would appreciate the info.

Tiny peas make a pod look huge!:eek:

Sometimes I amuse myself.:)

mudhead
12-17-2009, 12:02
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat21414-cat350004&id=0074488943823a&navCount=25&podId=0074488&parentId=cat350004&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

6" inseam.

If you are in between sizes on the boxers, these work as boxers. Not as supportive as a jock, but keeps em within reach.:)

Some capilene bargains if you are a big un.

Cabelas bargain cave.

Jim Adams
12-18-2009, 02:51

Mine have lasted like they're made of steel...just keep going and going, and going...4 years now!:cool:

geek

FritztheCat
12-18-2009, 09:37
I really like the compression shorts. Someone on this forum pointed these out to me a while ago when I mentioned a chaffing issue. Work great!

I have a set of the long pants (long underwear) and while I find they keep me warm enough, there is a limit to how long I can wear them. After about 8 hours or so, I find that the hair on my legs really starts itching. Wear them for about 10 hours and the itching drives me crazy.

mudhead
12-19-2009, 14:05
That will all chafe off. Nice little stubble.

Maine- Land of the summer grade long johns.

jnl82381
12-19-2009, 14:53
I wear the UA boxer briefs every day. i definatelly agree that they help with chaffing whether it be for hiking, running, or a day out wiht a lot of walking.

as for being overpriced, i also agree with that. however...if you have any friends that are deployed overseas, I found the boxerbriefs there for only $11 as opposed to almost $20 here in the states. you might ask them to pick you up some. i bought a rediculous amount of them while i was over there just to have backstock here when they wear out.