PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Trashgiving

saimyoji
11-28-2009, 19:29
Did it happen this year? I usually see threads about it but don't recall one from this year.

sbhikes
11-29-2009, 00:16
Trashgiving? What is that?

Tin Man
11-29-2009, 07:33
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=201839152532&ref=mf

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 10:52
Well, we were originally intending to be a bit more low-key about things this year, as frankly the event was getting pretty big, which meant more work, more expense, more clean-up, and for those of us helping to run the show, it meant we'd usually get around 15 minutes all weekend to actually hang out with friends.

But since people are interested, yes, we are indeed getting together again in Glencliff at the Hikers Welcome Hostel. People should note that the event will NOT be the weekend after Thanksgiving like we usually do, but instead will be the FOLLOWING weekend, i.e. 11-13 December.

And things will be a bit different this year as cooking 3 days of ALL You Can Eat meals for 70-odd people is a real chore. There will of course be all manner of good things to eat and drink during the weekend, but this year we are really encouraging folks to bring something along with them to share with others; folks can either bring stuff that's all ready to go, or they can use the kitchen and cook, or they can probably find someone to do their cooking for them. And as the Dude put it, if people bring their own stuff "pot luck" style, well we may end up with 34 gallons of cider and 34 apple pies.

And if that happens, we'll deal with it. The main thing is to give folks a chance to spend time with friends before the winter sets in, and we hope to see some of you guys there.

Bulldawg
11-29-2009, 11:15
Interesting.................

Reid
11-29-2009, 12:26
What's the signifigance of "trash"? just wondering.......

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 15:34
Reid:

Since you asked, the phrase "hiker trash" is used by some (tho certainly not all) long-distance hikers to describe themselves and their friends. Used in this context, it has no negative connotations.

Thus, a post-Thanksgiving get-together by some hikers and their friends (this started some years ago) became known as "Trashgiving". If the party were held later in the month, maybe it'd be "Trashmas".

And of course, there's that other traditional party, the one that takes place in the Spring, after a prominent Jewish holidaay. That one, of course, is "Trashover".

Actually, just kidding about those last two. Thankfully, we only do this once a year!

bigmac_in
11-29-2009, 16:09
Isn't that the same weekend as Ron Haven's Christmas party in Franklin?

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 16:38
BigMac:

You may well be right, and it's too bad, but then again one of these events is in Western North Carolina and the other is in Central New Hampshire so I'm not sure there's much of a conflict guest-wise. Most of the folks going to Ron's will in all likelihood be Southerners; most of the folks in Glencliff will probably be Yankees, i.e. I can't think of any of my New England friends who were planning on driving down to Franklin that weekend even tho I'm sure many of them wished that they could; likewise, we haven't had any RSVP's from Georgia or North Carolina, and in truth, over the years, we've had very few attendees from that far South, it really is a bit of a haul. So I don't see much of a conflict here.

In any case, I hope Ron's weekend is a blast; unfortunately it looks like I'll have to wait til March to tell him hello in person.

Bulldawg
11-29-2009, 17:11
Interesting.............

sheepdog
11-29-2009, 18:37
Interesting.............
you keep using that word. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

Bulldawg
11-29-2009, 18:45
you keep using that word. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

Definition please?

sheepdog
11-29-2009, 18:47
Definition please?
Mostly dead is somewhat alive. All dead you just go through their pockets and look for loose change.

Bulldawg
11-29-2009, 18:50
Mostly dead is somewhat alive. All dead you just go through their pockets and look for loose change.

Interesting............

Pacific Tortuga
11-29-2009, 19:19

Then make yourself a nice MLT.

bigmac_in
11-29-2009, 19:22
BigMac:

You may well be right, and it's too bad, but then again one of these events is in Western North Carolina and the other is in Central New Hampshire so I'm not sure there's much of a conflict guest-wise. Most of the folks going to Ron's will in all likelihood be Southerners; most of the folks in Glencliff will probably be Yankees, i.e. I can't think of any of my New England friends who were planning on driving down to Franklin that weekend even tho I'm sure many of them wished that they could; likewise, we haven't had any RSVP's from Georgia or North Carolina, and in truth, over the years, we've had very few attendees from that far South, it really is a bit of a haul. So I don't see much of a conflict here.

In any case, I hope Ron's weekend is a blast; unfortunately it looks like I'll have to wait til March to tell him hello in person.

I suppose I'm a yankee, but I'm heading to Franklin in a couple weeks. I like southern hospitality.:D

sheepdog
11-29-2009, 22:55
Then make yourself a nice MLT.
where the mutton is nice and crispy????

now your talking

ShelterLeopard
11-29-2009, 22:58
where the mutton is nice and crispy????

now your talking

They're so perky, I love that.

Reid
11-29-2009, 23:24
Reid:

Since you asked, the phrase "hiker trash" is used by some (tho certainly not all) long-distance hikers to describe themselves and their friends. Used in this context, it has no negative connotations.

That makes sense. I really didn't think negative of it either. Ya know some people here are rude, some are cool, some are morons, some are really nice, some are really trash but that's life. Actually it's more like Miami without the women but you know what I mean.

mweinstone
12-04-2009, 14:06
just invited goat shenequa whitecrow burrass ab baracuss bloody mary bobcat big ease coosecoose youngblood and others in tyipical bad spelled matthewskilike without perrmission style. comming with jester. the actual street meaning of his use of interesting is mr spock. jack has cooties and the dude is a grouch when woken up by a hyperactive biscuts and gravy toteing pre nautical dawnlike matthewski. invited trail angel mary if someone can carry her.

and blisters belly is still on the top five list. in other news....kirbys old enough to drink. man........

Blister
12-09-2009, 23:08
No belly shots this year :) Sorry

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 10:20
i had sex! no i didnt, but it was almost as fun. jack cooked wonderful lagazanya. hillwalkers new cd of his 250 mi hike in scottland this past may is great! he gave me one. thanks hillwalker.and the dude shuttled jacks daughter gillian so she could hang with us. shes utterly hot dudes. and no jack resembelance. so if i had the oppurtunity to kiss her, i could. anyway,..shes great and was our centerpeice attraction. we all love you gillian. jesters mom provided baked goods of the highest order of metaclorians i have ever aten.jester ,....did nothing memorable. anyway,...we hade some local chicks that were hot. lets see,...oh, we had cammo jack and his potroast. we had big john or little john and his wifey.and ffej, witch is jeff backwards. thank you fej for running around and all your help each trashgiveing. two obtuse is a great dude we love.he took lots of photoes.their were other folks i didnt know and foods i never met.hillwalker shoveled snow for cars to park and tank made booze runs and chomp was chomp. the weather was beautiful and dry and the hostel was filled with fun and games. billville loves each other. thats gay.xoxoxoxomatthewski

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 10:24
and i forgot, homebrew shewed up.