PDA

View Full Version : Open House Dec. 5 at ATC w/Gene Espy

Lauriep
11-29-2009, 13:05
ATC invites you to our annual Holiday Open House on Saturday, December 5 in Harpers Ferry, WV from 9 am to 5 pm. The highlight this year will be having Gene Espy (second A.T. thru-hiker) up from Georgia to sign his book, The Trail of My Life.

Three Jetboil stoves will be given away in a drawing of names among those who purchase a new ATC membership ($10 off the the $35 rate for this event) at the open house.

Lower-town Harpers Ferry (including The Outfitter) is celebrating Old Tyme Christmas with old-fashioned decorations and special activities sponsored by the town (http://www.historicharpersferry.org) and Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (http://www.nps.gov/hafe).

Hope to see some WhiteBlazers here next weekend! If you can't make it then, we're now open we’re open 9am to 5 pm seven days a week, year round, (except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s).

Laurie P.
Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org)

Cookerhiker
11-29-2009, 13:12
Ahh, this is one of those times when I wish I hadn't moved so far away. Have a good time everyone!

Mango
11-29-2009, 14:12
Laurie,
Can't make it, but thanks for the invite. Enjoyed you and supporting cast in the Nat'l Geog. special on the AT. You were the only one I recognized.

everydayhiker
11-29-2009, 14:23
Man, That sound awesome. To bad I have to do a retirement ceremony this weekend for a weekend warrior. I would love to get a autograph sig.

CrumbSnatcher
11-29-2009, 21:29
too broke, too far, wish i could make it!!!

TOW
11-29-2009, 22:39
Dang, I would love to go but work I have much to do......

Lauriep
12-01-2009, 14:13
I just found out there are all kinds of fun things going on downtown Harpers Ferry on Saturday, especially for kids. But I like the idea of a wine tasting after breakfast with Santa--you might need that after hearing what your child tells you he or she wants for Christmas.

Breakfast with Santa.
Wine Tasting.
Balloon Sculptures at the Train Station.
Cookie Decorating.
Sini Magic performances on the street.
Sior Og, Celtic concert, St. Peter’s.
North Hagerstown Chorus, St. Peter’s.
Wonderment Puppet Theater at the Train Station.
Living Nativity, St. Peters.
Ghost Tours.
Bake Sale & Soup Sale - All day.

More info at http://www.historicharpersferry.com/calendar.php.

Bulldawg
12-03-2009, 22:46
I was fortunate to meet Gene at SoRuck last January. What a sweet man and his life story is unbelievable. His book is a must read for anyone who has ever set foot on the AT. Seeing him in person and hearing him tell his story is priceless. If you are remotely in the area, try not to miss this.

Helios
12-04-2009, 13:29
I'll be there bright and early!!! Very much looking forward to this event.

Lauriep
12-04-2009, 17:15
We'll look forward to seeing you, Crazy Legs!

Let's hope the precipitation forecast for tomorrow falls as rain. Fortunately Gene and his wife Eugenia are already here. Gene is being interviewed by a reporter from the Hagerstown Herald Mail right now.

Laurie

Helios
12-04-2009, 17:19
We'll look forward to seeing you, Crazy Legs!

Let's hope the precipitation forecast for tomorrow falls as rain. Fortunately Gene and his wife Eugenia are already here. Gene is being interviewed by a reporter from the Hagerstown Herald Mail right now.

Laurie

It's only supposed to be 1 or 2 inches of snow at most. Not going to stop me, even if I have to hike there! :D

Jester2000
12-04-2009, 17:23
Fortunately, it's not too far for me to travel! See you there!

Lauriep
12-04-2009, 18:11
Since we've already had calls from people who don't want to brave the soggy weather tomorrow but can come Sunday, we'll extend the Open House to last the whole weekend (homemade cookies, reduced price memberships, Jetboil stove drawing among those who purchase new or gift memberships).

Gene Espy will stay until noon on Sunday.

Helios
12-05-2009, 13:51
Gene was definitely worth the trip to visit. He and his wife are amazing and wonderful to chat with. We talked for a while and the stories he told seemed so fresh in his mind. My wife said, as we walked out the door, that answers that question...you're never going to stop talking about this trail!!

Rain Man
12-05-2009, 15:18
Not to steal any thunder, but Gene has agreed to come to Nashville in February to speak to our little annual gathering. I'll be posting details once I select a date.

In the meantime, enjoy him up north! :D

Rain:sunMan

Jester2000
12-05-2009, 15:52
Just stopped by and saw Gene, picked up his book, and had some cider and white blaze cookies. Very nice to see everyone at ATC! Thanks for having the event!

Lauriep
12-06-2009, 07:10
Gene and his wife Eugenia are staying on from 9-12 today. If you missed him yesterday due to snow come on by!

Great meeting Crazy Legs and seeing his excitement for his upcoming thru-hike. He's one of the most pumped-about-thru-hikers hikers I've met this year. Crazy Legs--you are going to love your hike! It was obvious Gene really enjoyed meeting you--he was still talking about you quite a while after you left.

Thanks for coming by, Jester and bringing your mom. Always good to talk to you!

Thanks to our volunteers who helped out at the Open House, especially "Babu" and "I'll Try", who were there the whole day, and staff members who helped out and baked (and Southern Harp too!)

Thanks also to Al & Alison Alsdorf at The Harpers Ferry Guest House for hosting Gene and Eugenia both evenings.