PDA

View Full Version : Nobody warned me about the mice.

Longbow
11-30-2009, 09:39
There are lots of things that people warn you about on the trail, bears, good shoes, pack light, but nobody told me about the mice. I spent 4 days hiking standing Indian Mountain. These little guys chewed everything I had with me. They ate my pack, ate all my TP, ate a hole in the sleeve of my jacket (while I was using it for a pillow) They ate my rice, and my cheese-it's. They even got into my car and ate a shirt. Other then the mice had a great time. I am only upset about my pack. Its a brand new Ketly. I wonder if they will repair it?

ki0eh
11-30-2009, 09:43
There's a reason the ATC sells this (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=522&compid=1) ...

Pedaling Fool
11-30-2009, 09:50
What part of the pack did they chew? I had mice chew thru my kelty pack back in '99, but was pretty easy to fix, just used those patches that the ATC sends you when you become a member.

Spokes
11-30-2009, 09:50
I had a mouse steal an earplug out of my ear in the Roaring Fork Shelter this year. There's a reason why they're called varmints.

But really they're just like thru-hikers, always looking for a little trail magic. So, consider yourself a trail angel.............

MintakaCat
11-30-2009, 09:52
Were you staying in shelters or using a tent/hammock?

Lone Wolf
11-30-2009, 09:54
There are lots of things that people warn you about on the trail, bears, good shoes, pack light, but nobody told me about the mice. I spent 4 days hiking standing Indian Mountain. These little guys chewed everything I had with me. They ate my pack, ate all my TP, ate a hole in the sleeve of my jacket (while I was using it for a pillow) They ate my rice, and my cheese-it's. They even got into my car and ate a shirt. Other then the mice had a great time. I am only upset about my pack. Its a brand new Ketly. I wonder if they will repair it?

do not sleep in shelters. sleep in a tent with your food and gear. end of mouse problem

Spokes
11-30-2009, 09:57
do not sleep in shelters. sleep in a tent with your food and gear. end of mouse problem

Had a SOBO buddy do that and a mouse chewed a quarter size hole in the top of his tent trying to get to a snicker bar wrapper he accidentally left in the top fabric shelf. Yikes!!!!!

MintakaCat
11-30-2009, 10:06

I would go further and say: Do not sleep in or near shelters.

Plodderman
11-30-2009, 10:24
Shelters and mice that mistake will only be made once. Just kidding we have all been there.

sixhusbands
11-30-2009, 10:36
Mice are very opportune critters this time of year especially! They are aggessively searching for anything to survive the winter season. So food is king and anything that will make nesting material is next on thier list. I had a buddy awakened by a mouse chewing on his mustache as he was in a shelter a few years back.
They are the number one reason why I never stay in a shelter , plus the spiders, ants, bugs, bats and snakes that like to call them home.

I stay in a tent with my food and have never had a problem with mice or bears.
Survivorman says that they make a great meal if you get a couple of them
, so if you re running low on food.........

Pacific Tortuga
11-30-2009, 10:59
There has to be a time, at the end of 'peak hiking season' that mice give birth and now, there is a mob of them, hungry as thru-hiker at a pizza buffet.

Socialize and cook at shelters then beat feet to your tent/hammock, for the night.

wrongway_08
11-30-2009, 11:25
Yea, cook and eat at shelters - then tent away from them..... let the shelter rats deal with the shelter mice!!

Was not a bad problem when I thru'd. A couple of mice crawled over us but nothing tooo bad.

paradoxb3
11-30-2009, 11:42

If you think those are bad, wait until the spring when warmer weather brings the mountain stingrays out of their dens... :D

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 11:45
Or you can just sit up at night with a creme brulee torch. Every time a mouse comes near you just torch 'im. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent028.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Or carry one of these: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

GeneralLee10
11-30-2009, 11:47
Just bring along some extra food for them. we all need to learn how to share right?

Blue Jay
11-30-2009, 11:52
Nobody warned you? Clearly you have not been reading White Blaze very long. Mice are by far the most feared thing on the Trail. Granted the list of fears is long and strong, but mice are the most terrifying.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 11:59
That's one of the first things I heard on WB. Mice blah blah MICE, etc... MICEMICEMICE!!!! AAAHHHHGGG!!! RUN AWAY!!! etc...

10-K
11-30-2009, 12:31
My son and I tried to sleep in No Business Knob shelter earlier this month and around 10:00 PM I surrendered to the mice and pitched the tent.

I'm not kidding - they were *everywhere* - running over our sleeping bags, by our heads - you name it.

They can make quite a lot of noise for being so small.

Disney
11-30-2009, 12:40
I didn't really mind them when I did the big hike. But now that I'm relegated to the occasional weekend or week trip, they seem to bother me quite a bit. I'm sticking with tents for now.

sheepdog
11-30-2009, 12:55
WATCH OUT FOR THE SHELTER MICE!!!!!

now you been told

Bulldawg
11-30-2009, 13:06
Yeah, never, ever stay in shelters. I've never seen a shelter without mice.

Back this spring a group of use did a short little hike and stayed at the Whitley Gap Shelter. Perhaps one of the least used shelters on the trail due to it's distance from the trail. I did the right thing and hung my food, etc. on the bear cables. My son thinks they are cool and thought he was cool since he actually did the hanging, etc. He is 7. So anyway, I wasn't thinking and left the dog's food in her pack. Now we were hammocking close by but had congregated, etc. around the shelter. I honestly forgot all about the dog's pack, food, etc. So anyway it is left in the shelter. During the night the mice got into that food and stored it in another hiker's shoes that were sitting on the other end of the shelter. I'm talking about they packed his shoes full. It was hilarious.

Another night this month I ended up staying in the vicinity of the Standing Indian shelter. I didn't want to stay there but I had hiked from Blue Ridge Gap that day and my feet weren't going any further. Those first two climbs past Bly Gap and killers. I hung my food items again but left my cook pot out. I stored the stove etc. in the pot just like I pack it, then put a full quart Gatorade bottle on top of it to keep the mice out. They will flip your lids off and rummage through your cook pots. So anyway in the middle of the night I hear a gang of them trying to get into the pot. I hit the light and sure enough there was a gang of them trying their best to push the full Gatorade bottle off the pot to get into it. Resourceful little bastids they are.

Bearpaw
11-30-2009, 13:15
Yeah, never, ever stay in shelters. I've never seen a shelter without mice.

I've seen a couple. They had a resident black snake or a rattlesnake that took care of the mouse problem. :eek:

Grampie
11-30-2009, 13:57
I've seen a couple. They had a resident black snake or a rattlesnake that took care of the mouse problem. :eek:

Bearpaw, you are right about the snakes..The problem is that the snakes don't become active until it starts to warm up a bit. Before that time the mice have control.

Cookerhiker
11-30-2009, 14:19
Guess I'm lucky; I've stayed in shelters a lot over the years and for whatever reason, my mouse problems have been minimal. When camping at the shelters, I rarely hang my food from the rafters; I usually bear-bag it up a tree.

One time my good AT bandana hanging on a nail was shredded at Sarver Shelter in VA, and at Rainbow Stream LT in Maine, I had to bear-bag my entire pack in darkness because of the mices' persistence. In the Smokies in Fall (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84124), a mouse deposited 2 fresh shiny acorns in each of my boots at Russell Field Shelter.

STEVEM
11-30-2009, 14:36
Here's my mouse observation/question: Everytime I open the hood of my car there's a pile of mouse crap on the top of the battery. What's that about?

flemdawg1
11-30-2009, 14:46
My son and I tried to sleep in No Business Knob shelter earlier this month and around 10:00 PM I surrendered to the mice and pitched the tent.

I'm not kidding - they were *everywhere* - running over our sleeping bags, by our heads - you name it.

They can make quite a lot of noise for being so small.

Stayed at that same shelter the 1st week of Oct. Didn't encounter any mice, and I'm usually a pretty light sleeper in shelters.

Buzz_Lightfoot
11-30-2009, 14:53
Here's my mouse observation/question: Everytime I open the hood of my car there's a pile of mouse crap on the top of the battery. What's that about?

They get into everything. This fall when I started my leaf blower the first time I bunch of acorns and schredded burlap shot out!

atraildreamer
11-30-2009, 15:41
In the Smokies in Fall (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84124), a mouse deposited 2 fresh shiny acorns in each of my boots at Russell Field Shelter.

Just their way of saying "Welcome to the neighborhood!" :D

tagg
11-30-2009, 15:46
When I hiked the GA section in September, I tented most nights, but did stay in the Low Gap and Plumorchard Gap shelters along the way. I may be a little odd in this respect, but I don't mind mice at all, and was actually kind of disappointed that I didn't have any close encounters with the little scavengers. I wouldn't want one chewing on my beard or anything, but I was hoping one might run across my bag or something so I would have another good story to freak out my wife.

mudhead
11-30-2009, 15:51

I pop the air filter in a Ranger once a month. They like underneath. Bunch of sensor stuff under there. Don't blame them for wanting a warm, dry spot.

They think they like the top of the block. This time of year I find acorns toasting.

Buzz_Lightfoot
11-30-2009, 16:32
I pop the air filter in a Ranger once a month. They like underneath. Bunch of sensor stuff under there. Don't blame them for wanting a warm, dry spot.

They think they like the top of the block. This time of year I find acorns toasting.

Yes. My jeep has that nice "toasted acorn" smell as well. (:

bullseye
11-30-2009, 16:57
When I use shelters I'm in the habit of picking an end b/c I like to place items I might need in the middle of the night next to my head like glasses, light, etc. Anyway, I stayed at Double Springs Gap shelter in '04, and in the morning one of my gloves were missing. I searched all over trying to figure out how I could have misplaced it, since it was right next to my head. It didn't occur to me until later that the meeses got it. I hates meeses to pieces:D.

kanga
11-30-2009, 18:02
check you air filter. good chance if you're finding poop often, they have chewed into your filter and are living there. look for a tiny hole with hay coming out of it...

10-K
11-30-2009, 18:29
Stayed at that same shelter the 1st week of Oct. Didn't encounter any mice, and I'm usually a pretty light sleeper in shelters.

It was intolerable the night of November 7th.... My son shined his headlamp under the shelter (where the bags of trash are....) and we easily saw a dozen. It was the most mice I've seen at one time in one place in my life.

10-K
11-30-2009, 18:31
When I use shelters I'm in the habit of picking an end b/c I like to place items I might need in the middle of the night next to my head like glasses, light, etc. Anyway, I stayed at Double Springs Gap shelter in '04, and in the morning one of my gloves were missing. I searched all over trying to figure out how I could have misplaced it, since it was right next to my head. It didn't occur to me until later that the meeses got it. I hates meeses to pieces:D.

OT, a raccoon made off with one of my crocs in SNP... I had them in my tent vestibule, heard something, shined my light into the vesibule and off he went with my croc.

There are few things as worthless as having 1 croc. I tossed it the first chance I got.

Tent-N-Kent
11-30-2009, 19:04
Learn to love Mice... IMAM OUSE , "holy one of the wilderness''

tndrfoot
11-30-2009, 19:29
if everyone took a mouse trap like i do it would have to kill a little bit of the population. works great dont weigh anything either for the weight con. people out there well worth its weight. me and a friend that carries one also got 7 at clyde smith shelter one night two traps work even better here a snap reset give it a min you will get another.

Hoop Time
11-30-2009, 19:40
if everyone took a mouse trap like i do it would have to kill a little bit of the population. works great dont weigh anything either for the weight con. people out there well worth its weight. me and a friend that carries one also got 7 at clyde smith shelter one night two traps work even better here a snap reset give it a min you will get another.

That is fine for amusement I suppose, but it ain't gonna make any significant dent long term. There are more of them out there than there are of us. Best just to tent/hang away from the shelters.

gunner76
11-30-2009, 21:39
When I went with my son to Boy Scout Camp at Camp Daniel Boone in NC we had mice in the shelters there too. We only saw one mouse in our shelter and it did not bother us, more of a mascot, but then we did not store/keep food at the camp site as everyone ate at the messhall.

The ultra lite hikers might consider them as a food source to help keep their pack weight down, how many calories in a mouse ????

Bulldawg
11-30-2009, 21:50

Kanga, Skids, and I had some SOBOs stay in the shelter at Carter Gap a few weeks ago. We were there, but away from the shelter. They all, 6 or 7 of them, were carrying snap traps. I think they said they got 8 or 9 that night. They just were just clearing the dead mouse from the trap and resetting it. Not a horrible idea I guess.

Trailweaver
11-30-2009, 22:02
I've heard about the mice more than anything else about the trail. They're amazing in their creative ways to get at food. One thing I've always wondered is . . . (forgive me if this seems like a dumb question) why the owls don't come down on those mice around the shelters. Looks like they'd figure out that the mice are prevalent around the shelters and the owls would just hang out there at night and feast.

Longbow
11-30-2009, 22:03
This thread really took off. No I have not been a member long, and missed other posts about mice. A mouse trap will be on my pack list from now on. The mice themselves did not bother me that much. Even when they ran across my sleeping bag. What bothered me is the damage they did to my gear. I won't be staying in the shelters again.

Longbow
11-30-2009, 22:06
Now that would freak me out, to have an owl swoop down and snatch a mouse off my pillow.

Bulldawg
11-30-2009, 22:15
Now that would freak me out, to have an owl swoop down and snatch a mouse off my pillow.

Yeah, it would freak me out too. But hearing an owl a few nights ago in the woods, just after sunset, very, very close was pretty cool. What kind of owl was that we heard Skids??

kanga
11-30-2009, 22:25
that was just an ol screech owl

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 22:25

Pillow?? If you mean put your clothes bag under your head at night fine, but leave a fluffy pillow at home.

If a mouse on your 'pillow' don't freak you out, why would an owl taking the varmint away?

Don't worry kid, there is hope you will learn that AT shelters are for mice and people stuck on the notion that there is something attractive about sleeping in a wooden box. Carry a tent, tarp, hammock and you will be much happier, healthier, and cleaner.

Bulldawg
11-30-2009, 22:36

Um, OK, it was still pretty cool. Would of woke me up had I already been asleep!!

kanga
11-30-2009, 22:44
i didn't mean it like that. they're common, but they sound crazy, especially bouncing off the side of the mountain like that. for a second you have to think and figure out what youre listening to.

Daydream Believer
11-30-2009, 23:55
I hate mice. Yuck...that settles it...no shelters for me. Tents only! I would be climbing the walls if one ran over me. Nasty!

Tinker
11-30-2009, 23:56

Anything with food or sweat on it (salt) they will chew on, and they will use any material you have (esp. tp) for nesting.

I can't believe no one told you about the mice!

You must have not been listening.;)

Many Walks
12-01-2009, 01:06
We hiked for a while a few days behind some guys who carried a 5 gal. bucket with them. At the shelters they would put in a couple gals. of water and spread PB on the inside below the rim, then placed it at the front of the shelter so mice could reach it. The mice would stretch for the PB and slide into the water. The registers always said they got about 8-10 mice every night. We approached one shelter and saw the bucket turned upside down with 13 mice on it. Didn't like them leaving the bucket on the trail, but it appears they kept the mice busy and out of their stuff while they slept with the bucket in place.

I also remember reading about a guy some years ago who carried a sleepy cat on his pack who went after the mice all night.

Stopped at one shelter in SNP and had to remark how clean it was and not a sign of mice anywhere. As we sat on the deck we saw a big old fat black snake making his rounds of the shelter, wondered out by the privy then back out to the underbrush. Not a problem with mice at that one.

Mice aren't only at shelters. In Maine we stopped at a couple of established open campgrounds. No one else was there at the time, but it appeared to be well used with lake access. Mice chewed through our screen to get at the food bag. Anywhere people frequently gather with dirty camps will attract and support mice. Our best spots were stealth and mouse free.

Monello
12-01-2009, 02:37
When the temperature starts to drop in the fall is when they seek shelter like in a car or garage.

I think the mouse traps is a good idea but only a temporary solution. The void will be filled in a few days by other opportunistic mice.

Does any animal in the woods eat the dead mice left behind by the trappers?

fredmugs
12-01-2009, 09:31
Think we should tell this guy about the ticks?

robmurphy
12-02-2009, 01:26
From the AT Website:

Hantavirus. One case of the rare but dangerous rodent-borne disease hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) has been reported on the A.T. In 1993, an A.T. thru-hiker contracted hantavirus as he hiked through Virginia. He became quite ill but did recover and completed his hike the next year; investigators were unable to pinpoint the exact location of infection. Precautionary measures for hikers: Air out a closed, mice-infested structure for an hour before occupying it. Avoid sleeping on mouse droppings (use a mat or tent) or handling mice. Treat your water, and wash hands.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 14:13
Don't know if anyone answered your question, but most manufacturer's warranties cover "normal wear and tear" meaning if your stuff is chewed on by an animal while in your care, while I'm sure they are sympathetic, this is not Kelty's fault or responsibility.

In other words, broken zipper or busted strapping? Absolutely.

Mouse holes? Nope.

As other people have said, best way to avoid a re-occurence is to avoid shelters and to properly seal/Ziplock your food.

kanga
12-02-2009, 14:16
way to pay attention jack. maybe you should go back and read that again. he never said one word about warranty. just asked if they'd repair it.

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 14:20
A mouse trap will be on my pack list from now on. What bothered me is the damage they did to my gear. I won't be staying in the shelters again.

I wouldn't bother with the mousetrap. Do you know how many times you'll be getting up to empty it? It'll definitely keep you awake (unless you don't intend to empty, in which case, pointless).

Picture a very sleep deprived hiker sitting up and rocking slightly, muttering to himself, crazy eyed and jumping everytime he hears a squeak. You, after three nights.

Manwich
12-02-2009, 14:46
I've slept in and/or near the following shelters and never experienced mice:

George W. Outerbridge Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_George_W._Outerbridge_S helter)
Kirkridge Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Kirkridge_Shelter)
High Point Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_High_Point_Shelter)
Pochuck Mountain Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Pochuck _Mountain_Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Wawayanda Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Wawayanda_Shelter)
Wildcat Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Wildcat_Shelter)
William Brien Memorial Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_William_Brien_Memorial_ Shelter)
RPH Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_RPH_She lter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Wiley Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Wiley_Shelter)
Ten Mile River Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Ten_Mile_River_Lean-to)
Mt. Algo Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Mt._Algo_Lean-to)
Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Stewart_Hollow_Brook_Le an-to)
Glen Brook Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Glen_Br ook_Lean-to&action=edit&redlink=1)
Tom Leonard Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Tom_Leo nard_Lean-to&action=edit&redlink=1)
October Mountain Lean-to (http://thetrailwiki.org/Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_October_Mountain_Lean-to)
Bromley Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Bromley _Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Big Branch Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Big_Bra nch_Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Clarendon Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Clarend on_Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Cooper Lodge (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Cooper_ Lodge&action=edit&redlink=1)
Thistle Hill Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Thistle _Hill_Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)
Velvet Rocks Shelter (http://thetrailwiki.org/index.php?title=Appalachian_Trail_Shelter:_Velvet_ Rocks_Shelter&action=edit&redlink=1)

You guys are doing it wrong.

Manwich
12-02-2009, 14:47
err apologies for the links. They're to my now-hidden website where I don't invest much time into because nobody else did :-P

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 14:48
Totem:

Or maybe you're better about storing your food.

Pretty much, ALL shelters have mice, you may have just gotten lucky.

Manwich
12-02-2009, 14:58
Totem:

At least 10% of them don't, unless my Bear-Repelling Carabiner also keeps mice away too.

I keep my food in a silynlon bag then hang it from either the strings with tuna-cans on them or on a Hiking Pole. My Sleeping Bag, Backpack, Pillow, Clothes all have "food stink" on them from sharing the same pack. Also, my water bladder (also my pillow) has sugar in/on it from the propel I put into it.

kanga
12-02-2009, 14:59
Also, my water bladder (also my pillow) has sugar in/on it from the propel I put into it.
i've seen people do that several times. have you never had it bust on you?

Manwich
12-02-2009, 15:35
Nope. 3L Platypus w/ hoser. Cat bit a hole in it but a bit of duct tape has held for over 300-miles

kanga
12-02-2009, 16:09
Nope. 3L Platypus w/ hoser. Cat bit a hole in it but a bit of duct tape has held for over 300-miles
i thought about doing that but the thought of it busting on me in the middle of the night makes me cringe! a water pillow seems like it would be so comfortable tho.

Bulldawg
12-02-2009, 16:30
Totem:

Storage of one's particular food has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a shelter has mice or not. All of them have mice, I am almost certain. I have stopped at shelters for just a few minutes and heard the little bastids scurrying about. Did not even have my food out. Now if you are speaking to the fact that perhaps he had no gear ate or food stolen, then proper food storage may be a factor. But he is saying there were no mice because he didn't experience any. How can he honestly say there weren't little bastids scurrying around everywhere once he was sound asleep? I've never had anything chewed on, etc. that belonged to me. But again, I usually only cook at shelters and then retire to areas away from the building. Again, nothing to do with proper food storage!! I am certain they all have their fair share of mice!!

Manwich
12-02-2009, 19:03
Never seen them. Never heard them. Never seen their droppings. Never seen their damage.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 19:54
While I agree that pretty much all shelters have mice, I disagree that the presence or care of one's food makes no difference in regards to mice, especiallyin shelters.

There will certainly be MORE mice in places where food is left available, where hikers leave stuff, where they've been sloppy, where garbage is left in or near a shelter, etc.

And there will be fewer mice when this is not the case.

And as for damage to tents, packs, etc., the storage of food is important. Leave stuff out loose, strewn around, etc., you're asking for trouble. Bag it properly (and more folks are now using small plastic boxes like Tupperware, etc.) and you'll have fewer problems. I know some folks who leave their packs and pack pockets unzipped in camp precisely so mice can get in and out WITHOUT chomping a hole; in my experience, I think it's better to simply
be more careful with food.

But Bulldawg's main point is a good one......food or no food, shelters are where you're gonna find rodents, and if you want to avoid this, the thing to do is to avoid the shelters as much as possible.

superman
12-03-2009, 06:40
This may help. Why go to town to resupply? :D http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/cookingrats.htm

Grampie
12-03-2009, 10:23
Never seen them. Never heard them. Never seen their droppings. Never seen their damage.

Sounds like something Bill Erwine, blind AT hiker, would say.:sun

Pacific Tortuga
12-03-2009, 10:51
Sounds like something Bill Erwine, blind AT hiker, would say.:sun

Naw, Irwins hearing is very acute and would/could hear the little suckers breathing.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2009, 10:58
One shelter where mice were not a problem was Iron Mountain in May, '05 - the deterrent was this feline creature (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=89417) who I was told was a shelter resident.

As for me, I moved on that day and tented between shelters.

toenail
12-03-2009, 15:16
Pack a mouse trap.

Hikes in Rain
12-03-2009, 15:28
Or a blowgun. More sport!

Dances with Mice
12-03-2009, 16:38
Pack a mouse trap.Didn't work. Hurt my fingers every time I reached in my pack.

Blue Jay
12-04-2009, 22:04
Cats sleep on my gear all the time when I'm home. They adore the awful smell. Over the years I've made a point to sleep in every shelter at least once. I've never had to be afraid of mice, however dogs bite me.:eek:

Skidsteer
12-04-2009, 22:45

Um, OK, it was still pretty cool. Would of woke me up had I already been asleep!!

Barred Owls are even better. Nothing quite like hearing one in the dead of night.

Hoo hoo hoo Hoo hooooo....!

mudhead
12-05-2009, 08:49
Barred Owls are even better. Nothing quite like hearing one in the dead of night.

Essence of strangled cat. Funky noise.

kanga
12-05-2009, 11:05

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Megascops-asio-2.mp3 :confused:

Skidsteer
12-05-2009, 12:38
http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Megascops-asio-2.mp3 :confused:

Here's a decent sounding recording of a Barred owl:

http://home.centurytel.net/bobowlcalls/recordings2/01%202005-09-20%20p023%20M%2019_4s%2011025%2016b.wav

kanga
12-05-2009, 13:53
Here's a decent sounding recording of a Barred owl:

http://home.centurytel.net/bobowlcalls/recordings2/01%202005-09-20%20p023%20M%2019_4s%2011025%2016b.wav
what i posted was a screech. wasn't that what we heard the other night?

Skidsteer
12-05-2009, 15:42
what i posted was a screech. wasn't that what we heard the other night?

This one? (http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Megascops-asio-2.mp3) I'm pretty sure that was it.

We should be in the woods right now. Lyin' POS weatherman.

Skidsteer
12-05-2009, 15:45
OK I see what the problem is. That website won't post the direct link. I was trying to post the Eastern Screech owl B-song.

kanga
12-05-2009, 16:01
OK I see what the problem is. That website won't post the direct link. I was trying to post the Eastern Screech owl B-song.
that is the page i gave you, einstein..

toenail
12-05-2009, 16:44
Some shelters, depending on the time of year, can get loaded with mice. I carry a mouse trap in a zip lock baggie. It may sound weird, but it's become a trail hobby of mine. We ALWAYS cook our food out AWAY from the shelter. After we are done eating, I leave a small offering to the great mouse god. Then I set my trap under the floor of the shelter. You would be amazed how many people are eyeballin' that trap around dark! I don't keep their pelts on my backpack or anything like that, because it would just be wrong. Other than that, enjoy the great outdoors!

-Ghost-
12-05-2009, 19:18
In the Smokies one time some mice ate through our bear bag, into the GORP, took all the MandM's out, then took the MandM's and put them into our boots. I woke up with like 5 in each boot. It was weird. Also, the bear bag wasnt even close to the tents.

Bearpaw
12-05-2009, 21:10
In the Smokies one time some mice ate through our bear bag, into the GORP, took all the MandM's out, then took the MandM's and put them into our boots. I woke up with like 5 in each boot. It was weird. Also, the bear bag wasnt even close to the tents.

I tented at Walnut Spring Shelter in 1999 and woke up with my cashews in the toes of both my boots. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/protectnuts.jpg

Blissful
12-05-2009, 21:37
The only time I had a mouse issue was when I accidentally left gorp in a pocket. other than that, nothing. But I also tented quite a bit.

If you are in a shelter make sure you leave pack pockets wide open for mouse inspection. And hang your tP along with your toothpaste and all garbage.

tintin
12-07-2009, 06:14
We had a problem with mice in our house and not wanting to kill them, we bought something like this http://www.upco.com/cgi-bin/upcol.storefront/EN/product/28200
(a battery powered moused repellent).

I know it's added weight, but it might be worth taking if they are that much of a problem... or not? I have no idea what to expect when I start next March other than what I have read. My current line of thinking is to do what I did in the jungle to stop rats, scorpions and snakes: take out my ortlieb waterproof rucksack liner (excellent piece of kit and well worth the extra weight) and put my whole pack in it. Mice will have a difficult time getting through that. The downside to that it is re-packing the whole thing each morning.

Am tempted by the mouse repellent as it is only small.

superman
12-07-2009, 09:11
Does anybody else remember the same thread on Trail Place in 2000? A guy started in January and was leading the pack...at least for a while. It was his journal that the thread was following. He was having competition with the few other hikers that were out at that time. It was great following the mice body count that was racked up. They carried regular snap over mousetraps. It was almost as entertaining to listen to the hand wringing, chest beating, whoa is me from the chorus of pro mice folks. If any of you folks who are going to start early want to be notorious do the mice competition. :)

Two Speed
12-07-2009, 11:04
. . . and woke up with my cashews in the toes of both my boots. I learned a valuable lesson that day . . . If you want cashews look in your boots?

Seriously, after being raided a couple of times I broke down and bought an Ursack. Not for bears, because I've been raided by mice too many times.

No, I don't sleep in shelters.

toenail
12-07-2009, 22:38
Originally Posted by Bearpaw http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=929399#post929399)
. . . and woke up with my cashews in the toes of both my boots. I learned a valuable lesson that day . . .

I think crazy would be if you eat one, then say,"That ain't no cashew!"

henry g wilgo
03-20-2013, 15:45
Just a thought....there are mouse traps....anyone know of a (natural remedy deterent)..ie...herbs or chilli hot flakes????..comments / suggestions appreciated....ask you gramma...

The Gambler
03-20-2013, 15:48
sleep in a tent

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 15:49
sleep in a tent

I awoke one morning to find two squirrels fighting over my food bag hung from a tree. Apparently spectra isn't too slippery for them even though it is for me :eek:. Luckily they knocked each other off during their death match and their stalemate was enough for me to go out and put a full nelson on 'em.

The Gambler
03-20-2013, 15:49
natural deterent...take your cat with you...some guy that went thru mountain crossings a week or so ago had his ferret..that'll probably work to

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 15:59
Just a thought....there are mouse traps....anyone know of a (natural remedy deterent)..ie...herbs or chilli hot flakes????..comments / suggestions appreciated....ask you gramma...

Coyote/Fox Pee....check hardware store

leaftye
03-20-2013, 16:15
Seriously, after being raided a couple of times I broke down and bought an Ursack. Not for bears, because I've been raided by mice too many times.

Same here. I had a mouse get into my food bag that was sitting right next to my head. I even scared it away a few times that night, but the mouse persisted and won. Now I use an Ursack every time. I need to get better about using an odor proof bag though.

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2013, 16:18
bring an Owl! gosh this is an old thread 2009?

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 16:43

Seems to be a few old ones cropping up today.

RED-DOG
03-20-2013, 17:05
Yeah the mice can get vicious and i am talking down right mean, in 2006 when i was going through SNP i was spending a night at High Top Hut that night the mice chewed a silver dollar size hole right through the entire pack and i mean they went from the front straight out the back, and then at Peters MT in PA they had babies in my fleece beenie, it was also a Kelty Pack, maybe the shelter mice got some kind of Grudge against Kelty Gear. That's when i started staying in my tarp problem solved.

Grampie
03-20-2013, 18:55

As spring turnes to summer the snakes start to live in and under the shelters. They eat the mice.

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 20:42

Looks like we got one now!:banana

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2013, 20:51
sleep in a tent

Tents do not stop mice.

natural deterent...take your cat with you...some guy that went thru mountain crossings a week or so ago had his ferret..that'll probably work to

Well fed cats never get mice to zero.

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 20:52
Tents do not stop mice.

Well fed cats never get mice to zero.

What about well fed owls?

Deer Hunter
03-20-2013, 20:53
Coyote/Fox Pee....check hardware store

That's what I use. Just a little because of the smell.

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 20:57
That's what I use. Just a little because of the smell.

I never thought about using it out on the trail, but I did successfully keep rabbits from nesting behind our A/C compressor this past year. Seems they don't like to hand with predators.

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2013, 21:10

We endure, work hard, and overcome objections..

UnfamousK
03-21-2013, 12:17
been out on the trail in PA lately and havent seen much mice activity.....early in the season tho...they will be here soon enough

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2013, 14:00
Tents do not stop mice.Well fed cats never get mice to zero.My tent almost always has an attentive dog inside of it at night. It's a highly effective mouse deterrent.

JAK
03-21-2013, 15:12

They sound like very clever and resourceful mice, but I don't think they do repairs.

Hoofit
03-21-2013, 16:12

Even mice like a good "buz" occasionsionally........

Nooga
03-21-2013, 20:32
Now that I have a duct tape patch on my tent, I hang my food bag. Not due to bears, but the mice.

SunnyWalker
03-21-2013, 22:36
War against mice! Shoot em! Bring a pellet gun, hardy, har! I can see it now, you wake up to see a light shining on you, a mouse runs by your ear and a "ziiiiiiiiip!" right by your ear! Guns don't kill mice, its people who kill mice! Just wished they kill a few more! Down with mice! Bring the buckets, bring the pellet guns, bring the traps, lets get the little buggars!

leaftye
03-21-2013, 22:53
War against mice! Shoot em! Bring a pellet gun, hardy, har! I can see it now, you wake up to see a light shining on you, a mouse runs by your ear and a "ziiiiiiiiip!" right by your ear! Guns don't kill mice, its people who kill mice! Just wished they kill a few more! Down with mice! Bring the buckets, bring the pellet guns, bring the traps, lets get the little buggars!

That could be an Iranian press release. :D They're using sharp shooters to kill their giant rats.

DeerPath
03-22-2013, 09:36
there are lots of things that people warn you about on the trail, bears, good shoes, pack light, but nobody told me about the mice. I spent 4 days hiking standing indian mountain. These little guys chewed everything i had with me. They ate my pack, ate all my tp, ate a hole in the sleeve of my jacket (while i was using it for a pillow) they ate my rice, and my cheese-it's. They even got into my car and ate a shirt. Other then the mice had a great time. I am only upset about my pack. Its a brand new ketly. I wonder if they will repair it?

sue the bastards!!!!!

SunnyWalker
03-22-2013, 23:48
Yeah, Leftye that was something they were or are doing. I was trying to imagine how that was working out for them. Do they hunt the rats at night with night vision goggles or something??!?!? Ha, ha!

FatHead64
03-23-2013, 15:54
Yeah, Leftye that was something they were or are doing. I was trying to imagine how that was working out for them. Do they hunt the rats at night with night vision goggles or something??!?!? Ha, ha!

Yes - actually - according to the story I saw. I imagine fewer people around and if it is IR, they probably do stand out pretty well.

JAK
03-23-2013, 16:57
80mm mortar not such a crazy idea now eh?

speedbump
03-23-2013, 18:54
Was with a guy who had his tent chewed through, into his pack, in to his food.

Wise Old Owl
03-23-2013, 20:03
Happens all the time at boy scout camps - destruction of $300 tents and backpacks... Wood Roaches too...

Del Q
03-23-2013, 20:59
98% of the time I choose to sleep in bed, with my wife, not mice

While hiking I sleep alone, no mice

That means carrying a tent..............so I was at the top of Killington, cold, rain, windy, foggy, got to the shelter. Exhausted. Had what was left of my 2nd sandwich from the Whistle Stop.........got water, sitting in the shelter the mice starting coming out. Aggressive little bastards.........pitched my tent in the wind and rain and said farewell to the hikers in that shelter........... and the mice

They asked, where are you going?

I said that I prefer to sleep with my wife or alone, goodnight!

shakey_snake
03-23-2013, 22:52
More people need to bring rat terrier trail dogs.

Chaco Taco
03-24-2013, 08:27
I had one get into my pack on one of the first trips I did, learned that lesson pretty quickly. They are particularly bad in the shelters in the Smokies. If you tent near a shelter, they can still find you. We try to stay atleast a quarter mile away. Hanging your food will not deter them either.

Wise Old Owl
03-24-2013, 09:33
More people need to bring rat terrier trail dogs.

How about installing a Black Racer at each shelter?

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/colcon.htm

henry g wilgo
03-24-2013, 14:58
This is about the best advise,,,sleep in your tent.thanks henry:d

Uncle
03-24-2013, 15:56
Took a mouse trap once and had a pile of them in about 20 minutes.

Special K
03-24-2013, 16:53

Best of both worlds:

Portie
03-30-2013, 20:41
I have used peppermint oil to keep away mice. Most rodents are apparently allergic to peppermint, and they try avoid it. Put a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and carry a few of those cotton balls in your pack.

I have successfully chased mice out of a car they were infesting with peppermint oil soaked cotton balls.

I have also had some luck keeping squirrels away from my tomato plants with peppermint oil spray.

Tinker
03-30-2013, 20:44
I have used peppermint oil to keep away mice. Most rodents are apparently allergic to peppermint, and they try avoid it. Put a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and carry a few of those cotton balls in your pack.

I have successfully chased mice out of a car they were infesting with peppermint oil soaked cotton balls.

I have also had some luck keeping squirrels away from my tomato plants with peppermint oil spray.

My wife plants mint around the garden to keep little mammalian critters away from the plants. Seems to work - but not on the bugs - (and it makes great tea).

Tree Nerd
03-30-2013, 23:26
If you have to sleep in a shelter, or really just dont want to tent it that night. What are the best ways to prevent mice attacks? If I woke up to a hole in any of my gear from a mouse I would be so mad that I would probably burn down the shelter. Just Kidding, but I would be pissed.

I heard that people use mouse traps with peanut butter and get good results of killing them, dont know if they do enough to prevent the bastards from getting into everything.

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 23:51

Peppermint attracts bears. Pick your poison. I will be sleeping far away from the rodent hubs as I can within reason.

Star Walker
03-31-2013, 03:23
Nothing better then waking up after a cold night to find a mouse sleeping inside your bag. Good times :)