PDA

View Full Version : Blister Trouble

baseballswthrt
08-26-2004, 05:49
I have problems with recurring blisters on my heels. So far nothing seems to help. I have tried two different pair of boots (fitted by a person in an outfitter that seemed to know what they were doing), putting duct tape on my heels prior to starting, wearing liner socks, and airing my feet frequently. The worst blisters came with the liner socks. I seem to have the most trouble with them when we do a lot of uphill hiking. As long as we are walking on the flat or downhill, I am good to go....slight uphill and my heels are blistered. I have put pads in the backs of the heels of my boots on the inside to try to lessen the friction too. Am I gonna have to do the entire AT uphill sections walking backwards??

Last month we hiked from Damascus to Saunders Shelter. We stopped every hour so I can rest my feet! By time we got there, I was in terrible shape with my blisters. The next day when we got to the Virginia Creeper, my husband made us stop and make camp after only 2 hours to rest my feet. We ended up hiking the Virginia Creeper Trail in it's entirety instead of going all the way to Troutdale as planned. I had to wear my crocs on the VC back to Damascus in order to get out of there!

Has anyone else had this experience? What is the solution? Has anyone tried Body Glide ? How does it work? We are currently looking at trail runners to see if that will help.

My current base weight in my pack is 16 lbs and with 5 days of food and water I was around 25 lbs. I don't think it is the load I am carrying...

I just have bad heels!

Anita

Peaks
08-26-2004, 07:54
You don't say what type of hiking shoes you are using. If you are using a full leather hiking boot, then one solution might be to try a different type of boot, such as a fabric upper. or a trail runner shoe.

baseballswthrt
08-26-2004, 07:57
I am currently wearing Montrail Torre Gtx. The old pair were Merrells. Both are full leather uppers. They feel great when I put them on and when I am flat or going downhill!

orangebug
08-26-2004, 08:09
Blisters only going uphill on your heels. It sure sounds like friction against the heel of the boot. What I can't grasp is why duct tape (unless you have an allergy to the adhesive) and liners didn't take the brunt of the friction and releive your blisters.

It sounds as if your boot fitter is paying more attention to your toe box. Most folks complain of toe problems on downhills.

If you get the chance, go to one of Phil Orens boot fitting events. Yeh, they will sell you SmartFeet insoles, but it will be worth it. He will let you know two or three boots/trail runners that will work for you. If you live near Atlanta, consider a trip to Fillipides (I hope I spelled it right). They specialized for runners and joggers, but have a good selection of trail runners. (Ansley Mall and Sandy Springs)

Bill...

Youngblood
08-26-2004, 08:35
I had the heel blister problem years back when I used boots. I think it is related to friction when your heel slips on ascends and moisture buildup due to perspiration, warm weather, wet weather, hiking fast, hiking long distances, wearing gaitors, etc. Even developed blisters underneath duct tape the last time I wore hiking boots. Switched to low cut, high ventilation hiking boots. That got rid of the heel blister problem. On my thru hike, I switched to trail runners about half way through because the hardness of the low cut hiking shoes were desensitizing the nerves on the bottom of my feet. Only problem I have now is that New Balance changes models quite often and the fit seems to change... sometimes they are okay, sometimes they are too tight and sometimes my feet slides around. It gets frustrating because I'm not quite sure how they are going to fit until I have put a few trail miles on them, but I don't get the blister problems due to moisture buildup unless I get stuck hiking high mileages day after day in wet socks/shoes in undulating terrain, which on one occasion turned the bottom of my feet into two big blisters.

Youngblood

Creaky
08-26-2004, 10:01
These are “standard” comments about blisters, but they have been helpful to me. Heel blisters are the result of friction caused by your heel moving up and down in the heel pocket of your boot. So perhaps your boot is not properly fitted or its last is shaped wrong for your foot. Is your heel, for example, unusually narrow for the size of your foot?

What has worked pretty well for me is to tie my laces in ways that “lock” my heels into the boot better. It helps especially with that extra blister-inducing heel movement that ordinarily takes place when you’re flexing to walk uphill. Take a look at, I think, the Montrail website for some lacing suggestions along these lines. There are other lacing patterns available on line. Try Google.

Body Glide works well to prevent chafing, but isn’t really meant to avoid blisters, certainly not in the heavy wear area of the heel.

I do blister in some standard boots—sometimes after miles and miles of not blistering in the same boots under what seem to be the same circumstances (blisters ARE a mystery, sometimes), but I never get heel blisters in running shoes or trail runners. From talking to others, this seems to be commonly true. So if nothing else works, do have a look at trail runners, approach shoes or light running-shoe-style boots. I personally have recently decided to make the switch from boots to trail runners, for what I would call reasons of general comfort—including blister reduction.

SGT Rock
08-26-2004, 10:04
Another issue may be your foot. If you have a very narrow heel area, then you can still have friction around the heel if the footware is cut in a way that doesn't work for your foot. Since leather boots tend to have more form to them, the solution may be to try another shoe or boot all together. If you have an odball foot, you may be limited to trying multiple boots until you find one that works, and you may never actually find a boot that works - only getting you feet toughened to the boots. Another option may be to try women's boots, it used to work for my brother.

tlbj6142
08-26-2004, 10:12
Where on your heel do you get the blisters? Sides? Back?

I get the on the sides of my heels about a 0.25" from the bottom of my foot. I think its due to having narrow heels. Typically I by shoes that feel great on my wide forefoot, but my most recent pair of Nike XCRs have a narrow heel. I'm hoping this will work out better.

I'll let you know in two weeks when I come back from ME.

There is a fairly recent thread on the subject of wide foot narrow heels. You might want to check out some of the brands mentioned.

Blue Jay
08-26-2004, 10:13
As others have suggested try trail runners. Leather is tough on feet and no longer required. You don't see leather shirts, pants and raccon skin caps anymore for a reason. Also as others have suggested you may have narrow heels. A thru with narrow heels told me he wore two hiking socks, one with the entire front cut off. The extra layer would have been too tight in the front but it allowed the friction in the heel to be between the two socks and not the sock and skin. Lubricating the skin where the blister happens is always a good idea to lessen friction. Don't give up, keep trying things until you figure out what works.

baseballswthrt
08-26-2004, 10:59
The blisters form on the backs of my heels. Reminds me of a kid with new tennis shoes and no socks!

I do have a narrow heel and I have tried lacing them several different ways like is shown on the montrail website, to no avail.

I am wearing women's boots.

I found Phil Oren's website and followed links to Hudson Trail Outfitters in Washington, DC. They are having a foot fest in Oct and I will go there to see if they can help! The manager says all of them have had Phil Oren training. I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia and we are short on Outfitters in this area. Yes, I have been to Blue Ridge Mountain Sports and Wildriver Outfitters. I bought my current boots in Utah at REI.

It sucks when you plan a week long hike and you can only hike 1 day because of blisters. Thank goodness I had my Crocs to get out of there!

My feet don't sweat overmuch. In fact my socks are only slightly damp after a full day of hiking so I don't think it's from being wet. I buy socks that fit me...my husband's are larger and I always tape my heels before I put my socks on. It has been a real mystery to us!

I have hiked for 3 days and gotten blisters on the 4th day. The trip out of Damascus, I got them the first day! We had taken a weeks vacation for that trip too and ended up coming home 4 days early since I couldn't walk.

I am bound and derermined not to give up backpacking! I just have to find the proper combination! Our Thru isn't until 2011 (our youngest graduates then) so I have years to find the answer, but in the meantime we like to go out at least once a month!

orangebug
08-26-2004, 11:51
It sucks when you plan a week long hike and you can only hike 1 day because of blisters. Thank goodness I had my Crocs to get out of there!

My feet don't sweat overmuch. In fact my socks are only slightly damp after a full day of hiking so I don't think it's from being wet. I buy socks that fit me...my husband's are larger and I always tape my heels before I put my socks on. It has been a real mystery to us!
There are good sandals for hiking, you know.

My bet is that REI sold you shoes based on inventory. I'd head up to DC, although I expect that someone in Richmond of Charlottesville would be available also. It is fun to go to Trail Days and be the guinea pig as Phil trains his troops on our feet. Someone trained in his method should be able to "prescribe" types of shoes based on your foot, and not on inventory and specials. Part of his system is a individualized insole, which works awfully well.

Before you go, have you considered getting extra long shoelaces? Wrap them around your anke to try to fix your heel into the back of the boot. Another consideration should be a tongue depressor. No, don't go stealing one from your doctor, but a shoe repair store. These are neoprene tongues that fit under the boot's tongue, forcing your foot into the heel box. That is probably your best quick fix.

Bill...

<BTW, everyone's feet sweat.>

manzana
08-26-2004, 12:24
Dont forget the help from breaking in your boots. If I have a big hike coming, I try to wear my boots full-time (even to work) . It helps toughen up the contact points on your feet and molds the boot a little too. Even if the boots are broken in, your feet may need a little pre-conditioning. You can ultimately walk bare-footed if you get your tootsies tough enough!

APPLE in AUSTIN

tlbj6142
08-26-2004, 13:35
While I know everyone thinks he is a wack job, have you considered doing the Ray Jardine thing and put anti-fungal cream on your feet every night (put socks on) for 30 days prior to your hike.

He claims it help prevent blisters as most blisters are caused from the fungus that causes Athletes foot. His words, not mine.

Might be worth a shot if you can't think of anything else to try.

I know I plan to try it if my narrow heel shoe switch doesn't do the trick.

tlbj6142
08-26-2004, 13:40
I'll second the sandal suggestion as well. Get a pair of Chaco Z1 with the Terreno sole (http://www.chacousa.com/products/). (17oz each for a Men's Size 9 normal width).

Wear with a thin pair of socks (like liners) to keep the bottom of your feet from sticking to the footbed. Buy a pair of Sealskinz (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=4181&parent_category_rn=4501322&vcat=REI_SEARCH)socks (Gore-Tex socks) for wet weather hiking.

They make great hiking footwear in the right conditions.

icemanat95
08-26-2004, 20:41
Ray Jardine is a bit nuts. Blisters are not caused by athletes foot fungus. They are caused by friction seperating the layers of skin from one another traumatically. Fluid then builds up between the layers in an attempt for the injury to pad itself. This fluid is sterile. Infection sets in when blisters are ruptured and not properly cared for. Fungus plays little part in all this.

The fact that Ray thinks that foot fungus causes blisters calls into question anything he has to say on health, hygeine and the like. He's a little cracked.

I can't image why the tape didn't help. Did it remain intact or was it moved aside when you took off your boots?

baseballswthrt
08-26-2004, 21:00
When I tape my heels, the tape stays intact and does not move at all! I still get blisters under it!

Anita

The Scribe
08-26-2004, 21:08
I bought a new pair of boots at LL Bean in February and work them to work and all around breaking them in. I walked my road course of 7 miles more than a few times in preparation for hiking. Beans took time to fit the boots. They felt great and I had no problems.

On my first real outing of the season in early May, I developed blisters on my heels. On subsequent trips since then they have gotten worse each time. This last time, Mt. Washington, I moleskinned both heals (forgot the duct tape) and managed to spare my left heal. My right, even under the moleskin, was worse than ever.

Went back to Beans and got refitted and they took the old mud encrusted, scraped all up old ones back. They are a half-size larger.

I've been wearing these to work and putting on miles walking. My first real test will be a big one. The 39 or whatever miles between Caratunk and Monson over Labor Day weekend.

I have never had blister issues ever before.

pcm

orangebug
08-27-2004, 07:28
When I tape my heels, the tape stays intact and does not move at all! I still get blisters under it!
Maybe we are getting somewhere. Just what do you tape?

Remember, the demon is friction and shearing between epidermis and dermal layers of skin. On feet, the shearing gets you blisters. On your thighs, the friction gets you chafing.

If you are miserly with the tape and only tape where the blister had been, then you do nothing about the shearing between those layers. If you are going to tape, cover the entire heel, from the arch well up the Achilles tendon and just below the condyles of your ankles. In other words, a tape ankle sock. I expect to see a bit of movement of the edges of that tape covering.

I still think that a tongue depressor would be your best/quickest solution until you get better fitting boots/runners.

<Jardine said fungus causes blisters? :rolleyes: I suspect that the powder or antifungal creme helped to reduce friction, but he had the wrong idea of the pathophysiology of both the problem and the solution.>

Bill....

baseballswthrt
08-27-2004, 07:36
I tape where the blisters have been. I don't make a tape sock. Basically I talpe where I can see the skin has heeled from the previous blisters. I do make sure I tape all around the area, but not to my arch and not up to my ankles. Is this perhaps what is wrong? I will look into the tongue depressor.

When I got these boots, I went to 3 different REI's in Utah (we were on vacation) had them fit me at each store and told them I was just getting fit, not buying that day. When we came home, I ordered them on line from another outfitter that was cheaper. Same boots, different retailer. I tried several different boots on at the store and these felt good no matter what.

Lol, I'm not much of a believer in the "fungus" theory! Sounds like hogwash....

Anita

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 08:15
Ray Jardine's book is full of outh there theories. There are some good ideas, but mainly the theory that you can have more fun backpacking if you carry less is the only one worth listening too. And since thousands of people and dozens of websites have cracked the code on that, there is no reason to read his book and get confused.

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 09:05
Ray Jardine's book is full of outh there theories. There are some good ideas, but mainly the theory that you can have more fun backpacking if you carry less is the only one worth listening too. And since thousands of people and dozens of websites have cracked the code on that, there is no reason to read his book and get confused.He still believes in this particular "cure". As he requires each of his followers...I mean students...to put anti-fungal cream on thier feet for 30-days prior to attending his week long course. Not sure if it is a requirement for the sewing class.:D

I suspect this is his (RJ's) thinking...

AF Fungus is always present on our feet
AF Fungus eats our calusus (which is a good thing most of the time)
Killing the fungus will toughen (build calusus) our feet
toughened feet don't get blisters.
In reality, he probably doesn't get blisters anymore because he wears light airy shoes with very thin socks which (he claims) he cleans and rotates several times a day.

One of these days I'm going to try corn pasta. Finally found some the other day. But pasta takes way too long to "cook" on the trail so I'm not interested.

I do plan to try Rock's Yellow Grits suggestion (for dinner). Bought a box (not instant) couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to make them yet. What do you mix in with them?

hiker dude
08-27-2004, 11:09
I really have to hike or run at least 6 real miles in under a hour on these rocky trails we have in the Pocono's without getting even one hot spots or using any tape. You know, "the rocky area, like I-80 to sunfish pond spring and back. Then I compare to all the shoes I tested like that. Bushwacking 5 miles a hour is good way to. So I like Montrail Vitesse, Hurricane ridge, TRS comps, Javas will pass my test to I'll bet. All I know is they will go forever without moleskinning or socks. perspiration keeps a wet suction in the heal cup that locks it like glue. If I don't wear smelly socks sometimes. That mean's I'm nuts like the rest here with my ticks. But I got those wide feet in front and narrow heal. You just have to know your rocks and how to recover from ankle twisting and how to walk softly in the wilderness or some can't hide the fact that they shine like a tenderfoot that had a sitting job when I shake their hand.

Ray Jardine is not crazy, I saw him in a picture with a NF V-24 or25 in high altitude winter camping in a whiteout.Why not? Cause he said to bail out in the book, so I'm told. He can if he wants to. Yea, he wrote something like you would have done 15 years ago. I call it the William Shatner syndrome. Give the guy some air. Let the living speak now.:sun

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 11:20
Corn pasta sucks

hiker dude
08-27-2004, 11:48
That's about what I've been trying to say. Sure everyone's telling Ray who Ray is. I know Ray to be some guy that is doing pretty good with a multimillion dollar business. I know that some still think William Shatner is still capt. James T Kirk. I think he might be taking up ski camping or even golfing today in his BMW 525i for all I know or care anymore. :sun

baseballswthrt
08-27-2004, 15:31
My feet are only slightly damp when we stop at night. On the other hand, you could wring out my husband's socks!

I am willing to try most anything to not get blisters. I wear my boots a lot of the time. Today, I wore them to work with no tape and no blisters! Of course, there were no up hills...

Anita

cupcake
08-27-2004, 21:39
i too get blisters on my heels ---- i wear (but will be returning to rei) asolo's 'fugitive' (?) --- i have boney feet, with plenty of waitressing callouses. i tried on every brand at the local rei --- the asolo boot was the best fit -- i went up a 1/2 size larger so my toes wouldn't bump on downhills. but, it's the uphills that bite my heels. i lace with a heel lock -- though, because my feet are so boney, it's very uncomfortable --- i feel the laces cutting in through the tongue. i have not tried padding under the laces there yet. the boots will be returned because the fabric is coming apart on the tongue area already w/o any significant miles on them.
the boots are lined with gortex --- i wondered if maybe the gortex is keeping my foot warmer, thus more wetness trapped inside? i wear a wicking liner and a cushy smartwool hiking sock. i've duct-taped too. is it friction? or just pressure of the heel hitting the back of the boot on the uphills?
when my heel is truly "locked" in with the lacing, i feel too much pressure from the laces and a loss of flexibility where the ankle wants to flex.
baaaa! i too would appreciate some insight.
on lesser trails, i have worn trail shoes and trail runners --- but, i'm not carring a 25lb+ load and am not terribly concerned about rolling my ankle --- i wonder about the issue of if gortex is keeping the moisture "in", thus my foot/sock creating a nice damp environment for blisters.
in non-boots, i get blisters on the sides of my big toes -- not from rubbing, but from the softness of the sole inside the shoe -- maybe it's vertical rubbing --- my old callouses -- they get blisters underneath. i have freak feet.
d

baseballswthrt
08-28-2004, 05:47
I too have bony feet and I have very long toes. My boots were fit a half size larger too so I wouldn't have trouble with my toes jamming in the toe box. I have wondered if the gortex is causing trouble, except that I had the same problem with my previous boots that did not have gortex lining. I never get blisters on my toes, sides or balls of my feet. Only on my heels!

I wear smartwool socks and did try coolmax liners with them on 2 trips that resulted in worse results. I may need to tape more of my foot as suggested in this thread. I'd hate to have to carry 30lbs of tape though! I lace mine in a heel lock too, but it does cut into the top of my foot then, but that is minor compaired to the blisters! I have had blisters on both heels measuring 4 inches by 2 inches! I have hiked till I've bled from them too! There has to be a way...

Anita

orangebug
08-28-2004, 07:05
... I may need to tape more of my foot as suggested in this thread. I'd hate to have to carry 30lbs of tape though! I lace mine in a heel lock too, but it does cut into the top of my foot then, but that is minor compaired to the blisters! ...
Of course you are exaggerating. I suspect that the ankle sock of duct tape will last you a week. I am real suspcious from your description that the heel cup is far too large. I wonder if you are tying your foot in so tightly that you get pressure sores, rather than just blisters.

I think you need about 6-12 ft of duct tape wrapped around your trekking pole, 2 -3 feet wrapped about your heel and ankel, a tongue depressor, customized insole with attention to the heel cup and arch, and a better boot fitter than REI.

Bill...

cupcake
08-28-2004, 12:15
as far as blister prevention goes using duct tape, i'm having a hard time buying that philosophy. all feet are different. it does keep the friction down, but doesn't relieve the pressure. also, it doesn't breathe --- my feet sweat and the tape slides around, rubbing, and adds to making blisters.
a podiatrist recommended using big patches of moleskin held on with ticture of benzoin. i have not tried this method on long distance, but i did use it on a day hike after i noticed a hotspot on the back of my heel. i did not end up with a full-blown blister. i did not do enough miles to really test it though. also, the moleskin has a bit of padding which i think helps.

orangebug
08-28-2004, 16:03
Well, so does everyone before they try it. This really isn't a problem related to feet breathing. The sweat vapor appears to penetrate the tape easily. If the edges of the tape are moving, it means you aren't shearing epidermis from dermis.

Now, I don't particularly like moleskin, but your podiatrist has a beginning of a good idea, especially for those afraid of duct tape. Clean the feet and heels thoroughly and dry thoroughly. Paint the risk area in benzoine. Since you have access to medical supplies, get a vapor permeable membrane, such as is used to cover surgical wounds.

Now you have a very slick cover, a great adhesive and a treatment for any present injury. The trick is to have everything absolutely dry before the application. I've tried this on trail during high humidity and mist, when everything is wet. It won't stick. Duct tape did.

Oh, do not avoid screaming if you get benzoine into a blister. Just let it flow.

Bill....

eyahiker
08-28-2004, 16:06
;) Denise, give some good thought to the Asolo's. I have not had one problem with them and the fit is worth the few xtra $.

cupcake
08-29-2004, 11:27
the fit is great. i tried on every brand in the store. --- the problem i'm having is durability. i am on my second pair of the same boot. the first pair had less than 140 trail miles on them when the seam on the tongue started to separate. the same thing is happening with my second pair. perhaps it's just a bad batch from where they were sewn. rei took the first pair back w/o any problems. and i'm sure they'll take this second pair back. maybe i should try a different model of asolo. with these boot/blister troubles, i've considered using a shoe instead. then, that opens a whole new can of worms on researching and trying on shoes.

LEGS
08-29-2004, 22:52
Hey, I Used To Get Blisters Everytime I Hiked Also. Last Year I Used Body Glide, Superfeet Insoles, And Wore Smartwool Heavy Socks. Worked Great, Put The Body Glide On My Feet Every Morning And Had No Blisters In Over 800 Miles. Also A Good Tight Lace Up On The Lower Laces Helped Too. Keep Trying ,you'll Find The Right Method Soon, Happy Hiking.

TedB
08-30-2004, 02:10
Corn pasta sucks

I'm a big Ray Jardine fan, but the corn pasta stuff always made me laugh. Did you really eat that stuff? hahahahaha

Now his theory on blisters is interesting. Not that I put a lot of weight in it, but still, it is interesting.

The smartest backpacker I ever met decided that on his very first backpacking trip, against the advice of others, that he would wear shoes, and to hell with boots and all the problems they cause. This was back in the dark ages of backpacking, before Ray Jardine had popularized the use of running shoes. Oh, the pain I would have avoided if I were as smart as he.

P.S. If you want some real trail food, I'll have to take you snipe hunting some time. hahahahaha

baseballswthrt
08-30-2004, 05:08
Do you just put the Body Glide on your heels? How often do you apply it?

Bill, I find the idea of pressure sores intriguing. As a former critical care RN, I had played with that thought in my mind....

Anita

baseballswthrt
09-07-2004, 05:56
Just got back from a 3 day hike in SNP. Instead of wearing my boots, I actually wore my cheap $20 tennis shoes I bought at Costco. I had NO blister problems! They definately need thicker soles and more arch support, but for the first time in my hiking life, I was able to hike the entire time without any blisters!

What should I look for in a trail runner? I would appreciate some advice on buying some!

Anita

The Scribe
09-07-2004, 21:01
My thanks to all who gave advice on this thread.

I had bought new boots at ll Bean in Feb. and walked in them forever and wore them to work. EVERY time I hiked (with or without a pack), I got blisters and they only got worse. Mt. Washington a month ago was the worst.

I got resized and exchanged the boots but I didn't want to take any chances with the 3-day I just did with Attroll. So I duct taped my heals.

NOT A SINGLE ISSUE.

Now I know the boot might have helped but since duct tape is the official fastener of Maine, I have to give it some of the credit.

Thanks for the advice.

The only thing I would add is that I thought someone said here the tape is good for days. I changed it daily as the skin underneath was all white and wrinkled like from being in the bathtub all day. Can't imagine what that would look like after a couple of days.

pcm

orangebug
09-07-2004, 23:24
I just broke in a pair of Asics Gels this weekend on a 28-30 mile section. I got them at a runner's shop in Boston while I had the chance and when my old joggers were dying.

They were comfortable immediately in Boston and around Atlanta. I was suspicious how they would do in real hiking conditions. I didn't like the fashion statement as they had some pink on them. I wanted to make sure no one thought I was a Girly-Man Section Hiker. They have a fairly agressive tread pattern. They are very shock absorbant, of interest after back surgery in March.

At the end of the hike, they show no signs of color and very little wear. They are dirty as anything. On me, everything hurt except my feet. I had a brief hot spot under my left fourth toe, probably from having pretty wet socks and only bringing one pair for the weekend. I had planned to try out running socks with my OR low gaitors, but lost them somewhere (Jerry's Cabin, I suspect).

Skin and blisters under several days of duct tape look white and shriveled. Day one is little better than day 5.

Bill...

Youngblood
09-08-2004, 09:25
...The only thing I would add is that I thought someone said here the tape is good for days. I changed it daily as the skin underneath was all white and wrinkled like from being in the bathtub all day. Can't imagine what that would look like after a couple of days.

pcm

You need to be careful pulling duct tape off. In the wrong conditions the adhesive can be strong enough to pull skin off with it.

Youngblood

flyfisher
09-08-2004, 09:51
I have problems with recurring blisters on my heels.

Has anyone tried Body Glide ? How does it work? We are currently looking at trail runners to see if that will help.

My current base weight in my pack is 16 lbs and with 5 days of food and water I was around 25 lbs.
Anita

I had never had a problem with a heel blister until changing to a pair of new jungle boots for my latest hike. Two weeks later, I am still in the recovery stage. I don't know if the blister was because of wearing boots or because of wearing new boots. (Silly me, they felt comfortable but were not trail tested.)

I have used both trail runners (New Balance 806 and Nike ATG Yahats) and sandals (Chacos) without heel blisters.

I have successfully used Body Glide for blisters. They work great on blisters on the little toe, especially the sort that develop between the toes. On two hikes I have had success with it decreasing the problem and also with not breaking the blister.

I wrote a report on it here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Toiletries/Bodyglide/Owner%20Review%20by%20Rick%20Allnutt/

I have had only partial success with heel blisters using body glide.

I have not had success with another recommended skin treatment: Udder Balm.