PDA

View Full Version : Switching from bottles to

ncmtns
08-26-2004, 20:24
to MSR Dromolite. Got a couple q's...
Do ya'll pack your full water bag upside down to get the water gravity fed thru the tube,... or upright to prevent leaks?
Also, what tricks do you have to know when you are getting low on water since its packed away inside your backpack?

kncats
08-26-2004, 21:08
Unless the water bag is higher than your mouth it's not going to gravity feed. We carry a 4 liter water bag, usually half full, towards the top of our packs. How full we keep them depends on how hot it is and what we think water availability is going to be like. Once you suck the air out of the bag it doesn't take much effort just to draw on the tube to get water.

I don't usually worry a lot about how much is in there. I have a good feel for how much I'm going to drink based on how hot it is and what my effort level is going to be. I generally try to fill it up enough to get to the second anticipated water source.

Grimace
08-27-2004, 14:00
pack it so the cap is pointing down. If it's the the way, sucking water will be more difficult. The MSR bag will no tleak. I';ve had mine for 4 years now without incident. In fact, now that I use the Gearskin, I compress the hell out of it and it still does not leak. Good product