PDA

View Full Version : Busiest thru-hiker weeks in the Smokies?

bigben
12-01-2009, 10:00
I'm sectioning again this year, from the NOC to Newfound Gap. I typically go mid-May, which is what I've done for the past few years, doing everything south of the NOC. It has never been what I'd call crowded, but with enough people to keep it interesting. I would like to avoid the big crowds, but am not looking for solitude, so to speak. When typically has the main push of thruhikers gone through the Smokies? I figure eventually mid-May is going to catch up with the crowds. Am I safe agin this year going then?

Bigben

white_russian
12-01-2009, 10:22
You should still be good with mid-May in the GSMNP. Remember that mid-May is when trail days takes place so the giant bubble is up around Damascus. I started through the GSMNP on May 5th a few years back and the shelters were about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Nice for good conversation without stepping over everyone.

Hikes in Rain
12-01-2009, 10:55
I went through the northern Smokies a little later, toward the end of May, and had a similar experience. Cosby was nearly full, but I got there pretty early and staked out a good spot before the crowd got in. You should be fine. Just be sure to make your reservations 30 days in advance; that is, call as soon as you legally can!

Montana AT05
12-02-2009, 13:28
Spring break brings out large group of college kids.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 14:32
In truth, if you're looking for solitude, the Smokies might not be the best place to find it; it's the most visited National Park in the country. So it's good you're realistic about this. Most thru-hikers start their trips between 1 March and 5 April, with the majority leaving in late March or very early April.

It takes most of them 16-18 days to get to the Park, therefore the busiest time will be between the middle of March and the third week in April.

May will get crowded.

Therefore, if you're doing a Spring Hike and don't won't to be mobbed up, I'd look at late April. Most of the thrus will be outta the Park by then and the May visitors won't be there for a bit.

toenail
12-05-2009, 17:09
Just remember April can be cold in the Smokies.

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-05-2009, 17:15
Just remember April can be cold in the Smokies.

True but the abundent wildflowers in mid to late April in the park is a sight to see.