PDA

View Full Version : New Integral Designs Products

fullofadventure
08-26-2004, 21:10
I just wanted to let everyone know that Integral Designs has updated their website and they have some new products so I thought I would give everyone the heads up.

In the clothing department there is a sub 10oz (L) eVENT rain jacket for $220, WOW that’s cheap and eVENT gaiters weighing in at 2.5oz. There is also a beanie hat called the Primalid. Apparently there will be an insulated poncho liner but it is not on their site yet.

For shelters there is a new eVENT bivy sack and now you can get the MK1XL in eVENT, which is cool. Another cool item for the people out there who have a Silshelter is a new bug liner to go along with it. I am not sure what the weight is as it is not listed on the site. I e-mailed them just a few minutes ago and will post the info they give me. The Silshelter with bug liner could make a nice ultralight shelter.

They also make a stuff sack/day pack that weighs 5oz

Anyways just thought I would share the info.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 09:16
For those that don't know, eVent is twice as breathable (defined as the transportation of water vapor from the inside to the outside) as the best Gore-Tex (currently XCR). According to recent military studies.

Rain Man
08-27-2004, 10:09
.... there is a sub 10oz (L) eVENT rain jacket for $220, WOW that’s cheap ....

What's your connection to Integral Designs?
:D
Rain Man

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 10:15
Probably isn't a connection. The ID stuff has gotten quite a bit of press on the super gear-head geek boards because they are using eVent. Most of these products were "just announced" at last week's national Outdoor trade show in UT.

Oh and most eVent jackets are typically in the $300+ range. Which might explain the "that's cheap" comment.

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 10:15
$220! :eek:

eVent may be the most efficient, but something like Frogg Toggs can be almost as efficient and a lot cheaper.

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 10:19
True.

I was in the middle of an edit when you posted. But $220 is cheap for eVent. Its a "new" fabric as such its quite costly. Seems to be real popular with the cycle crowd. As many eVent jackets don't have hoods.

The stuff in Frogg Toggs (and Rainshield) line is microporous polypropylene. It is a bit lower than eVent but still significantly higher than XCR.

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 10:39
The stuff in Frogg Toggs (and Rainshield) line is microporous polypropylene. It is a bit lower than eVent but still significantly higher than XCR.Not sure why I can't stop the reply-to myself, but...

One more thing, even the crappiest Gore-Tex clone does an excellent job at transfering water vapor. Unfortunatley, the term "breathable" is used to describe that process. Many folks think "breathable" means "keeps me cool", but it does NOT. At least not in the context of raingear.

The reason you get hot under your rain gear is because you have dramactically reduced the amount of convectional heat loss (air currents). This is why pit zip help (dispite what RJ has to say on the subject). They allow air to move around your torso. Air movment equals heat transfer (convectional heat loss). The fact that "heat rises" has nothing to do with why pit zips work.

Seems like this has been a good RJ bashing day. IMO, its more fun that bashing Wingy.

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 10:44
One more thing, even the crappiest Gore-Tex clone does an excellent job at transfering water vapor. Unfortunatley, the term "breathable" is used to describe that process. Many folks think "breathable" means "keeps me cool", but it does NOT. At least not in the context of raingear.

The reason you get hot under your rain gear is because you have dramactically reduced the amount of convectional heat lost (air currents). This is why pit zip help (dispite what RJ has to say on the subject). They allow air to move around your torso. Air movment equals heat transfer (convectional heat loss). The fact that "heat rises" has nothing to do with why pit zips work.

Seems like this has been a good RJ bashing day. IMO, its more fun that bashing Wingy.

Hooah!

But, in RJs defense, even though he doesn't like pit zips because they do add a few grams, his overall strategy is to have an umbrella as primary rain gear. Now, back to bashing old RJ, his book reccomends having rain gear for the sidewise rain, but his packing list doesn't include rain gear. Similar thing for filtering water and other things he mentions you should do, but doesn't have on his 8lb list.

tlbj6142
08-27-2004, 10:50
I, too, have noticed the gross inconsistencies with his rain gear recomendations.

One of my favorite "lies" in his book has to be the prices. How he was able to to build a pack out of silnylon for $10 is beyond me. A simple primaloft quit will run you $60+.

I really don't think prices have gone up that much since the first printing.

If you want a really good read, go find the first edition of his book when it was primarily PCT how-to. In it, he makes recomendations that in the new book he bashes. Somewhere between the 1st and 2nd editions is when he turned into a babbling fool. Must have something to do with that weird medical treatment he talks about on every other page (2nd edition only). "Tom Smith" treatment or such.

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 10:56
Yes, I have heard how his book changes over time and some things go away, and some new things come into it.

fullofadventure
08-27-2004, 13:50
Hey you people jacked my thread!!!!! LOL just kidding. RJ sounds nuts to me.:jump

What's your connection to Integral Designs?
:D
Rain Man

Sorry Rain Man, I have no connection with Integral Designs. I just think they make great gear and am very happy that they are using eVENT throughout their line of products. I wish they would use eVENT to shell their high loft synthetic clothing too. Also being that I am Canadian I am proud of ID for making all of their products here in Canada and keeping jobs in Canada too. All the gear companies that are 100% made in America make me very happy too and will see me buying from them as well.

foodbag
08-27-2004, 16:14
18 oz. per Integral Designs response to my email (in case anybody was wondering).

fullofadventure
10-04-2004, 14:04
NEWS UPDATE:

backpackinglight.com just did a review of the ID eVENT jacket and RJ said, "it breathes better than any waterproof-breathable jacket I've worn."

He basically said that the jacket does not have any features but it really does not need any. The jacket is best described as Spartan and the eVENT fabric vents extremely well without any pit zips. The cut of the jacket is considered a climber's hem and is harness friendly. Looks to be durable for some off trail and he liked the hood which, has no draw cords, no volume adjusters, no rollaway tabs. Just has an attached hood with a simple, nonadjustable, elastic hem. It the best UL jacket out there.

I might get one within a week or so; if I do I will post pics n stuff.

Oh ya check this out too. 360 view and an interactive catalog.

http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_jacket.html