PDA

View Full Version : Help with mail drops...

Mishap
11-29-2009, 22:25
For those of you who have done thruhiked or long sectioned hike AND used maildrops these questions are for you. Im trying to put my maildrop locations together and am getting really frustrated. How often did you guys go into town? did you put everything you needed in the boxes or buy some small stuff along the way (toothpaste, toilet paper,etc.)? How much do you think all that postage cost you all together? Did you only go to post offices or some buisnesses along the way? I dont plan on staying too many nights in hostels or hotels so do they charge for accepting packages if your not staying there? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mishap

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 22:27
Lots of threads here on the subject. Just do a Search on "Re-Supply" or "Maildrops" and you'll find enough to keep you busy for hours.

Also, in the "Articles" section of this website there's lots of information on Mail, Re-Supply, how to send and receive mail while en route, how long each section of the Trail will likely take you to hike, etc. I suggest you start here.

Mishap
11-29-2009, 22:30
Will do. thanks.

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2009, 22:33
Mishap:

Within a few weeks, all of the 2010 Trail Guidebooks will be coming out. They are quite similar in terms of content and they'll all give you the information you're looking for, especially Post Office addresses, locations, and Service Hours. Also, these books will list just about all of the non-Post Office locations that will accept and hold hiker mail. Most of these are Outfitters on or near the Trail; motels; and hiker hostel/bunkhouses. Nearly all of these places hold mail at no charge or for a very nominal fee. A few others charge a slightly higher fee if you are not actually going to be an overnight guest at their facilities. In any case, info on all these places is found in the hiker Guides. Oh, and make sure you always have a good photo I.D. with you, as many places, especially Post Offices, will want to see one before turning over your mail.

You can examine the 2009 edition of one of these books for free by going to www.aldha.org and check out the On-Line version of The Thru-Hikers Companion.

A-Train
11-29-2009, 22:35
As far as mailing supplies, I wouldn't bother. I put things like batteries and film (the old days) into my few maildrops and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if you buy things in bulk and get a great deal at Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc.

From doing 2 long hikes I can tell you that it's easier to buy things like TP, batteries and toiletries on a need now basis rather than juggle superflous items that you've shipped from across the country. The AT has stores up and down the trail and while the mark-up does exist at some shops, the prices of postage would outweigh this.

singing wind
11-29-2009, 23:46
Ditto A-Train. There was a time years ago when maildrops were helpful, but now there are so many places to pick up what you need on an as needed basis + having lost some valuable items in the mail while hiking changed my mind about using maildrops. Overall I've found it easier to buy as you go, however YMMV.

Heaps of info. from previous threads here on WB.
Good luck!

squeezebox
11-30-2009, 01:27
What about maps?

reddenbacher
11-30-2009, 01:50
i had 44 boxes made up.found they were more trouble than shopping.there are things that are great to get,but not needed,tarlin was the best advice anywhere.5 boxes or a few more is all you need.and you can do that from tghe trail

reddenbacher
11-30-2009, 01:52
ps i still have 20 boxes made up.looks like i will have to hike 4 more years

Dogwood
11-30-2009, 02:07
Mishap, read that resupply article that JT mentioned!

The AT has the most opportunities for resupplying that I've ever encountered on any long distance trail(200 + miles) here in the U.S.

white_russian
11-30-2009, 02:11
What about maps?
I don't really consider those as normal mail drops. You can put a maps in a large envelope and it only cost a buck or two for first class mail. Do that maybe a dozen times and its not a big expense. Totally different animal than paying 10 bucks each for a flat rate box and then trying to make it up by buying in bulk and anticipating your appetite while doing something radically different.

Which maps to send where is a good question though.

Spokes
11-30-2009, 09:40
Mishap, to each his own. I agree with others here to read up on the available re-supply information but I'll share my experience with you. I planned and executed the maildrop thing on this years thru hike and looking back I would limit the number of drops to maybe 5-6. Why? Because it's just so easy to get into towns.

Think of it this way, the thru hike is a series of 4 (+/-) day hikes. You learn quickly how to adjust your supply stops by reading your guidebook on the trail.

I would definitely do a bounce box and fill it with all those hard to find items like travel size toiletries, meds, extra Aqua Mira or filters, camera memory cards, and small pads for our journal. Lot's of the small town stores don't carry that kind of stuff or charge primo for them.

God luck with your planning!

white_russian
11-30-2009, 10:21
I would definitely do a bounce box and fill it with all those hard to find items like travel size toiletries, meds, extra Aqua Mira or filters, camera memory cards, and small pads for our journal. Lot's of the small town stores don't carry that kind of stuff or charge primo for them.

I still can't see doing a bounce box for those things. For toiletries all I carry is baking soda for my teeth and its universally cheap. Even real toothpaste is not that expensive and you go through it quick enough that travel size is just going to cost you lots of extra money. A single roll of toilet paper free if you are in a hotel or if in a hostel just ask how much and they won't mind selling you one. If you need some liquid soap you can ask to buy a couple of ounces from the local diner, they will probably just give it to you for free so just add it to the tip. Same with cooking oil. Medication is usually not heavy at all, I can carry three months of my meds and resupply once, my back wouldn't know the difference. An extra memory card or two weighs practically nothing. Cheap notepads are pretty abundant at drug stores, but I just got a smartphone so that need is gone. I use a katadyn filter and you don't need to have a extra following you around in the mail, they last for a good while, maybe 5 for the whole trail if you put it in any old swill you come across. Don't know about aqua mira, but I sure saw it at a lot of places. You can get everything you need if you are the slightest bit creative.

squeezebox
11-30-2009, 10:28
consider the question asked. Which maps where and when?
what I'm thinking right now is mostly resupplying in towns. It's cheaper to buy a 2 lb container of oatmeal and give half of it away, than buy a bunch of too small packets. It does not seem cost effective to ship staples like rice and pasta.even in a bounce box. Here's what I'm thinking about mail drops and bounce boxes.
So a mail drop about once a month with maps and hard to get stuff, (like dried mushrooms from the chinese store) good time to consider sending something home.
arrange the bounce box with bulk containers of stuff, (spices, toiletries, maps etc.)
So how often do I send the bounce box up the trail. Every town stop sounds like a lot! every other sounds better about every week or so. Does this sound okay?? Would like to hear what you keep in your bounce box.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 12:28
For those of you who have done thruhiked or long sectioned hike AND used maildrops these questions are for you. Im trying to put my maildrop locations together and am getting really frustrated. How often did you guys go into town? did you put everything you needed in the boxes or buy some small stuff along the way (toothpaste, toilet paper,etc.)? How much do you think all that postage cost you all together? Did you only go to post offices or some buisnesses along the way? I dont plan on staying too many nights in hostels or hotels so do they charge for accepting packages if your not staying there? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mishap

First off, Jack if right. Search maildrops and you'll be flooded with more info than you wanted, but I find that lots of those threads are scattered, and I prefer to ask specific questions myself.

The best is to read the maildrops articles and advice, over the threads (which I think Jack also suggested).

Okay, I'm preparing for my thru right now, and have finished all planning. My advice is this: (with which many hikers here seem to agree) Don't do a huge amount of maildrops. I'm doing them for the first 5 or 6 weeks, and one or two at a difficult resupply, just to get into the swing of hiking, and by the time my maildrops have finished, the "hiker hunger" will have kicked in all the way and my cravings will probably have changed. So I can just go into town and buy what I need. If you want a copy of my mail drop "schedule" for an idea of what I'm doing, send me a pm.

PS- About cost. I'm lucky, I have a pile of about $135 worth of stamps just aching to be used- that should about cover all the maildrops I plan to do. But if you do a lot (depending on what you send) you may spend much more. Most hostels don't charge for holding a maildrop if you stay the night, a couple do.

The Weasel
11-30-2009, 17:36
Many disagree with me, but I think maildrops are very cost effective, if they are carefully planned. I think the following "rules" (I've never considered them formally, but this post is making me do that) apply:

1) Maildrops should be sent from the closest possible location to the receiving address. This can be accomplished by giving boxes to family/friends who you see in advance who are closer.
2) Only use US Postal Service "parcel post" since it is cheaper than all others.
3) Only use for items where the amount shipped will be used by next resupply/mail pickup
4) Only use for bulk items (pasta, rice, cheese powder, yellow grits, bacon bits, mashed potatoes, dried soups) where very large bulk purchases are possible at 50% or more from usual Walmart prices
5) Only use if address is close enough to trail to minimize effort/time/cost to pick up
6) If mailing paper (guidebooks, maps, etc) or film (few do anymore) make sure you use "media mail" which is cheaper
7) Avoid addresses that charge fees

I realize many don't want to do that kind of planning to save a few bucks. If you're a Scot or your is Pennsylvania Dutch (I'm both) maybe you do. :-?

TW

A-Train
11-30-2009, 17:41
consider the question asked. Which maps where and when?
what I'm thinking right now is mostly resupplying in towns. It's cheaper to buy a 2 lb container of oatmeal and give half of it away, than buy a bunch of too small packets. It does not seem cost effective to ship staples like rice and pasta.even in a bounce box. Here's what I'm thinking about mail drops and bounce boxes.
So a mail drop about once a month with maps and hard to get stuff, (like dried mushrooms from the chinese store) good time to consider sending something home.
arrange the bounce box with bulk containers of stuff, (spices, toiletries, maps etc.)
So how often do I send the bounce box up the trail. Every town stop sounds like a lot! every other sounds better about every week or so. Does this sound okay?? Would like to hear what you keep in your bounce box.

I did a bounce bucket the 2nd time cause apparently it was harder to get supplies on the PCT. Not so. More annoying than anything. After 2 months it got shipped home.

I'd send maps to the following place: Fontana Dam, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, DWG, Kent, Dalton, Gorham. All are places that would be good zero day locations, increasing the chance your maps will be there when you are.

Stellbell3
11-30-2009, 17:47
If I were to do a thru hike again I wouldn't do maildrops. Only food drops in certain places (Port Clinton, Caratunk, Glencliff etc.) but buy items on a need to buy basis. YOu'll end up carrying extra toothpastes the whole trip or putting them in hiker boxes.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 17:53
5) Only use if address is close enough to trail to minimize effort/time/cost to pick up

This is one reason I do like maildrops (even though I'm only using them in the beginning). Pretty minimal effort and confusion. Everything is all measured out, you don't end up having to buy boxes of ziploc bags and only use half of 'em, you can go right in and right out. Love it. Simplicity rocks.

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2009, 19:54
Gotta disagree with an above post.

I don't think maildrops are "cost effective" at all.

Even if you buy a whole lot of stuff in bulk at a discount, you're still going to be paying to mail yourself stuff that is freely available amost everywhere on the Trail.

Whatever you might "save" by buying in bulk ahead of time is negated by:

*The risk that your maildrop is too big and you either dump un-needed stuff
or spend more money posting it somewhere else.
*The risk that you get totally sick of the stuff you've pre-purchased and
boxed up ahead of time.....but you're stuck with it.
*One frequently gets food ideas from what other hikers are eating, but if most
of your food is pre-packed and in maildrops, you lack the chance to change
alter your diet with ideas and improvements

And of course, the biggest negative is the expense of postage plus being a slave to the postal system, i.e., making sure you arrive in town when a Post Office is open, the problem with Holidays, the risk of a lost parcel, etc.

Except in a few cases, unless one is on a specialized diet (vegan, kosher, etc.) or unless you've taken the time and trouble to dehydrate and prepare your own food ahead of time, most contemporary thru-hikers prefer to buy as they go, rather than send themselves food.

In truth, there are very few folks who've actually thru-hiked who advocate the maildrop approach. Most folks prefer to wing it and buy as they go, and truly, this is really easy to do. And think about it.......do you have any idea what you want to eat for lunch the day after tomorrow? No? Me neither. I haven't the faintest idea and I'd rather figure it out the day after tomorrow.
But with this in mind, why on earth should you decide on Valentine's Day (or whenever you seal up your maildrop boxes) what you're gonna be eating for lunch on September 14th.......cuz that's exactly what you'll be doing if you buy your food ahead of time thinking it's "cost effective".

Sure doesn't make much sense to me.

Tin Man
12-01-2009, 22:17
As others have said, limit the mail drops - they are NOT cost effective and NOT needed on the AT. The bounce box is a good idea though. Don't get too wrapped up in the planning and you will have more fun making it work as you go. The odds are against you finishing any long hike as planned - even those with the best intentions, the 'best' plan, and in the best of shape, change their mind or have life get in the way. Spend more effort on learning the re-supply method and just go with the flow. Enjoy your hike. :cool:

ARambler
12-02-2009, 18:15
So we have 20 replies and about 90% of them recommend against mail drops. Good advice, but off topic. Since this is an important topic to the poster and many others, I will throw out a few points.
1) Mail drops require a lot of planning. The poster does not want to stay in town (hostel or motel) but does not seem to have a plan if he arrives after the PO closes. It will require more time overall to do mail drops, but will save a little time in towns and many of us see the planning as constructive worrying. Good planning may lead you to few mail drops.
2) Mail drops are more justified if you have special requirements. I need dark chocolate M&Ms and prefer a large variety of freeze dried meals.
3) The fact that POs are not open as long as most stores is not a problem for mail drops and may be a positive. Say the second week you get to town early sunday and use this as an excuse to take a near-o. At the next hostel, you miss the last ride to town, so you take your box and hit the trail early the next day. Later in your hike, you hit town late Saturday, and buy food at the same store as everyone else, and forward your package.
4) See #3 above, most people ship by USPS Priority Mail (not parcel post), so they can easily forward their packages. See #1 above, a couple of hostels require UPS.
5) It is best to have a Manager of Materials (MOM) to handle your boxes. It is good to have flexibility for special items (like batteries) and ship important items (maps, new shoes, medicine?) to towns you are not going to arrive at on a weekend. You can also ship partially perishable items like tortillas. However, I usually buy tortillas/bagels/etc and cheese in town. The flexibility will require more planning for good instructions and extra phone calls for changes.
6) You want extra mail drops in the beginning, every 3 days is not too much. (I have hiked from Springer to my first resupply at Neels Gap without spending a night on the trail.) There are more hostels in the south, and you will appreciate the lighter pack.
Rambler

Mishap
12-02-2009, 19:27
Lots of good advice, however now Im even more confused because I dont know if i should do mail drops at all! Thanks for the link JT very helpfull. I welcome any more suggestions anyone might have. See you march 2010!

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 19:47
Mishap:

The places on the Trail where it makes some sense to send yourself food are actually few and far between.

What I mean are the places where it's either difficult to get food because of distance from the TRail and difficulty of hitching to a store, or because the available food options for hikers at these places are either minimal, limited, or expensive.

*For me, one of these places has always been the Natahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City, NC. This is primarily a rafting/kayaking facility but the A.T. goes right thru their property. While they have some food available for sale here, it is indeed limited and pricey, so a small food-drop here might be a good idea. Keep in mind you don't need to send yourself much as your next stop is likely Fontana Dam, less than 30 miles away.

*After this, there's no real need to send yourself food for quite awhile. As some folks have pointed out, Harpers Ferry might be a good spot for a drop, as there are NO markets of any size to speak of right in town; you do have limited options at the Outfitter and at a 7-11 a mile or so out of town. If you send stuff here, I suggest you send it to the A.T.C. Office or the Outfitters, which are open 7 days a week in hiker season, so it doesn't matter what day you arrive in town, you'll always be able to get your mail. Keep in mind, by the way, that you are not far from nearby Charles Town WV, which has all sorts of supermarkets, stores, and other services, and it is not that tough to get there from Harpers.

*Bear Mt. New York might not be a bad idea for a smal food drop, assuming the Post Office there is open and operating next year.

And believe it or not, that's about it, tho I sometimes send myself stuff to some of the small towns in Maine as their markets are limited (i.e. Andover and Monson); Rangeley has a major supermarket now and Stratton has a pretty good one. A small drop to Caratunk ME might also be a good idea.

Anyway, you'll be surprised how easy it is to re-supply while en route, and for all sorts of reasons, this is what most folks elect to do. In short, you'll certainly be getting all sorts of stuff from home.......gear, mail, care packages, maps, etc. But what you WON'T really be needing is food. In most cases, you'll be getting this as you go.

Tagless
12-02-2009, 20:10
Spokes shared...

Mishap, to each his own. I agree with others here to read up on the available re-supply information but I'll share my experience with you. I planned and executed the maildrop thing on this years thru hike and looking back I would limit the number of drops to maybe 5-6. Why? Because it's just so easy to get into towns.

Think of it this way, the thru hike is a series of 4 (+/-) day hikes. You learn quickly how to adjust your supply stops by reading your guidebook on the trail.

Our thru hike experience was very much in line with Spokes. Tag-along and I planned and shipped 18 mail drop boxes. This is the one aspect of our hike that we would do differently (i.e greatly reduce the number of drops). Using a bounce box to ship some of the unique items we wanted, particuarly Nido and Muscle Milk Protein Powder, worked very well for us. These items were not available in most towns we passed through.

Jack Tarlin's resupply article is extremely helpful to pinpoint where an occasional mail drop or shipment up the trail might be helpful.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 20:14
Some kind comments, but 2010 hikers should take note that the Article needs some overhaul and revision. In short, there are all sorts of other places where one can Re-supply that aren't necessarily in any versions of my article, (especially in the mid-Atlantic states) so I hope everyone obtains a 2010 guidebook when they become available, so they have the most up-to-date information possible.

All of the 2010 editions of the major annual Trail guides should be coming out sometime in January.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 20:26
In re. to my Post #24 above, a lot of hikers seem to go into Hamburg PA these days as it's not that tough to do, but otherwise a small maildrop to Port Clinton PA might not be a bad idea as the P.O. is very easy to get to. There's a small outdoor shop there but I have no idea what their food selection is like, nor do I know for sure they'll be open next year.

Appalachian Tater
12-02-2009, 21:53
Has anyone even mentioned the fact that the vast majority of people who start out to do a thru-hike don't finish? And that a lot of them quit after a week or two? What are you going to do with a lifetime supply of oatmeal packets and ramen?

I did no maildrops. The only places I would consider doing maildrops on another thru-hike would be Fontana Dam Village (or skip that place altogether!), Atkins, Linden, and Glencliff. And sufficient resupply is available in all of those places, just not the best selection or prices. Even in Atkins there is a good grocery store a little farther down the highway, the motel owner just didn't have time to take us that evening (but offered to do so in the morning.)

Glencliff maybe makes sense for a drop because you will probably be sending winter gear there anyway and there is a limited selection at the store they take you to.

Even in Harper's Ferry you can hop on a bus that runs right through town and go to a shopping center in Charles Town with a Super Walmart and other services.

Why would you do a mail drop in places like Franklin or Damascus or Kent where there are good grocery stores? You're probably going to want to buy ice cream, fresh fruit, yoghurt, beer, stuff like that, so you'll be going to the store anyway.

I have yet to see valid reasons for anyone to do drops unless they are on a special diet or really enjoy preparing and dehydrating fancy meals.

The best reason NOT to do maildrops is that a thru-hike is likely the best opportunity most hikers will have NOT to be on any kind of time schedule in their adult lives. It's nice to forget what day of the week it is and not be worried about it. Why cramp that by imposing structure with preplanned menus and worrying about getting to post offices or your box disappearing at the hostel? Eat what you want to when you want to. Split boxes of raisins and bags of M&Ms with other hikers if you want to save money. $250 worth of postage saved will make up the difference from buying a 20 lb. bag of rice.

And if you do a bounce box or mail drops don't use parcel post if you might want to forward it to another post office unopened. You can only do that with priority mail/first class.

Mango
12-02-2009, 22:22
I'll argue the contrarian view. I used 12 to 15 mail drops and was glad I did. Some things are just not available in most small towns and convenience markets, e.g., meds. I sent myself lots of freeze-dried foods that are available only on-line or in big cities. The f-d meats, veggies, and fruits gave variety to the monotony of Lipton sides, ramen, mashed potatoes, etc. Buy what you can along the trail (pastas, peanut butter, slim jims, pepperonis, honey, etc.) and augment with specialized stuff. I used flat rate boxes, which are probably higher on average than parcel post but more dependable, boxes are free from usps, and often cheaper (when the weight inside is high). I'd do it again.

Tin Man
12-02-2009, 22:35
This thread, like most, offers different ways to skin a cat. Sometimes it is is referred to as HYOH, or hike your own hike, but more often than not is hike it my way, everyone else is wrong. ;)

Don't sweat whether you pick from column A, B or C. All methods have worked for others and one can work for you. Just pick one that sounds like you. If you pick wrong, you can adapt and move on. It ain't really that hard or that important, "it's just walkin'".

ShelterLeopard
12-03-2009, 00:26
In re. to my Post #24 above, a lot of hikers seem to go into Hamburg PA these days as it's not that tough to do, but otherwise a small maildrop to Port Clinton PA might not be a bad idea as the P.O. is very easy to get to. There's a small outdoor shop there but I have no idea what their food selection is like, nor do I know for sure they'll be open next year.

And (this year anyway) the post master/ postal workers are really nice to hikers in Port Clinton. I got in, and he was asking all about my hike and the weather, and all that. A very small, friendly, efficient PO (from what I experienced)

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2009, 18:12
Tater made a really good point, cuz he actually spoke about the 800 pound gorilla in the living room that nobody wants to ever talk about but everyone knows is there.

For all sorts of reasons, a lot of folks who prepare and plan for a six-month hike don't finish one.

Bad enough your plans crash and burn and you end up back at home after a few weeks for whatever reason. But even worse if you then have to deal with 25 boxes full of $500.00 worth of hiker foood that you not only don't want to eat, but also do nothing but remind you of the trip that didn't work out.

I understand people that want to supplement their diet (for example Mango's post above was a good one) and as I've said, I understand folks who have a specialized diet or are really good with a dehydrator. But I'd be leery of buying six months worth of food ahead of time and boxing it up for future mailing. Think about it: It's ten after five right now......and you know what? I have no idea what I want to eat for dinner TONIGHT.

So why on earth would I want to box buy and box up what I'm gonna be eating for dinner next September 10th?

It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Spokes
12-03-2009, 19:19
Great points made in this thread. Sort of reminds me of what BF Skinner said "All learning is a series of successive approximations."

Mishap
12-05-2009, 14:01
So I have talked to my hiking buddy and we have decided to only do a few maildrops, according to Jack's and everyone elses suggestions. After thinking about it I believe its the right decision. I have no idea what so ever what Im going to want to eat on September 10th. Not to mention the serious hassel of packing all that stuff, and getting into towns on time. Thanks for all the great advice.