PDA

View Full Version : Saunas on the Trail, Huts in the Whites/NH???

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 12:26
First, y'all should know that NH is the state I know LEAST about- so any advice is helpful.

So, I think I may spend one night in an AMC hut, (if I feel moved to do so), and I was just wondering, is there any one hut that is really awesome? I've never been to New Hampshire for hiking, so I've never seen a hut and don't know what to expect.

I know, many will say it isn't worth it (I know, App. Money Club, right?). And when I see the first hut, I may decide not to stop at a later one. But does anyone think that there are any "must stop" huts on the AT?

And non- guests staying in a hut can buy hot drinks and non-meal food, right? Can they stay in the hut to eat? I've hear many people say they went into a hut to eat lunch and warm up, so is that allowed? And do you really need to reserve a space (as in, will they turn you away even if they're not nearly full because you don't have a reservation?), or is it just strongly recommended?

And another question: SAUNAS. Is there anywhere along the trail with a sauna? I read in App. Pages that the Inn in Williamstown will give you a shower, use of sauna and towel for a fee (without needing to stay there).

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 12:28
And saunas anywhere, not just NH. Nothing makes you feel better than time in a sauna...

white_russian
12-01-2009, 12:53
My favorite hut is Lonesome Lake. I did work for stay a few years back and as a paying guest this spring during self service season. Its great because the bunkrooms overlook the Franconia ridge. They have been doing some remodeling and if you have the privilege to stay in the upper cabin in a bed that looks out the window you can wake with an amazing view. There is also a nice lake at the bottom of the hill that also has a great view of the ridge. Also since this is a lower use hut you might actually get a real bunk instead of having to wait for the paying customers to get out of the dining room so you can spread out your bedroll. Also being lower use means it is a more relaxed atmosphere; the ones on the Presidentials are too crowded and busy for me.

I don't mind doing the work for stay at any of them if the crew is cool, but I really like Lonesome Lake. Second place for me is Zealand Falls because of the awesome front porch that looks out into the valley.

A big thing is talk to SOBOs about the hut crews (and everything ahead). They change every year so even though Lonesome Lake has been good to me, the new crew for this summer may be total jerks and you may want to avoid it. The crews work for tips mostly and some think that thru-hikers cause people to give them less tips so they will treat you horribly. It all depends on the crew and who is working on what days.

Jeff
12-01-2009, 13:54
I agree with the advise about speaking with SOBO's.

Most thruhikers develop a good or bad opinion of each hut based on how the Croo members treated them. Heard lots of good comments in 2009 about the Madison Springs croo....but 2010 will be a different story.

Jeff
12-01-2009, 13:59
The crews work for tips mostly

I was not aware of their compensation setup. Does anyone else know more detail about this?

hopefulhiker
12-01-2009, 14:55
The Royalty Inn in Gorham NH has an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna.. Hot Springs has natural hot tubs. Thats all I can think of...

Appalachian Tater
12-01-2009, 15:33
Shelter Leopard, if you can do work-for-stay, why not use the huts? You get plenty of good food for dinner and breakfast and a dry place to sleep in exchange for some sweeping or dishwashing. You can get AYCE soup and leftover baked goods in between breakfast and dinner for a few dollars and warm up in the common area and they have hot beverages. By the time you get to New Hampshire, it's hard to pass up food.

The weather in the Whites can be dangerous--when I stayed at Madison Spring there was a horrible storm and we couldn't even leave the next morning because the weather was still bad, we had to wait until afternoon. The croo wasn't turning anyone away, it was really a safety issue. Wind so strong you couldn't stand up straight and keep your balance without hanging onto a rock, heavy rain, lightening all over the place.

I've heard stories about croo that weren't fond of thru-hikers but they were all more than nice to us. They are basically university students who like being in the mountains and hiking, doing trail maintenance, etc. Several asked questions about an AT thru-hike because they were planning to do it themselves. They also have a lot of information about the area if you ask.

One of the croo from a hut we had stayed in was taking her day off staying with her boyfriend who was a campground caretaker and they brought us a lot of leftover food from their dinner when we were at the campground.

I'm willing to bet if hikers were treated badly by croo it was because they were rude themselves or other thru-hikers had come through before being demanding and rude.

As far as their pay, it is fairly low but it includes room and board. They do "edutainment" skits and practically beg for tips which must be humiliating. Some of them even bake cookies and sell them to earn extra money to pay for school. They work very hard and even pack in all the fresh supplies.

Also don't miss eating at Joe Dodge Lodge.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 16:36
What I mean here (by only staying at one) I mean and having to pay for it. Like if I don't get the work for stay, then I may still pay for one night in a hut.

But true- if I do manage to get work for stay, I probably wouldn't pass that up. FOOD.

And thanks for all that about the croos Tater, I'm sure you're probably right. I've heard that they're very decent people.

Good to know hopeful, thanks!

DTG
12-01-2009, 16:50
youll probably find it harder to pay for hut due to them being booked up months in advance than getting work for stay - id recomend staying in any that you can.
as already mentioned the one that people will name as their favourite is normally the one that you get treated best at. That said i think i stayed at all of them apart from madison and lonesome lake and had a great time.

Talking to the croo almost all of them were really pro thru hikers and most of the bad encounters were due to hikers mooching about and expecting people to be grateful that they showed up

Spokes
12-01-2009, 17:03
The one thing I didn't realize until I talked to one of the hut masters is that all the huts have the ability to take credit cards and allow you to get a "pay bunk" if they have space or have last minute cancellations. That's always a good bale out plan in case you're just in the mood not to do work for stay. But I say ALWAYS consider work for stay first! It'll be another wild experience you can share with friends and family.

I found asking SOBO'S their impressions of huts and croos widely skewed. So many times I and other NOBO's heard that hut croos were unfriendly toward thru's from SOBO's only to find the croo really cool and accommodating. It's almost like some of the huts had NOBO preferences and others had SOBO preferences. Oh well, if you have a good attitude, don't act like a jerk, and approach them as a willing helper the croos most likely will reciprocate.

There's usually a big pot of soup on the stove and baked goods available at all times in the huts. You pay a small amount for that and of course there is a tip jar somewhere nearby. I came to appreciate what these guys and gals did the first time I saw how they had to carry in supplies and haul away refuse. Amazing!

New Hampshire was the toughest state on the AT for me. I was doing consistent 20+ mile days until I hit the New Hampshire line then I ended up working all day long just to eek out 6-8 miles. Everyone in my group was so depressed. It was a total beat down. The weather was horrendous which compounded the agony and the Whites were no cake walk either. I was glad to see that "Welcome to Maine" sign.

Sorry for rambling on. I hope it was helpful.

BTW, here's another vote for the Hot Springs, NC "sauna".

Pickleodeon
12-01-2009, 17:05
I didn't realize that during thru-hiker season if you don't get work for stay, you can pay $10 to stay anyway. If you get there before like 4 pm they often tell you to move on to the next hut. If you get there after that and get work for stay, great. They usually allow 4 thruhikers to WFS. Now, when we went through, the first night we got work for stay at Lonesome Lake, it's a good distance off the trail, like almost a mile I think. But we were the only thru's there (me and hiking partner) and had a really good experience. Then, the rest of the nights we were in the whites, we hit a huge "bubble" of thruhikers and were running to pass other people to try to get WFS. Now, my partner and I were very slow hikers and usually got there last. One night, there were 16 thruhikers in the hut. 16!! and they let all of us work for stay. Every one of us, they found a job for us to do and even cooked extra food for us, which they didn't have to do. Usually thruhikers just get the cold, leftover food until it's gone. Then another night, we got to the hut after work for stay was filled and they couldn't tell us to keep hiking at like 7 pm, so we just paid the $10 to sleep on the dining room floor. We cooked our own food outside and then had a nice, warm floor to sleep on. They can't just kick you out, well, typically, they dont. We paid $10 at one or two of the huts, the rest were WFS. Good experience for us. One or two of the campsites will let you WFS too.

peakbagger
12-01-2009, 20:31
IMHO's on AMC Huts

Lonesome Lake - Lots of families, it does have a good view up at the Lafayette Ridge but sits down in the woods near Lonesome Lake (really a pond. Tends to be noisy. The AMC lean to at Kinsman Pond has a much better view (but no food or bunks). It to is near a Pond and has the plus that you can do a short hike to the ridge crest int he evenign and get an incredible sunset and view east and west. I would save the cash on this one and stay at Kinsman Pond.

Greenleaf Hut - Great Hut located right at treeline, great view of the ridge and up high. Only Downside is that its a 1000 foot elevation drop off the AT.

Galehead Hut - Newest AMC hut, very remote, sits down in the woods but right on the AT. Some views south to the Pemi area and east to the twins. The hike over from Lafayette is very rough with lots of PUDS.

Zealand Hut - In the woods near Zealand Falls. Gets a lot of families so it can be noisy.

Mitzpah Hut- Its down in the woods, no views to speak of, there is a tent site right next door. Its the standard spot to rest up and get ready for the next day which is the southern presidentials. Although there are bootleg spots along the ridge this is the last "legal" camping without having to drop down off the ridge (usually 1 mile and 1000 feet elevation).

Lake of the Clouds - (AKA lake of Crowds) This hut is in spectacular locations with the best sunset view. The close by hike up Mt Monroe for sunset is great. It also holds the most people and gets a lot of use. The only legal alternative to staying in the hut is to stay in the Dungeon which is a winter refuge room located under the building, it usually smells like an outhouse.

Madison Hut - Probably the second most spectacular location hut. There is alos a tent site nearby but it is very small and fills up. There is a short hike to the top of Mt Madison where there are 360 degree views of

Carter Notch Hut -Is located down in a rocky gap between two mountains on the shore of a very rocky pond. Some views to the east and at the surrounding cliffs. It tends to be the least popular of the huts.

Keep in mind the the huts tend to be small and there is a fixed schedule for all activities including meals that may irritate to folks who are not used to rules. If its rainy weather and the hut is full, the place is packed with little or no private space. The bunkrooms tend to noisy with people making noises all night and going back and forth to the facilities, think the shelter experience with 50 to 100 guests. Bring earplugs. Dependent upon weather conditions some of the bunkspaces get a distinct whiff of the toilets.

The hut crew tries to have some sort of lunch every day. Its usually AYCE soup and usually some bread and maybe cookies or similiar goods There is no guarantee but usually they have something. If you want supper or breakfast, you need to be staying at the hut.

If the weather is marginal, frequently folks drop out of multiday hut to hut trips, if they do, they will take walkins, but as usual no guarantees.

Hooch
12-01-2009, 20:57
Haven't been to the Whites yet, but as far as saunas are concerned, look in Hot Springs, NC. While not a true sauna, per se, the natural hot spring water in the tubs will sooth away every ache and pain, at least for a little while. Treat yourself while you're there. I recommend a soak in the tubs and then dinner and a nice cold beer at Rock Bottom. Try the buffalo burger, you won't be disappointed. :D

Woods Hole
12-01-2009, 21:10
I saw you asked about Saunas.. we have a Sauna at Woods Hole Hostel. It is an Sunlight Sauna.. i just spent an hour in it.. and feel amazing.
check out our website for info.. on our place and the sauna
www.woodsholehostel.com
Hope to see you at Woods Hole.
neville

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 21:32
Peakbagger- thanks a lot, very informative- will write it all in my guidebook.

Hooch- Wow, that sounds soooooo good right now. Fullday of hiking, an ice cold beer and hot springs.... Nice.

Woodshole- I actually looked at your site the other day, but somehow missed the sauna bit. You'll DEFINITELY see me. Anyone who has a sauna is basically put on my list without a second thought.

Wow- and smoothies and gourmet coffee? I feel like coming there right now.

You will most definitely see me. No question about it. NOTHING is better after a day of hiking than a sauna. Nothing. Well, not much.

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2009, 21:35
SL:

It is a little-known fact, but there is a sweat lodge/sauna at Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove, TN.

If you ask Bob when you get there, I'm sure he'll fire it up for you.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 21:45
Really??? I would not have guessed, good tip Jack!

sasquatch2014
12-02-2009, 08:28
Yeah when you get up to Pawling if you want to do a "Sweat" give me a shout and I'll pick you and anyone else that wants and we can do one as well. It's set up back where I have a little camp near some waterfalls so great spot for it.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2009, 08:47
Haven't been to the Whites yet, but as far as saunas are concerned, look in Hot Springs, NC. While not a true sauna, per se, the natural hot spring water in the tubs will sooth away every ache and pain, at least for a little while. Treat yourself while you're there. I recommend a soak in the tubs and then dinner and a nice cold beer at Rock Bottom. Try the buffalo burger, you won't be disappointed. :D

the natural hot water is pumped into hot tubs and chlorinated. not worth it

Lone Wolf
12-02-2009, 08:49
Hooch- Wow, that sounds soooooo good right now. Fullday of hiking, an ice cold beer and hot springs.... Nice.

how will you get beer?

Jeff
12-02-2009, 08:49
Galehead Hut - Newest AMC hut, very remote, sits down in the woods but right on the AT. Some views south to the Pemi area and east to the twins. The hike over from Lafayette is very rough with lots of PUDS.

Never heard anyone describe the hike from Lafayette to Galehead as "rough with lots of PUDS". Largest PUDS I ever saw !!!!:D

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 09:09
how will you get beer?

Oh don't worry...

Lone Wolf
12-02-2009, 09:10
fake i.d.?

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 09:12
Maybe, we'll see..... I actually get served in restaurants a fair amount (without being carded, not sure why).

weary
12-02-2009, 12:17
I like Madison Springs Hut. It tends to have more hikers and fewer "tourists." I haven't stayed at the huts very often. But in '93 I stopped at them all. The hut crews (croos) are all paid, but none get very rich. Tips are appreciated.

I never ran into any unpleasant staff, but except on my long walk north when I was a paying customer, I usually have just stopped in during the day for a snack and to say hello.

Weary

mudhead
12-02-2009, 12:57
I like Madison Springs Hut.
Weary

It does have elegant views right around the corner.

Don't lie. You just liked scoping out the croo calves. Can't say I blame you.:)

rickb
12-02-2009, 18:12
The AMC's Little Lyford Camp has a sauna. It would be down the blue blaze that goes through the Gulf Haggis in the 100-Mile Wilderness.

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 18:28
Awesome, thanks everyone

Blissful
12-02-2009, 20:57
Maybe, we'll see..... I actually get served in restaurants a fair amount (without being carded, not sure why).

Shouldnt drink if your underage. Its illegal. :eek: And the people who serve you can lose their liquor licenses, among other things... If you know you're under age, you should refuse to be served.

Its called honesty...and its still the best policy and a good reflection on the trail hiking community and in trail towns

white_russian
12-02-2009, 21:41
Shouldnt drink if your underage. Its illegal. :eek: And the people who serve you can lose their liquor licenses, among other things... If you know you're under age, you should refuse to be served.

Its called honesty...and its still the best policy and a good reflection on the trail hiking community and in trail towns

Give me a break. I bet you have broken the speed limit at least once in your life.

Appalachian Tater
12-02-2009, 22:39
Laws and law enforcement regarding alcohol and marijuana vary greatly from state to state and even town to town. It would be prudent to know what the possible consequences might be.

For instance, in NY, possession of 8 oz of marijuana is a felony and less than 8 oz is a misdemeanor while in NJ, possession of just 2 oz is a felony. In some states if you are a minor and have any measurable blood alcohol content and are driving a car, you just got a DUI even if it was one beer an hour ago. In some states you can't have open alcohol in a car at all, while in some states anyone but the driver can drink in a moving vehicle.

Just be careful and know what you're getting yourself into.

weary
12-02-2009, 23:06
As a 19-year-old living alone in Chicago in the late 40s, working minimum wage jobs, I found the booze laws were pretty minimally enforced.

I frequented the jazz clubs. When I had had enough beer, or had run out of money, and the bartenders started looking at me as if I was a freeloader in to just enjoy the music. I would just tell them I was too young to drink.

Weary

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 23:57
Honestly, I really don't care about alcohol much. Though I do appreciate a cold beer sometimes. :D

And as for restaurant rules, I know 'em all. I did some bar tending for a while, and was trained for my TIPS training by a guy who worked in several southern states, and told us all the laws he encountered there, etc...

sasquatch2014
12-03-2009, 08:42
I am still waiting for an organized Anarchy party to over throw the laws. :D

ShelterLeopard
12-03-2009, 08:47
Organized chaos- bring it.

Spokes
12-03-2009, 09:57
Vote Libertarian!!!!!

Roland
03-10-2010, 04:54
~ Heard lots of good comments in 2009 about the Madison Springs croo....~

In 2009, the Madison croo brewed their own beer. They were a happy lot!

JAK
03-10-2010, 09:24
Thanks for this. I've been thinking about doing a hut trip with my wife and daughter next time we drive down that way. Will probably go for one of the noisy ones. :)

IMHO's on AMC Huts

Lonesome Lake - Lots of families, it does have a good view up at the Lafayette Ridge but sits down in the woods near Lonesome Lake (really a pond. Tends to be noisy. The AMC lean to at Kinsman Pond has a much better view (but no food or bunks). It to is near a Pond and has the plus that you can do a short hike to the ridge crest int he evenign and get an incredible sunset and view east and west. I would save the cash on this one and stay at Kinsman Pond.

Greenleaf Hut - Great Hut located right at treeline, great view of the ridge and up high. Only Downside is that its a 1000 foot elevation drop off the AT.

Zealand Hut - In the woods near Zealand Falls. Gets a lot of families so it can be noisy.

Mitzpah Hut- Its down in the woods, no views to speak of, there is a tent site right next door. Its the standard spot to rest up and get ready for the next day which is the southern presidentials. Although there are bootleg spots along the ridge this is the last "legal" camping without having to drop down off the ridge (usually 1 mile and 1000 feet elevation).

Lake of the Clouds - (AKA lake of Crowds) This hut is in spectacular locations with the best sunset view. The close by hike up Mt Monroe for sunset is great. It also holds the most people and gets a lot of use. The only legal alternative to staying in the hut is to stay in the Dungeon which is a winter refuge room located under the building, it usually smells like an outhouse.

Madison Hut - Probably the second most spectacular location hut. There is alos a tent site nearby but it is very small and fills up. There is a short hike to the top of Mt Madison where there are 360 degree views of

Carter Notch Hut -Is located down in a rocky gap between two mountains on the shore of a very rocky pond. Some views to the east and at the surrounding cliffs. It tends to be the least popular of the huts.

Keep in mind the the huts tend to be small and there is a fixed schedule for all activities including meals that may irritate to folks who are not used to rules. If its rainy weather and the hut is full, the place is packed with little or no private space. The bunkrooms tend to noisy with people making noises all night and going back and forth to the facilities, think the shelter experience with 50 to 100 guests. Bring earplugs. Dependent upon weather conditions some of the bunkspaces get a distinct whiff of the toilets.

The hut crew tries to have some sort of lunch every day. Its usually AYCE soup and usually some bread and maybe cookies or similiar goods There is no guarantee but usually they have something. If you want supper or breakfast, you need to be staying at the hut.

If the weather is marginal, frequently folks drop out of multiday hut to hut trips, if they do, they will take walkins, but as usual no guarantees.

Symbol
03-10-2010, 11:04
I was at Madison Hut last year and can add my vote to them having an awesome croo.

JAK
06-04-2010, 04:31
How often are the huts resupplied by foot, and how far do they hike to hump the trash out and hump the food back in? Is it ever practical to volunteer to help them out in that respect?

Blue Jay
06-04-2010, 08:57
How often are the huts resupplied by foot, and how far do they hike to hump the trash out and hump the food back in? Is it ever practical to volunteer to help them out in that respect?

A few years ago I had a car parked below Galehead. I offered to pack out a run of garbage and the Croo told me it was not allowed. They did appreciate the offer, so please do so.

Jack Tarlin
06-04-2010, 12:03
Jay is right, they generally don't allow this for any number of reasons: They don't want anyone to get lost or hurt in the process; there may be insurance angles; if the person hauling trash etc. dumps it somewhere along the way the AMC will look bad if the garbage is traced to their facility; they can't risk incoming food/supplies being damaged, lost, tampered with, etc. For all these reasons, hauling in and out supplies and refuse is pretty much limited to staff. If you want to volunteer and help out the staff in oither ways, I'm sure they'd be happy for the offer.

JAK
06-04-2010, 12:21
That makes sense. I wonder if you could still accompany them, maybe carry something.
Probably me more of a nuisance. I know I would. lol
Worth offering though.

wcgornto
06-04-2010, 13:36
I didn't see any reference above, and it was a bit surprising no to see it, but regarding Saunas, the Dutch Haus in Virginia is one of the best places to stay on the whole trail and has a wonderful, fantastic sauna.

ShelterLeopard
06-08-2010, 22:37
Wh-haT!!!??? Dutch Haus has a WHAT? I had to pass it up 'cause I was meeting an off trail friend- maybe worth trekking back...