PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hike

Longbow
11-30-2009, 21:41
OK so just a few months ago I asked about a 4-5 day hike to make over Thanksgiving Holiday. You suggested Standing Indian Mtn. I made the hike with my brother and we had a great time.

So now I am thinking about my next hike. I will have 11 days off for Christmas which would give me up to 9 days on the trail. I was thinking of hiking the Georgia section. Looks to be about 75 miles. Does that sound doable for that time of year and that time frame? And last we leaned a lot about clothing and gear on our Thanksgiving hike, but what do you guys think we should take?

kayak karl
11-30-2009, 21:46
OK so just a few months ago I asked about a 4-5 day hike to make over Thanksgiving Holiday. You suggested Standing Indian Mtn. I made the hike with my brother and we had a great time.

So now I am thinking about my next hike. I will have 11 days off for Christmas which would give me up to 9 days on the trail. I was thinking of hiking the Georgia section. Looks to be about 75 miles. Does that sound doable for that time of year and that time frame? And last we leaned a lot about clothing and gear on our Thanksgiving hike, but what do you guys think we should take?
there's a party on Springer on New Years Eve. got to work that in :)

bigcranky
11-30-2009, 22:10
Yeah, I would definitely hike Southbound and plan to arrive on Springer on the 31st. I would stash my car at the parking area at the top, and leave food and fire wood and a bottle of bourbon. I considered doing that this year, but family duties prevailed.

My partner and I did the Georgia section sobo last March in 8 days, starting at at Blue Ridge Gap and doing the Approach Trail on the last day. Given the much shorter days and colder weather, I would think 9 days would be reasonable. You can resupply at Neels Gap, and have a night in a warm bed at their hostel.

Bring a warm sleeping bag and warm clothes. Have fun. Be safe.

Daydream Believer
11-30-2009, 23:58
We may see you out there. My husband and I are hiking from Gooch Gap to Unicoi Gap over 3-4 days from the 27th-31st. Not sure which direction we are going yet but probably NOBO Gooch Gap to Neels Gap and then SOBO from Unicoi to Neels Gap. We are going to take our time and have fun! Hope to see you out there!

Ox97GaMe
12-01-2009, 00:24
It will likely be cold out there during that time of the year with ice and/or snow, especially at the following shelters;
Trey Mountain, Blue Mountain, Woods Hole (Blood Mtn).
Springer and Hawk Mountain are likely to be pretty cold too, but are at lower elevations than the first ones mentioned.

But, Georgia is unpredictable in December. Ive been out there over Xmas and had temps in the 50s and 60s also. Prepare for the worst (single digits/snow) and hope for the best (60s and sunny). Over the 9 days, you might see a little of both.

If you are tenting, I would suggest looking at these options vs. shelters on top of cold/frozen mountains:
Cheese factory or Indian Gap rather than Trey,
Unicoi Gap (unmarked campsite area just S. of the crossing before starting the climb) rather than Blue
Neels Gap hostel rather than Woods Hole

Happy Hiking
Ox (former GATC Maintainer)

Cookerhiker
12-01-2009, 20:47
Let's hope the north side of Blood Mountain (where it rises above Neel Gap) isn't too icy for you.

coheterojo
12-02-2009, 11:30
Yea. Georgia would be alot of fun. I've been section hiking the AT the week after Xmas every year since 2004. In 2005 I did the Approach trail all the way to Deep Gap, NC in 8 days. It was alot of fun but, as previously mentioned, you need to be prepared for cold, snow, ice, rain, etc.

I love hiking in the winter but it can be a crap shoot. So far I've been lucky. This year I'm doing Sams' Gap to Dennis Cove starting 12/26. That's also a really nice area with all the balds and the last really high elevation till New England. I'm planning on 8 days for that trip too.

kilroy
12-03-2009, 02:10
I've made more miles on the AT in winter over Thanksgiving & Xmas/New Years than any other time. This year I'm doing Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam. I was hoping to make it to 441 just south of Gatlinburg, but I don't think I'm going to have enough time.

Winter hiking in Georgia is exactly like Coheterojo says - a crap shoot. Last year after just after New Years we started out on a beautiful warm sunny day with a high in the lower 60s. At midnight it started to sprinkle. The next 3 days were constant rain, or at least 100% humidity as we hiked through the clouds, and it never got above the upper 30s. The 3rd afternoon the temp dropped out and the rain turned to snow and the temp bottomed out around 3am at 27 degrees. It was fun!

Longbow
12-03-2009, 14:24
I am looking forward to this hike. Just a quick survey what are you guy carrying for gear on these winter hikes. In particular Clothing. what are you waring and whats in your pack? I am more or less new to hiking and there is less room for error in the winter, so I want to get it right.

I am thinking starting with long underwear, should I get silk?
Silk sock liners with Wool socks One pair on feet and another pair in pack.
Paints one pair non cotton. I don't really have anything for this just yet.
A pair of wind breaker paints for wind and rain
Thermal underwear top
non cotton shirt
Flees jacket
Water proof outer shell.

Umbrella?

Blissful
12-03-2009, 14:42
Check the weather, might need more in the jacket dept. Depends. So far its been mild around here.

kilroy
12-03-2009, 14:43
I am looking forward to this hike. Just a quick survey what are you guy carrying for gear on these winter hikes. In particular Clothing. what are you waring and whats in your pack? I am more or less new to hiking and there is less room for error in the winter, so I want to get it right.

I am thinking starting with long underwear, should I get silk?
Silk sock liners with Wool socks One pair on feet and another pair in pack.
Paints one pair non cotton. I don't really have anything for this just yet.
A pair of wind breaker paints for wind and rain
Thermal underwear top
non cotton shirt
Flees jacket
Water proof outer shell.

Umbrella?

I'm not a big fan of silk for hiking, simply because I don't feel that it's tough enough. I love smartwool and polypro though.

I'd go with the polypro sock liners as well with smart wool over them.

For pants anything nylon will do. I have one pair of REI convertible pants, and that's usually all I carry. Even in really bad rainstorms I've not had a problem with my pants getting soaked.

Same polypro or smartwool recommendation for the thermal top.

For the over shirt - check out Walmart/Target. They have really cheap long sleeve nylon athletic shirts (Champion at Target, Starter at Walmart).

The only time I put on a jacket is when I'm at camp. I get really warm hiking so the only time I need it is when I stop. That being said I have a nice Mountain Hardware down jacket that packs down to nothing that keeps me nice and cozy.

My outer shell is a breathable Mountain Hardware rain shell. Get something breathable. Here in GA hiking in the winter usually means hiking at least a bit in the rain or in the clouds. Having a rain shell that doesn't breath leads to soaking yourself in sweat and being generally miserable.

Hope this helps!

bigcranky
12-03-2009, 15:51
In particular Clothing. what are you waring and whats in your pack? I am more or less new to hiking and there is less room for error in the winter, so I want to get it right.

Here's my winter clothing post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16). December can be very cold, and of course it's the shortest day length of the year. You may get beautiful warm days and cold nights, or you may get 35-F and pouring rain (the worst possible conditions i.m.e.), or single digit temps at night along with snow and icy trail. Be prepared for cold, and enjoy it.

There are plenty of places to bail out if the weather gets bad. Carry the maps and plan ahead.

Longbow
12-03-2009, 16:15
Thanks Big.

Very helpfull

Daydream Believer
12-03-2009, 20:42
Question of my own that I've been meaning to ask. Do you wear different hiking boots in the winter than those in the summer? I have some nice Keen waterproof ankle high hiking boots that I love as well as good wool socks. If we get into snow, will that be enough to keep my feet dry and warm?

Thanks!

bigcranky
12-03-2009, 21:26
In snow or mucky winter trail I wear Goretex trail runners and tall Goretex gaiters. I can handle pretty deep drifts with those (though for really deep snow I'd want snowshoes.)

Many times the *only* dry and warm part of my body is my feet, snug in their wool socks.

Daydream Believer
12-03-2009, 22:52
Thanks Big Cranky!

kilroy
12-04-2009, 01:34
In snow or mucky winter trail I wear Goretex trail runners and tall Goretex gaiters. I can handle pretty deep drifts with those (though for really deep snow I'd want snowshoes.)

Many times the *only* dry and warm part of my body is my feet, snug in their wool socks.

I bet I have the same Keens as you do. From experience I can tell you that the do retain a bit of moisture if you sweat or if they get really wet. I've put them on frozen solid.

That being said, my feet never got uncomfortably cold with a wool sock over a polypropylene liner. I'm going to be doing my winter hike in these same boots. REI has a winter hiking Keen on sale right now though, so if I've got the extra $ after Xmas shopping I'll probably pick them up. Big fan of Keen shoes and boots.

Daydream Believer
12-04-2009, 10:10
Neither of us have boots with insulation at all. I'm in Keens and husband is in Merrill's. I love my Keens too...they are amazing. I wear them all day around the farm for their comfort and support and are the best boot/shoes I've ever found that my feet do not ache at the end of the day.

I think we'll take a look at the insulated Keen's. We have waterproof pants and can put those on if we are in deep snow. My feet tend to be cold so I think it is doubtful I will feel overwarm in them.

Longbow
12-04-2009, 13:53
I have the Keen Targhee shoe and love them. I am concidering getting the Keen Oregon for the extra ankle support and being higher they should keep snow out better.

hnryclay
12-08-2009, 22:49
If you plan to hike in snow, wear boots, and gaiters. Outdoor research makes wonderful goretex gaiters that will keep your feet completely dry in a good pair of boots. I prefer non goretex footwear, simply because boots, and wool are plenty warm, and a good sole, with fine leather will not leak if treated properly. I have sloshed across creeks in this setup and came out bone dry on the other side. If you wear trail runners in the winter be ready for cold wet feet. Realisticly the trail is a lot like a ditch in some places. If it snows and melts you will be walking in 2-6 inches of water. YMMV but ankle high shoes don't cut it for me in the winter.

chelko
12-13-2009, 15:09
One thing to consider in the clothing department. I take a heavy 300wt fleece jacket and shell to wear around camp because I generate a lot of heat while hiking. I noticed over the past few years my pace has slowed down due to age and I can catch a chill sometimes. I started packing a 200wt fleece vest that i will wear over my long sleeve shirt and that helps a bunch. I also take a lightweight wind shell like a nylon anorak or jacket to layer on if the wind kicks up in exposed areas.

Petr
12-13-2009, 21:56
If you plan to hike in snow, wear boots, and gaiters. Outdoor research makes wonderful goretex gaiters that will keep your feet completely dry in a good pair of boots. I prefer non goretex footwear, simply because boots, and wool are plenty warm, and a good sole, with fine leather will not leak if treated properly. I have sloshed across creeks in this setup and came out bone dry on the other side. If you wear trail runners in the winter be ready for cold wet feet. Realisticly the trail is a lot like a ditch in some places. If it snows and melts you will be walking in 2-6 inches of water. YMMV but ankle high shoes don't cut it for me in the winter.

I mostly agree, but it really depends (as always) on the weather. Last December I did some shoeing in about 4 feet of snow wearing some capilene 3s, jeans, smartwool socks, and my NB running shoes. If it was 25-35 degrees, my feet would've been soaked and I would've been miserable. Happily, it was about 10 degrees out and my feet were toasty. Serious cold can help minimize the moisture problems that you can run into: I think the frost on the outside of my sneakers was more effective than any vapor-locking fabric out there.

Longbow
12-14-2009, 17:07
I am thinking of hiking from Unicoi gap to Springer mtn. Looks to be about 50 miles. I would only have 5 hiking days to complete this hike and make it to springer Mtn by New Year's eve.

bigcranky
12-14-2009, 17:42
That's a nice section. You'll have a couple of days of reasonably level trail, and a couple of days of good climbs. Should be doable in 5 days.

Longbow
12-14-2009, 18:56
I posted a request for a shuttle in the shuttle thread if anyone is interested.

Daydream Believer
12-15-2009, 14:31
Longbow, we may see you out there. We are leaving Gooch Gap on the 27th and overnighting at Neels Gap the night of the 28th. Then we are doing Unicoi the 29th back to Neels on the 30th...so both NoBo and SoBo.

We did Springer to Gooch Gap in October...so we are moving northward this next section.

If you need a shuttle, I can recommend someone that we've used who is very reliable. Send me a pm.