PDA

View Full Version : leaving my tent behind

tagg
11-29-2009, 20:20
I have a NF Tadpole 23. I know that I can use the fly with just the footprint and leave the tent at home, but I've only been on a couple of trips and haven't tried this yet. How functional is this? What if it rains - won't water get between the fly and footprint and into my sleeping area? If it weighs less and is easier to set up, what are the disadvantages?

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 20:38
I have a NF Tadpole 23. I know that I can use the fly with just the footprint and leave the tent at home, but I've only been on a couple of trips and haven't tried this yet. How functional is this? What if it rains - won't water get between the fly and footprint and into my sleeping area? If it weighs less and is easier to set up, what are the disadvantages?
1. If you are on a slope, yes water will get under.
2. If you are in a puddle area, you will get wet.
I have done this with the Rock 22 and it works good. Take another footprint like a piece of tyvek. You are losing the bathtub style floor.

Just dont leave your tent behind. You cant always depend on a spot in the shelter.

MintakaCat
11-29-2009, 20:52
what are the disadvantages?

Bugs in the warm weather months are sometimes a problem.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2009, 20:56

Are you talking thruhike? NOBO starting in March? If so, I think it's wise to bring a tent. Now I'm sure that some ultralighters will say you don't need one, that they didn't carry one but you're likely to have some frankly miserable weather - hard rain, freezing rain, snow. Also, a tent will insulate you better on cold nights.

After the weather warms up, you could jettision the tent until you reach NJ - then you'll need it for mosquitos!

Franco
11-29-2009, 21:42
I think that Tagg means the inner when he says "leaving the tent behind"
Franco

tagg
11-29-2009, 21:44
No, I started section hiking this year, so I'll only be out for a week or so at a time. I started at Springer in September and bugs weren't a problem, but of course I had to deal with some rain. The whole tent thing was kind of a pain when I was tired, and I'm just exploring alternatives. I stayed in shelters a couple of nights, and liked not having to mess with setting up and breaking down my tent, but I don't want to be restricted to them. Perhaps I'm just being lazy.

BrianLe
11-29-2009, 21:45
In terms of getting water coming in, I think that site selection is important; I plan to use a floorless tent (Gatewood Cape) starting out on the AT early this coming year.
You might have a look at extent threads on this topic, such as http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36314

tagg
11-29-2009, 21:46
Yes, Franco, I just meant the inner, actual tent part.

Franco
11-29-2009, 21:56
Yes, sorry. Re-reading the comments seems that everyone got that.
Franco