PDA

View Full Version : "Lifetime Miles"?

Shutterbug
11-29-2009, 17:30
I noticed in the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine that they have started listing the "Lifetime Miles" for the people they quote in the magazine. My first thought was who keeps a record of their lifetime miles? I assume that the number is an estimate.

I then tried to estimate what my "Lifetime Miles" would be. I wonder if there are any commonly accepted rules for determining which miles to count? For example, my wife and I walk 3 miles a day, six days a week. Do those daily walks count toward my lifetime miles or do I count only the miles done on a hiking trail?

I wear a pedometer that shows how far I walk each day. The daily average is a little over 5 miles a day. Do thoses mile count toward my "Lifetime miles?"

The highest number of the experts listed in Backpacker Magazine was 20,000 lifetime miles. I did a quick calculation -- if I added up my "normal" walking (5 miles a day X 66 years), I come up with 126,000 miles. It seems obvious that they are not counting all of their walking, but I found no explaination of what it takes to count as a "lifetime mile."

Do any of you know the rules for estimating a "Lifetime Mile?"

Pacific Tortuga
11-29-2009, 17:39
[quote=Shutterb

Rules, rules, there are no stinkin' rules at estimating, "Lifetime Miles"

Who can have the most believable BS, in their guess.

*on steroid's*

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 17:39
Never heard of any "rules" for this sort of thing, and in my experience there aren't a whole lot of people who keep track of their personal accumulated mileage with any degree of accuracy, either because they don't really know the actual figure, or more likely because they believe, quite rightly, that nobody else really cares. :D

Lone Wolf
11-29-2009, 17:42
what are the experts in BP mag "experts" at?

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 17:45
Car camping

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 17:46
Shelter hopping

max patch
11-29-2009, 17:49
Best estimate of backpacking miles.

estimate=number pulled out of azz for most people.

Mags
11-29-2009, 17:50
No idea..nor do I care.

Do I add just my thru-hikes?
Should I add in my weekend backpacks?
Night hikes?
Quick hikes after work?
What about ski tours or snowshoes?
Runs?
Does it count only if I carry a pack?

Baaah..too much to worry about.

(I have to do some grocery shopping. I am walking there. Should I count that? ;) )

Tin Man
11-29-2009, 17:50

hiking from the car to all the sponsors head offices

Lone Wolf
11-29-2009, 17:51
i bet i've biked more on the AT than anyone

Pacific Tortuga
11-29-2009, 18:13
i bet i've biked more on the AT than anyone

On the hog ?

Tin Man
11-29-2009, 18:14
On the hog ?

schwinn
http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/67/0003867567401_500X500.jpg&size=4&dhm=8e663cff&hl=en

kayak karl
11-29-2009, 18:23
just walking or walking and running? if i could add my running at the mouth, i'd be up there.:D

A-Train
11-29-2009, 18:29
Odometer malfunction!

Lone Wolf
11-29-2009, 20:09
On the hog ?

i don't ride on pigs. i'm talkin' bicycle

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 20:58
Keeping track of mileage means you have way too much time on your hands, go hike more and stop counting

Cookerhiker
11-29-2009, 21:09
I don't know; no time to figure out such an important statistic. I'm too busy counting the blades of grass on my front lawn.

CrumbSnatcher
11-29-2009, 21:12
my pickup has 265,000 on it. does that count?

Johnny Thunder
11-29-2009, 21:14
Johnny Thunder: One Million Miles....hahahaha.

Number Two: Actually sir, that's not a lot of miles anymore.

Johnny Thunder: One...hundred...uhh...Million Miles...hahahahahaha

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 21:15
Johnny Thunder: One Million Miles....hahahaha.

Number Two: Actually sir, that's not a lot of miles anymore.

Johnny Thunder: One...hundred...uhh...Million Miles...hahahahahaha

A GAZILLION MILES muahahahahahahaahah

BrianLe
11-29-2009, 21:54
Funny you mention this, I noticed the same thing and for the heck of it tried to put together my own "lifetime miles" yesterday using a little spreadsheet. The "rules" I somewhat arbitrarily used were what Max Patch suggested: backpacking miles. I left out mountain climb approaches and day hikes and walking around my neighborhood, etc.

It wasn't that difficult; most years I do a fairly small number of backpacking trips, often in fair chunks, and in most cases had actually noted total miles, plus on major trails like PCT, AT, etc there are defined mileages to reference.

It seems like a kind of fun number to know, in a way, so long as it doesn't make a person seem (or act) arrogant or assume some sort of mantle of uber-experience or anything like that. Sort of like how a person can either get 10 years of experience at a job or just have 1 year of experience 10 times over the same decade of work. I think it's possible for a person to rack up a tremendous number of miles doing things more or less the same way, with all sorts of remaining untapped avenues of learning and growth.

Bulldawg
11-29-2009, 22:03
I do like to sorta haphazardly keep up with my yearly mileage. I always like to try to surpass my previous year's mileage. I'm not overly anal about it though and I certainly don't go around posting it to the internet. I did throw it up to a big fat overweight guy at work who was getting on my nerves one time.

The Weasel
11-29-2009, 22:09
Never heard of any "rules" for this sort of thing, and in my experience there aren't a whole lot of people who keep track of their personal accumulated mileage with any degree of accuracy, either because they don't really know the actual figure, or more likely because they believe, quite rightly, that nobody else really cares. :D

One legitimate exception is many Scouts and their leaders. Most Scout Troops (and related units such as Venture Crews) use computer recordkeeping for advancement purposes and for other awards, which includes all events, including backpacking trips and day hikes. These include entries for miles, which can matter for a Scout for different advancement purposes. For consistency, the "event" will have the number of miles entered, and all participants will get "credit" for them. Entries showing leader participation will also then show accumulated miles, for all authorized events. This will NOT show "non-Scout" events, however.

TW

Hooch
11-29-2009, 22:13
I got enough crap in my daily life to keep track of. My "liftime miles" aren't significant to me or anyone else, for that matter. Just get out, hike, enjoy, repeat.

GeneralLee10
11-29-2009, 22:42
Does every 1 mile section I surveyed count? If so man look out.

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 22:47
I know there are some folks who'll be shocked to hear this from me but I'm gonna say it anyway:

Gotta disagree with Max Patch about the backpack thing. I've hiked many a long mile over the years as a day hiker or with a small pack. Some of these miles were on the A.T. and many were not. But these were absolutely "hiking" miles, so I do not think one needs to carry a full pack all of the time in order for one's miles to "count."

And this applies to everyone. :D

Red Beard
11-29-2009, 22:56
Sounds like when calculating "Lifetime Miles" HYOH rules seem to apply.

SassyWindsor
11-29-2009, 23:28
Have met some (rookies outside flat Florida) backpackers who were planning on a 3 day 30 mile hike in NC. They said they could do the same miles in about 2 days with the weight they were carrying in Florida. Well, they did about 15 miles in the 3 days. Seems they forgot to take elevation into account. They were completely dumbfounded and were in disbelief how much difference a few hills made.

I've hiked some trails without gear that was twice as difficult as I have with gear, and vice-versa. So, I just count all of them.

jesse
11-30-2009, 00:09
He who dies with the most lifetime miles wins.

Shutterbug
11-30-2009, 00:12
Funny you mention this, I noticed the same thing and for the heck of it tried to put together my own "lifetime miles" yesterday using a little spreadsheet. The "rules" I somewhat arbitrarily used were what Max Patch suggested: backpacking miles. I left out mountain climb approaches and day hikes and walking around my neighborhood, etc.

It wasn't that difficult; most years I do a fairly small number of backpacking trips, often in fair chunks, and in most cases had actually noted total miles, plus on major trails like PCT, AT, etc there are defined mileages to reference.

It seems like a kind of fun number to know, in a way, so long as it doesn't make a person seem (or act) arrogant or assume some sort of mantle of uber-experience or anything like that. Sort of like how a person can either get 10 years of experience at a job or just have 1 year of experience 10 times over the same decade of work. I think it's possible for a person to rack up a tremendous number of miles doing things more or less the same way, with all sorts of remaining untapped avenues of learning and growth.

How many did you come up with?

txag
11-30-2009, 00:35
I have hiked 1919 miles since 1998. Mileage is measured from the trailhead after getting out of the car - no daily "life" mileage allowed. A planned run counts according to my later rules. (Spreadsheet available upon request - LOL).

Did this just to keep track of the hikes over the years....and make sure the mileage does not decrease as I get "less younger".

I am an engineer - maybe that could account for my anal-ness.....

RedneckRye
11-30-2009, 01:37
You know it is going to be a good thread when the first page gets responses from a bunch of the heavy hitters ....
Lone Wolf, Jack, Tin Man, Max, Mags, A-train, Chaco, Cookerhiker, Johnny Thunder, Crumbsnatcher, Kayak Karl, Pac Turtle.
Between all of them, they probably have at least 60,000 posts.
As far as miles go, most of these folks have quite a few miles, some of them maybe not.
How do you figure it and who cares?
Looking at the list, having met most of the folks on the list I can't wait to hike A mile with any of them.

Dogwood
11-30-2009, 01:59
I don't know how Backpacker does add up those miles. Perhaps, you should be asking them this question directly instead of seeking answesr from all those here on WB!

For me, arriving at a roughly accurate trail mileage total is rather easy. I virtually only do thru-hikes so those miles are common knowledge to those that thru-hike the major trails here in the U.S. If I'm hiking in a National Park I almost always go out on multiple day trips and I have to have a fairly accurate trail mileage total to prepare for how much food to carry and time to allow. Plus, I like maps so that always helps in having a close idea of how many miles my planned trek is going to be. Add em up! There you go!

In the end, I don't really make a big deal of it though!

I think Backpacker is trying to make the pt. that the folks giving reviews actually have spent considerable mileage out on a trail. In other words their reviews aren't done by people living solely out of a catalog, in a manufacturing facility, or at an outfitter! Brings some measure of respectability and experience into play. Don't you think?

Dogwood
11-30-2009, 02:02
See, this is what happens when you ask questions like that here on WB. People, like me, spell the word answers as answesr as an answer!!!

BrianLe
11-30-2009, 05:21
Shutterbug asked: "How many did you come up with?"

In the context of some of the prior comments on this thread, I'd just as soon not say ... !
Seriously, I did it for my own interest/amusement, and my wife was interested too (at least insofar as I was asking about trips she and I did together).

I do agree that it's "not important" for the most part, should definitely not be used in some sort of competitive, one-upmanship sort of way, i.e., "I have X lifetime miles and you only have Y miles, so my opinion counts more than yours" --- meh.

To the separate discussion of "what to include" when counting miles, I'll point out that it was a whole lot easier counting just backpacking miles --- I suspect that most of us have done a whole lot more day hikes than backpacking trips, and in my case at least, I tend to have more readily available details about the backpacks.

TJ aka Teej
11-30-2009, 07:12
I once read a register entry where a guy was counting the trail miles on a 7 mile round trip from road to lean-to as part of a southbound section hike, a northbound section hike, a this-hike and a that-hike, and his lifetime total AT mileage. The register was on the counter next to the doughnuts at Abol Bridge.

jersey joe
11-30-2009, 10:40
One legitimate exception is many Scouts and their leaders. Most Scout Troops (and related units such as Venture Crews) use computer recordkeeping for advancement purposes and for other awards, which includes all events, including backpacking trips and day hikes. These include entries for miles, which can matter for a Scout for different advancement purposes. For consistency, the "event" will have the number of miles entered, and all participants will get "credit" for them. Entries showing leader participation will also then show accumulated miles, for all authorized events. This will NOT show "non-Scout" events, however.

TW
I have the same experience Weasel. When I was in scouts we would keep track of miles that each scout had, both backpacking and on day hikes. Every now and then we would go on adventure trips where the number of boys had to be limited, like rock climbing and caving. The boys with the highest number of miles would be the first ones with an opportunity to go on the trips.

Manwich
11-30-2009, 10:53
I keep a thorough track of the AT miles I've done since 2008 as that's when I got serious about section hiking, but I'm a numbers-geek.

http://www.thetrailwiki.org/User:Totem

Shutterbug
11-30-2009, 12:46
I noticed in the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine that they have started listing the "Lifetime Miles" for the people they quote in the magazine. My first thought was who keeps a record of their lifetime miles? I assume that the number is an estimate.

I then tried to estimate what my "Lifetime Miles" would be. I wonder if there are any commonly accepted rules for determining which miles to count? For example, my wife and I walk 3 miles a day, six days a week. Do those daily walks count toward my lifetime miles or do I count only the miles done on a hiking trail?

I wear a pedometer that shows how far I walk each day. The daily average is a little over 5 miles a day. Do thoses mile count toward my "Lifetime miles?"

The highest number of the experts listed in Backpacker Magazine was 20,000 lifetime miles. I did a quick calculation -- if I added up my "normal" walking (5 miles a day X 66 years), I come up with 126,000 miles. It seems obvious that they are not counting all of their walking, but I found no explaination of what it takes to count as a "lifetime mile."

Thanks for the responses. They are pretty much what I expected:

1) There is no commonly understood definition for "lifetime miles." I am a pilot. Pilots are required to log their hours, and most pilots can tell you their lifetime hours as a pilot. I wasn't aware of any such standard for hikers.

2) Most people don't care about "lifetime miles." I fall in that category only because I think the numbers are "made up." If they were reported accurately, they would help separate those who have real experience from those who just like to write about it. Over time, the numbers might come to mean something.

3) Many WB participants don't care for Backpacker Magazine. Personally, I find it to be worth the cost. I travel often and enjoy learning about hiking opportunities around the country. I judge the credibility of the magazine based on how well they report the trails that I have hiked. I find their trail descriptions to be accurate most of the time.

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 12:57
3) Many WB participants don't care for Backpacker Magazine. Personally, I find it to be worth the cost. I travel often and enjoy learning about hiking opportunities around the country. I judge the credibility of the magazine based on how well they report the trails that I have hiked. I find their trail descriptions to be accurate most of the time.

Trail ideas is about all the Backpacker offers today that is worth anything. Haven't tried too many of them though. Good to hear they are accurate. I wonder if the trails reported see an increase in traffic. After a report on an area in the Adirondacks in the 90's that I used to frequent, I definitely saw a marked increase in traffic.

Mags
11-30-2009, 12:57
I suspect that most of us have done a whole lot more day hikes than backpacking trips, and in my case at least, I tend to have more readily available details about the backpacks.

But what if you do an overnighter on skis or snowshoes? Does that count? :)

Or is that "cheating" because I get the gravity assist on skis? ;)

Gets too confusing.

I am in great shape, my gear tends to be beat up, I have lots of photos, some good memories and some excellent friendships.

All the measurement I need. ;)

Personally, I find it to be worth the cost.

(re: Backpacker Magazine)

Me too! I read it for free at the local library! :D
(Then again, it is how I read all my magazines)

Being serious, I am not one to bash Backpacker magazine, but due to market fluctuations it is more an all purpose outdoors magazine that happens to be called Backpacker. Most of the articles are about peak bagging, day hikes, what to do in towns, and other non-backpacking related articles.

I don't blame the magazine (people disagree with me, but backpacking is down overall) as they have to make something that people will buy. OTOH, it is only moderately a backpacking magazine.

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 13:01
But what if you do an overnighter on skis or snowshoes? Does that count? :)

Or is that "cheating" because I get the gravity assist on skis? ;)

Gets too confusing.

I am in great shape, my gear tends to be beat up, I have lots of photos, some good memories and some excellent friendships.

All the measurement I need. ;)

One reason I hike is to get away from all the meaningless 'measurements' people use to judge each other. :)

sheepdog
11-30-2009, 13:01
I keep track of my AT miles because I'm a section hiker. Gotta know where I been, to know where to go to finish the whole trail. Don't keep track of my other miles.

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 13:05
I keep track of my AT miles because I'm a section hiker. Gotta know where I been, to know where to go to finish the whole trail. Don't keep track of my other miles.

I agree that's fun for any major trail. Kind of fun to know your total backbacking miles too. All in all, it only means something to the individual. Using it to judge others is ridiculous.

Pacific Tortuga
11-30-2009, 13:25
One reason I hike is to get away from all the meaningless 'measurements' people use to judge each other. :)

Amen, and pass the bottle or gorp.

Manwich
11-30-2009, 13:34

One reason some hike is to build up on their meaningless measurements. :)

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 13:41
I agree that's fun for any major trail. Kind of fun to know your total backbacking miles too. All in all, it only means something to the individual. Using it to judge others is ridiculous.

One reason some hike is to build up on their meaningless measurements. :)

I amended that to meaningless to judge others. :)

garlic08
11-30-2009, 15:08
I think the original question is a good one, and every once in a while, usually when I'm out walking, I think of posting it here but I always forget when I'm at the computer. Great responses so far, and no horn-tooting at all, about what I'd expect.

I still keep loose track of my own, like to the nearest 1,000 miles. When I pass an even 1,000, I feel good about it, sort of like turning the odometer over on an old car with only 5 digits. I only count long-distance trips, and use something I saw in some ATC or AMC literature defining that as more than 100 miles. So my daytrips and overnighters aren't included in my count.

The reason I do so is to compare with some really legendary hikers I hear about once in a while. From what I know about them, I think they would only count long-distance hikes, but I've never asked. Curiously, I never hear the number from the hikers themselves, always from someone else. The only exceptions I've seen are websites like Andrew Skurka's and Walkin' Jim Stoltz's, but these guys are professionals and rely on sponsorships, sales, and engagements to make a living.

Buzz_Lightfoot
11-30-2009, 15:35
"Lifetime Miles"?

Sounds to me a method for someone whose ego too big for their head to allow themselves to feel superior to those with less "lifetime miles".

These poeple miss the point.

Sheesh.

mudhead
11-30-2009, 15:46
I wonder if the trails reported see an increase in traffic. After a report on an area in the Adirondacks in the 90's that I used to frequent, I definitely saw a marked increase in traffic.

Was a study about that. Maybe a link was posted here awhile back. I assure you that anything that gets written about in the paper, gets pounded on.

At least in Maine.

healthymom
11-30-2009, 16:12
I don't know mine. I could figure it out if I wanted to because I keep a journal while hiking that includes in each day's entry the miles as recorded on my pedometer as well as what the guidebooks or maps say. I journal after my son goes to sleep. He goes to sleep about a 1/2 hr after dark. I'm usually up later so I fill that time with journaling, reading and looking at what we're in for tomorrow.
Having said that, I never journal the last day of a trip.
So, I could go back through my trail journals and add up the miles, but why? As many have said, it's only important to ourselves if at all.
Dee
healthymom

jersey joe
11-30-2009, 18:07
"Lifetime Miles"?

Sounds to me a method for someone whose ego too big for their head to allow themselves to feel superior to those with less "lifetime miles".

These poeple miss the point.

Sheesh.
I really don't see the harm in the publication pointing out to the readers that the people writing about backpacking/hiking have actually done a bunch of backpacking/hiking. As to the exact number of miles...well...

Stellbell3
11-30-2009, 18:11
I don't think you could ever really know your lifetime miles, everyone would have a different way of calculating it. And who cares how many miles you have walked in a lifetime anyways. Is that why we walk/hike?

Mags
11-30-2009, 19:11
I really don't see the harm in the publication pointing out to the readers that the people writing about backpacking/hiking have actually done a bunch of backpacking/hiking. As to the exact number of miles...well...

I really have no philosophical problem with people keeping track of miles. Even if I "only" counted backpacking miles...well, that's a long time and it never occurred to me. :) I honestly wouldn't know what I have.

Doesn't really matter I guess. If you kept track of it..go for it. Kinda cool you have that info.

As I said, between hiking, weekend backpacks, thru-hikes, trail runs, etc and winter activities (some of it overnight)...well, who knows.

One time a similar question was asked on another thread.

My answer was "Somewhere between a little and a lot". :)

That answer is still true. About as accurate as I'll ever be.. :sun

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2009, 19:20
I've lived in Hanover since the summer of 1996.

When here in New Hampshire, which is around six months of the year, I walk into town from my house just about every day. On many occasions I've done it more than once. In addition to various town stuff and errands, two of my jobs over the years have either been located ON the Trail (like Main St.) or have involved walking there via the Trail. Then, there are all the miles I've done on Main St. during the day. In any case, I suppose it adds up, tho for obvious reasons, I've never kept track of this.

I conservatively estimate I've got around 4500 A.T. miles within downtown Hanover itself, but in truth, I haven't the faintest idea of the actual figure and i have no interest whatsoever in pursuing this. What kind of maroon would keep track of this sort of thing?

Does this walking count as Trail miles? Or "lifetime miles"? Beats me. :D

I bet Lone Wolf has thousands of "Trail Miles" in Damscus, just as other friends have untold miles in Hot Springs or wherever.

In short, I guess if it counts to the individual, it counts. Of course, it doesn't much matter to anyone else, which is why virtually nobody I know of really keeps track of this sort of thing or publicizes it, i.e their accumulated "life" mileage, unless, of course, they are laboring under the mis-perception that anyone actually cares.

Anyone that makes an effort to do this and chooses to inform people of the updated figures of their "lifetime mileage"......well this is sort of sad.

Truly, nobody really cares.

Hike where you like, like where you hike.

But personal "Lifetime Miles"?

Ridiculous. Nobody could give a damn.

Pacific Tortuga
11-30-2009, 19:25
[

Ridiculous. Nobody could give a damn.[/quote]

Then what's with the resume' ? :-?

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2009, 19:26
I gave a hiking resume?

I talked about Hanover.

What are YOU talking about? :-?

Chaco Taco
11-30-2009, 19:29
You know it is going to be a good thread when the first page gets responses from a bunch of the heavy hitters ....
Lone Wolf, Jack, Tin Man, Max, Mags, A-train, Chaco, Cookerhiker, Johnny Thunder, Crumbsnatcher, Kayak Karl, Pac Turtle.
Between all of them, they probably have at least 60,000 posts.
As far as miles go, most of these folks have quite a few miles, some of them maybe not.
How do you figure it and who cares?
Looking at the list, having met most of the folks on the list I can't wait to hike A mile with any of them.

Wow, didnt think I was considered as a heavy hitter. Thanks man.

In terms of miles, I didnt start hiking seriously until 04. Did a thruhike, loved it and now, Im totally obsessed. Honestly, I dont really keep track of total miles in a trip. I guess as too how much I hike. I do like to see how many miles I do each day so I can push myself.

Luckily, we live in Asheville and we can get to the AT in 25 minutes. PLus we have so many other trails within 45 minutes of us.

I think keeping track of your own miles is your own affair, but when hikers try and flex themselves with their total miles, its kinda lame!

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2009, 19:39
Redneck was indeed too kind, Chaco.

Unless we're talking in the kitchen, no, you're not a heavy hitter.

Oh. Maybe they're counting Internet posts, and not miles.

But then again, you're young, and we expect great things from you. :D

Chaco Taco
11-30-2009, 19:43

If I didnt know you Id take offense to that old man;)

ARambler
11-30-2009, 20:08
It's ok to wear a 10k t-shirt, to put the year of your thru on the WB "sider", to apply for any other recognition, e.g.
Paul "Mags" Magnanti
AT 98, PCT 02, CDT 06
http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp (http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp)

So, I feel it's ok to list your lifetime miles. The best thing about miles is that there are no rules to violate, so certainly Whiteblaze posters will not hassle you about how you hike Mags' hike. oops, guess I'm wrong, flame away.:rolleyes: I can see how BACKPACKER or maybe a few others like Mags would like to see a backpack number, but my dayhikes have been a major part of my career and a lot of 15 mile days have been looog. I was in Boulder this month on my way to a party celebrating a friend hiking all 126 peaks in Rocky Mt Nat Park (after completing the Colorado 14ers). Most of these hikes were day hikes.

I feel that a milestone, like 10,000 miles, is more like winning the lottery, not like winning the Nobel Prize. Also, even though one set of miles may be more scenic or more rugged, that does not make the Nobel Peace Prize as valuable as the Chemistry Prize* Finally, a lifetime mile number does not imply that you have hiked all that you are interested in hiking and are now going to waste the rest of your days on a career, a family, complaining about injuries etc, like way too many thru hikers do.

* That's from a Chemical engineer's perspective, but many chemists have not cured poverty or not brought peace in the middle east, or this year, just done nothing, well.
Rambler

Lone Wolf
11-30-2009, 20:31

his walkin' days are over. he's gettin' hitched. babies to follow

Lone Wolf
11-30-2009, 20:33
I gave a hiking resume?

I talked about Hanover.

What are YOU talking about? :-?

he's talkin' about your WB profile.

Doctari
11-30-2009, 20:37
If it's anything like BP Rag's "bag nights" it's just random computer generated numbers.

the "bag nights" had number of nights in your sleeping bag / number of average daily miles.

The last time I looked, I think the average daily miles worked out (for bag nights) to around 14 FEET. Suffice it to say, I no longer read Backpacker Rag.

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2009, 20:47
Wolf:

Since you brought it up....

I just checked out my WB profile. Nowhere there, or anywhere else that I can think of, do I ever talk about my total accumulated "lifetime miles" either on the A.T. or anywhere else.

Do I have an approximate idea of this figure? Sure, maybe. But it'd be a wildass guess.

Do I know what this figure actually is, or care about it, or do I post it anywhere?

Nope. I don't know, and I don't much care. And neither does anyone else.

If you have an interest in this, well your interest is greater than mine.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2009, 20:51
If you have an interest in this, well your interest is greater than mine.

no kid, no interest but you seem to want folks know you have 7 complete thru-hikes in a certain time frame. that's what tortuga was alluding to

max patch
11-30-2009, 21:16
no kid, no interest but you seem to want folks know you have 7 complete thru-hikes in a certain time frame. that's what tortuga was alluding to

Pot, meet kettle:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=917037&postcount=32

Lone Wolf
11-30-2009, 21:17
Pot, meet kettle:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=917037&postcount=32
it ain't about me. i'm proud of my miles, just pointin' out what tortuga was askin'. stay out of it. y'all make it so complicated :rolleyes:

Mags
12-02-2009, 15:46
Hey..I just feel honored looked me up on the ALDHA-W site. :)

I never submitted it..a friend submitted it for me. :)

As for t-shirts, I do have some cool trail maintenance t-shirts that say volunteer on them ;)

I am still not sure what the heck Mr. Rambler means though...

As I said, I day hike, backpack, ski, trail run, snowshoe, and love to be outdoors. Just too lazy to keep track of it all....

I am an outdoors person first. Thru-hiking is just one of the ways I've been lucky enough to experience it.

If someone wants to go to my website, peruse my photo gallery and add up the miles (like Mr. ARambler), go for it! Add 10% for stuff not in the photos. ;)

BTW, I read the latest issue of BPer Mag at the library (for free..natch). I know two of the people in it. They are normal people like you and I. I suspect they just came up with a ballpark figure to make the article writer happy. :)

Doing a 2 mile R/T full moon hike tonight. I'll add it to the tally! ;)

Finally, a photo of my friend completing all his 14ers. Why? Because it was a huge accomplishment, he's a good friend and I like to spend time in the outdoors with friends.

My lifetime miles are still somewhere between a little and a lot. It's all good. :sun

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs191.snc1/6408_125894940020_563440020_3392901_5231483_n.jpg

ps. The year of my thru-hike is a Bible verse. Good one to look up... Catholic school WAS good for something after all!

sarbar
12-02-2009, 20:24
If ya'all read the thread over on BP's forums you'd see that in most of the cases the person quoted was pressured on the spot "for how many miles". Most people have no idea (or even care) how many lifetime miles they have on their feet (or butt if you are 4WheelBob!)

So don't look into the whole magazine thing toooo deeply. Deep reading it isn't!

brian2o0o
12-03-2009, 11:27
Do you lose miles for being a SOBO?

Bulldawg
12-03-2009, 11:27

Yes.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Tin Man
12-03-2009, 12:14

Absolutely NOT! You gain respect from those who know SOBO is best. :D

jersey joe
12-03-2009, 12:27

Ridiculous. Nobody could give a damn.
I disagree. I DO care how much someone has hiked if I intend to read what they write and take their advice.

For example: If someone has two weekend backpacking trips and says maildrop resupplies are worthless, I take it with a grain of salt. If someone has 7 thru hikes under their belt and advises against mail drops, I will seriously consider their advise.

Tin Man
12-03-2009, 13:50
I disagree. I DO care how much someone has hiked if I intend to read what they write and take their advice.

For example: If someone has two weekend backpacking trips and says maildrop resupplies are worthless, I take it with a grain of salt. If someone has 7 thru hikes under their belt and advises against mail drops, I will seriously consider their advise.

That makes sense to a point. Hypothecially speaking, a multi thru hiker may have developed his or her own style that works for them, but could be difficult for someone new to backpacking. For example and again hypthetically speaking, a multi thru hiker may recommend totally doing without mail drops, but as others have pointed out, a modified approach with limited drops waiting at home for you to call or using a bounce box or both could work better for some than doing without entirely. Sometimes those with less experience, but not your two weekend guy, could offer tips and tricks that are more attuned to someone starting out as they can relate more to you as a newcomer than someone with extensive miles who may have forgotten what it was like to be new.

In other words, don't rely totally on one or two sources with all the miles, but consider what others have to say as well, then form your own plan and be ready to change it if it isn't working for you. There really is no one best formula to success, because everyone is different.

Chaco Taco
12-03-2009, 18:34

Most people that have done 2 weeks of backpacking trips will probably have no idea what a mail drop is.

Just sayin:)

Montana AT05
12-03-2009, 20:51
"Lifetime Miles" = H-Peen.

Which means, Hiker-Peen.

Which means, a psychological extensive of the male, uh hum, member.

It's a lot like me telling uninterested parties how light my base weight is. Curse me! Bad me! /spank

Darwin again
12-03-2009, 21:53
"Lifetime Miles" is just the kind of nonsense you'd read in BACKPACKER and say, "***?" I save myself the trouble -- haven't looked at it in years.

Montana AT05
12-03-2009, 21:58
Darwin we found common ground on the BACKPACKER thing!

Mags
12-04-2009, 00:13
Darwin we found common ground on the BACKPACKER thing!

Read the board Sarbar mentioned or read the article. They are just normal hikers who were told to come up with a number that may or not be accurate. They all seemed pretty happy in the article.

No one claimed to be an "expert" or anything like that...just discussing their favorite hikes.

Now people who actually keep track of every single hike OTOH... :D

Montana AT05
12-04-2009, 14:14
I am talking about BACKPACKER the magazine--and how utterly useless I find it to be. The articles assume a reader has the attention span of a reality show audience member.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 14:25
Lifetime miles??? Well, my life hasn't been very long so far... How 'bout hiking lifetime miles? I started hiking four or five years ago, multiply by, oh what ever...

(lifetime in years)/(miles hiked during lifetime)AŽs3 + 6n+1, = AAAAAAHHHH.

Mags
12-04-2009, 14:36
I am talking about BACKPACKER the magazine--and how utterly useless I find it to be. The articles assume a reader has the attention span of a reality show audience member.

Me too! I actually read the blurb people mentioned. :)
(I like to thumb through it, along with other magazines, at the local library)

I'm just saying some of you are getting your panties in a twist over nothing. (Remember you are the guy who talked about h-peen. ;) )

The people in the blurbs just came up with a ballpark figure. Ain't no big deal. Most people, myself included, would have to BS a number of "lifetime miles". Give the people some slack is all I am saying. It's just for a silly little series of articles for people with the attention span of a reality show audience member. ;)

Montana AT05
12-06-2009, 16:35
Oh I don't care what the people in the blurbs said, I was just referring to BP in general.

People can talk about their miles all the want, heck, I like to challenge myself with long miles per day and per trip. I failed my own challenge in 2008, and if all holds up (including me) I am going at it again in 2010...this time substituting the AT for that horrible PCT (snooore!)

But you know as well I do that some people like to create hierarchies--whether on message boards in a "community" and in doing so, they recreate the very thing they claim to despise.

And in any case, most of the hikers (of whom I am aware) who have hiked significant miles, are quiet about it. You'd never know if you met 'em, because they've hiked enough to have gotten over themselves. I'm still not there yet. ;)

weary
12-06-2009, 23:45
Trail ideas is about all the Backpacker offers today that is worth anything. Haven't tried too many of them though. Good to hear they are accurate. I wonder if the trails reported see an increase in traffic. After a report on an area in the Adirondacks in the 90's that I used to frequent, I definitely saw a marked increase in traffic.
I was criticized when I started to write newspaper articles about Bigelow Mountain in Maine many years ago. Bigelow was then little known by most hikers. Maine folks mostly concentrated on the White Mountains. And an occasional trip to Baxter was considered a wilderness adventure.

I had no nefarious reasons. My job was to cover environmental matters in Maine, which at the beginning involved technical debates on water cleanups, and varied technical stories about proposed new power generating facilities, and oil refineries.

I sensed that few were really interested in reading about such complicated matters. So I began spending weekends with my family walking and backpacking trails in Maine, and writing about our experiences. Bigelow was simply relatively close, pretty easy to hike by three preteens, and just enough unknown to arouse reader curiosity.

So I did a half dozen stories over several years. I even took a group of high school kids, on a winter backpack to three Bigelow summits.

The message I got from trail veterans was that I was destroying a unique trail experience by attracting the great unwashed, i.e. those who unlike them had never heard of the mountain until I told them what a great expereince it might be.

Suddenly, however, developers also discovered Bigelow. They proposed creating the "Aspen of the East" on Bigelow's slopes. There ensued a referendum campaign aimed at snatching the mountain from the jaws of developers. To almost everyone's surprise, the referendum passed. The developers lost -- by a slim margin.

As the analyses began about why the referendum passed against all expectations -- and over the objections of Maine's political establishment (The governor ran a full page ad the weekend before the vote to urge a no vote) both sides began to blame me. Aside from reporting months earlier on some fun trips on the mountain with my wife and three babies, I had little to do with the vote. I was on a 10-day wilderness canoeing trip before and after election day.

Supporters of development said my innocent hiking and camping stories had helped block a major economic development opportunity for the state. Lovers of Bigelow suddenly thought that my several stories praising the mountain just might have supplied the slim margin of victory.

I've also criticized Backpacker for publicizing fragile trails. I was appalled at the crowds Backpacker brought to the 100-mile-wilderness a few years ago. But in moments of reflection I wonder whether the Nature Conservancy would have bought 50,000 acres of the wilderness, had not the magazine praised the wilderness in a national publication.

Perhaps we can even thank Backpacker for inspiring AMC to make the wilderness its first ever major land purchase in more than a century of AMC existence.

Weary

Tinker
12-06-2009, 23:56
In response to the original post:
My signature line, borrowed from Bill Bryson, says it all. I know what I have done and want to do and it gives me satisfaction in the doing. I don't need bragging rights or statistics to validate my experiences.
Others may keep stats. That's their right, and if it makes them happy I'm all for it.

Okie Dokie
12-07-2009, 00:11
Think of information for sale as just that - information for sale - .....when you're selling information you need new information to sell every day, or month, in the case of magazines, or you don't have anything to sell anymore amd you can't make payroll....think of Oprah - decent stuff for thought for a while - then, when you run out of decent stuff for thought, you end up giving away cars on your show with all the money you've made...and her frequent guest of the past few years, Dr Oz...gets his own show and has to think up stuff (actually his staff does) to make a certain number of new shows per year vs the few per year he did for Oprah...after a while, well you get the drift...nothing wrong with learning things for yourself without someone suggesting things for you to think about or investigate...be wary of intellectual (mental/emotional is more ap propo) snake oil, just as you would bottles full of the stuff sold off some wagon in the 1800s...

Treefingers
12-07-2009, 16:23
35 million miles and counting.......Im almost to Mars!

Chaco Taco
12-07-2009, 21:43
.Im almost to Mars!

It will probably look alot like this website, half the people here seem like they are on another planet

Old Hiker
12-08-2009, 09:10
Maybe they use the official miles for the trails they've hiked.

I would have no idea of how many miles I've gone or even how to add them up. "They" won't let me take my boots off to get to the high numbers.

One, two,...... many?

Lots?

Not near enough? Yeah. That sounds about right.

sheepdog
06-04-2010, 17:17
I multiply all my miles by seven

sheepdog miles