PDA

View Full Version : Halifax, PA

ki0eh
12-01-2009, 10:19
There's a town about a 3 mile easy hitch from PA 225 road crossing (the overpass on Peters Mountain) with laundry, convenience, grocery, and hardware stores, but the Companion doesn't even mention it - most likely due to the close proximity of Duncannon. So I'm wondering, has anyone ever headed to Halifax during their long section or thru-hike?

Yahtzee
12-01-2009, 10:52
I've never heard of anyone heading into Halifax, mainly because the stretch of road where the trail crosses Rt. 225 is a sharp, blind curve at the top of Peter's Mountain. It would be awfully dangerous to hitch from there.

ki0eh
12-01-2009, 12:06
I've picked up a couple from the old cabin - good sight lines from there, as opposed to the end of the driveway from the parking lot. (But they went into Duncannon. :) )

Trail Trooper
12-01-2009, 13:58
It Would Be To Hard To Find Better Off Going To Duncannon More Stuff There

Wonder
12-02-2009, 10:42
It could also be like Jim Thorpe. THe town is a fairly easy hitch from the Palmerton area.....a little tourist town with tons of history and charm. However, from what the locals have told me....the town does not want the hikers to use it. SUcks, but sometimes they just don't want to be listed

Hoop Time
03-14-2010, 20:41
Halifax is nothing like Jim Thorpe. But given the proximity to Duncannon, and that it does not offer anything that Duncannon doesn't have, hard to imagine a reason to go to the hassle to hitch there and back. Given the choice between Mutzabaugh's and the Giant grocery in Halifax, I'd take Mutzabaugh's hands down to resupply. Much better selection of hiker friendly items, and the convenience of a free shuttle. And Halifax has nothing to compare with the Doyle. No motels even, for anyone to take a town day.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 22:13
Halifax is 3.9 miles. So you should hitch but I have a tool that can look up trail support if there is any.