PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for doing the AT?

skeeterfeeder
08-26-2004, 03:53
Being a relative 'newbee' to the AT community, I spend a great deal of time reading the different topics in the forums. I can't help but notice the diversity of subject matter. Many of the topics cover gear, trails, places to visit along the way, as I would expect from this site. However, I am a bit surprised that some of the subjects seem to be more like what you would hear at a high school dance; 'drugs, hot women, etc.'
A question comes to mind: "Why do most people hike the AT?" Or maybe I should rephrase that; "Why do you hike the AT?"
I am very curious to see what some of the answers are.

Peaks
08-26-2004, 07:46
Wasn't there another thread on this topic?

SargeAT
08-26-2004, 08:07
The 3 b's, Body, Brotherhood, Boasting rights.

hiker dude
08-26-2004, 09:14
If you haven't been there you can't understand. It would do better to explain the reasons why you live your lifestyle and we could tell you why, "I'm not that way anymore". Then maybe you would at least grasp the understanding of what it is. But remember this friend; That greater wisdom brings you greater suffering also.:sun

I_think_I_can
08-26-2004, 19:23
To be perfectly honest, one big reason is that I want to face a challenge I impose upon myself, instead of the usual life thrusting things on me and saying "Here, deal with THIS!"

Erin

grrickar
08-26-2004, 21:37
To be perfectly honest, one big reason is that I want to face a challenge I impose upon myself, instead of the usual life thrusting things on me and saying "Here, deal with THIS!"

Erin
Well put. I feel exactly the same way. It's me taking time off to do something for myself - to be outdoors and enjoy myself rather than sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day. I don't have the time or money for a thru-hike at the moment, so I'll have to settle for section hikes. Hopefully I will finish my next section hike in better physical shape and in better spirits than when I started.

Tin Man
08-26-2004, 21:59
1. Adventure
2. No whining wives
3. No whining kids
4. No whining bosses
5. No whining employees
6. Just me and bro whining about "what were we thinking? this is hard!"
7. Getting real close and personal with nature, like skeeters, spiders, mice, stinky people who snore and belch a lot, sleeping on the hard, cold ground, and the thrilling race to the privy after a particularly interesting ramen and gorp meal.
8. You step on the trail and look south and you know that somewhere down yonder is Springer and turn and look North and you know Katahdin is calling.
9. You can hang a tall thin map on the wall at home and stick pins in it indicating to your friends your yearly progress and how macho you really are.
10. After experiencing the trail, that rush that you feel when you suddenly realize that you have been trapped in the Matrix and are suddenly free.

chris
08-27-2004, 15:16
Reasons for hiking the AT are very diverse, but there are some themes that come up frequently: Adventure, simple living (or living simply), fellowship, clarity, escape. Personally, I enjoy living a simple life, as it promotes thought and a certain "oneness" with something beyond the physical. This might seem a little counter-intuitive, as on a hike one is contact with the physical world all the time. Living with minimal possessions, responsibilities, and attatchments brings about a spiritual quality to life that seems impossible otherwise. This way of life can (not guaranteed!) be found on a long hike. Of course, there are other attractions, such as physically beautiful areas, interesting people, and new experiences.

This, however, mitigates against the AT, at least for me. On my first AT section hike from Springer to Damascus in 2002 I fell in love. My love affair continued and reached a rather tempestuous peak on my PCT thruhike last year. However, when I hit the AT again this summer, from Damascus to Manchester Center, the love affaired took a hard hit. The lack of wilderness seemed to keep me from what it was that I wanted. The numerous road crossings, the contant sounds from nearby towns or roads, the (relative) throngs of people, and the urbanization of the trail all seemed obstacles more formidable than any mountain. That is, they presented difficulties, that I was not able to completely overcome, to getting what I wanted out of my hike. When I left to hike the GDT in Canada, most of those obstacles were removed and the love affair was back on.

If you want to find out why people hike the AT, the best thing to do is to go to the ALDHA Gathering this fall. Held in early October in West Virginia (this year), many former thruhikers attend, including the most recent class. The recent crop of thruhikers, when not dodging the "No beer" police, may be able to give you an insight into why they hiked and what they got out of the hike. Talking with people, in person, will be much more informative than anything that I (or most likely anyone) can write here.

hangman417
08-27-2004, 21:53
Learning to enjoy you're own company.

orangebug
08-28-2004, 06:58
The hiker babes. :banana

Nah, I section hike for the opportunity to clear the head, to simplify, to recover from life. It makes my work much more tolerable and productive. If one fails to care for himself, he ain't much good to anyone else.

Bill...

MOWGLI
08-28-2004, 07:07
However, when I hit the AT again this summer, from Damascus to Manchester Center, the love affaired took a hard hit. The lack of wilderness seemed to keep me from what it was that I wanted. The numerous road crossings, the contant sounds from nearby towns or roads, the (relative) throngs of people, and the urbanization of the trail all seemed obstacles more formidable than any mountain. That is, they presented difficulties, that I was not able to completely overcome, to getting what I wanted out of my hike. When I left to hike the GDT in Canada, most of those obstacles were removed and the love affair was back on.

I really liked your description of why you hike. I can relate to much of what you wrote.

Chris, the area north of where you left off this summer does offer some wilder areas than the mid-atlantic, but there are still many road crossings, and the White Mountains can have throngs during the weekends. Maine is da bomb though. It is by far my favorite state on the AT. Again though, the 100 mile so-called wilderness is an industrial forest, albeit a beautiful one. I was dismayed by the daily sound of feller bunchers working in the "wilderness". Then a beautiful pond would make my heart soar.

Do you have any plans to complete the AT from where you left off?

chris
08-28-2004, 13:49
Do you have any plans to complete the AT from where you left off?

Not immediately, but I will probably get back on in a couple of years. I have at least three other projects for the summer time that are more important right now. However, I think that a Manchester to Katahdin hike, combined with the IAT, then a traverse of Newfoundland, would make for a reasonable summer. If I take a leave of absence for a year, I might make a run at Ward Leonard's record, just for kicks.

MedicineMan
08-29-2004, 23:57
Well its not just the AT but mostly it is.
One, just keep moving-paddle, walk,bike,hike,climb, whatever keeps me off the couch exploring the creation as best as often as far as I can.
Two, section hiking, not just the AT, anywhere a trail can be found again to keep from tinning up like the TinMan of Oz.
Three, therapy of course, work in the hospital can be a pressor, walking in the woods is a valve.
Four, the AT, def. something about it....yep its not wilderness, its not remote (unless you are with something busted like a knee or ankle) {but is there any true wilderness save above the border with Canada?, well yes, wilderness is in the heart, it can be as simple as locking eyes with a common grey squirrel or splashing cold spring water on the face}
Five, goal orientation-- one section at a time, each a feather in my cap, each a step toward completion- a completion that may never happen, and thats OK, each section walked a gift from the Almighty
Six, homework...each section hike is the exam...if i've been doing my homework (i.e. hiking,biking,working out) between sections then i do better on the exam
Seven, family. The AT is family, even the shelters are distinct members that i've come to know, that makes sense if you've done some sections over and over and over and over. The hikers, the WB members, its very comforting to run into other hikes who are loving,enjoying, appreciating the same passions that you are- whether it be the vista, the sheer joy of having walked your limit that day and finally putting a hot spoon of rice to the lips, and the sadness of the following day watching all pack up, some to never be seen again--kinda remiscient of war/battle/comrades marching off to their fight.
Eight, the little things...like I remember on my 2cd or 17 times on Big Bald watching a hawk circling then flying down in front of us no less than 12 feet away and plucking a ground squirrel up in its talons and then flying off with it to feet the brood.
Nine, the winter....a special time for me and the AT--solitude,quiet, the clear light of a setting sun on a day that has fogotten heat and humidity
Ten, that so many have given so much to create and maintain something so unique that 1000s have travelled so far to walk it.

I could go on...........