PDA

View Full Version : The Best Light Weight Tent

Trail Trooper
12-01-2009, 12:58
I AM LOOKING TO GET A LIGHTWEIGHT TENT HERE ARE SOME OF THE ONES I WAS LOOKING AT

1. GOSSAMER GEAR SQAULL

2 GOSSAMER THE ONE

3. RAINBOW

4. LUNAR SOLO

5. REFUGEE x

ANY THOUGHTS ON THESE

Manwich
12-01-2009, 13:16
Billy Mays Here With An All-uppercase Post

+1 For The Lunar Solo. It's So Roomy, It Can Hold All Of The Text You Flooded Us With!

Pacific Tortuga
12-01-2009, 13:23
# 3 Double Rainbow - made in the USA :D

Kerosene
12-01-2009, 13:28
It depends on what your priorities are. Mine are the best balance of weight relative to volume/roominess. I love my Lunar Solo, but I may spring for a Gossamer Gear The One someday.

Trail Trooper
12-01-2009, 14:17
Just Looking To Go Light For Long Distance And Bad Weather

bigcranky
12-01-2009, 14:21
All the tents you mentioned are fine. Really. Some are slightly larger (Squall), some have nice doors on the long side (Rainbow), but they have all been used successfully by gazillions of long distance hikers. Pick one and don't look back.

Red Beard
12-01-2009, 15:20
What about a Tarptent Contrail?

sparky2000
12-01-2009, 16:34
13-16 oz. + use sticks for pegs is an adequate shelter especially if your AT trodin since the shelters are there and the tent is just rarely used. Wild Oasis, six moon designs is an example. Lighter would be the poncho/shelter.

LIhikers
12-08-2009, 09:02
I have a Rainbow (the sigle person version) and am happy with it.
Light weight, plenty of room, high enough to sit up in it, and it does a good job protecting me from the weather and bugs, plus it can be free standing.

Tipi Walter
12-08-2009, 09:37
The best light weight tent? Hmm . . . .

Squall: It's got fairly good room at around 29 sq feet, but it's length at 81 inches and its sloping, angled foot end could be a problem allowing the sleeping bag foot to touch the often wet fabric. Another problem is the mesh on the sides with no fabric panels, so you would get spindrift snow coming in during a blizzard or windstorm.

THE ONE: At 18 sq feet is it about the size of the Hilleberg Akto, a popular "best light weight tent." This thing is all mesh and has a tiny bathtub floor so ground water could be a problem. The mesh of course won't work in a butt cold blizzard with spindrift. And angled head and foot front and back will wet the foot of a sleeping bag.

LUNAR SOLO: 28 sq feet, good size, but once again it is full mesh so it wouldn't make it "the best" lightweight tent due to extreme winter conditions. Also, it has a steep foot angle and you'll end up with a wet sleeping bag foot, especially if you have an 8 inch lofted down bag on a 2 inch pad.

THE BEST TENT? I'm convinced that the best tent would be one that does not touch the sleeping bag anywhere, with no open mesh, and preferably a double walled shelter for winter condensation and inside ice and wind.

mister krabs
12-08-2009, 10:23
THE BEST TENT? I'm convinced that the best tent would be one that does not touch the sleeping bag anywhere, with no open mesh, and preferably a double walled shelter for winter condensation and inside ice and wind.

But would that be the best tent for summer? Or for the coast? Or what?
Your best tent sounds like a great tent for winter condensation and inside ice and wind, but not so hot, pun intended, for 3 season use where I live.

I think that my best tent would be different from yours, and from the OP too. Like boats, there is no best tent, only a series of compromises that you make to find the best for you and your situation. This is what makes people gearheads. The process of examining and eliminating choices is fun. :D

To the OP's question, you've got a great dilemma to have. I have no experience on your choices, but like the looks of the tarptent moment.

Lyle
12-08-2009, 13:31
I use The One. Generally like it, and it has become my "go to" tent for the past couple of years. As Tipi Walter pointed out, it does have steeply sloping walls, that CAN contribute to some condensation problems. On the other hand, the extensive ventilation that he also criticized reduces the condensation difficulties tremendously. The vast majority of nights, even rainy nights, are not a problem.

As Mister Krabs said, there is no "best tent". You just need to find what appeals to and works for you. There will ALWAYS be a compromise or two to make.

The only way to get the absolute best, is to try them all, and keep trying them as new models come out - obviously not financially feasible for most of us, so most of us do some research, consider our experience, and make an informed judgment, then learn to live with it. This last part may be the most important, learn to use whatever equipment you decide on if you want to get the most out of it.

Schuetzen
12-08-2009, 14:14
I recently purchased a Gossamer Squall Classic, after seam sealing it weighs 27 oz with six easton stakes and stuff sack. I am 6 ft. and weigh 225 and there is plenty of room for me and all of my gear inside. Ask me next October and I will be able to tell you how it held up.

dlh62c
12-10-2009, 13:15
I recently purchased a Gossamer Squall Classic, after seam sealing it weighs 27 oz with six easton stakes and stuff sack. I am 6 ft. and weigh 225 and there is plenty of room for me and all of my gear inside. Ask me next October and I will be able to tell you how it held up.

How recently did you purchase one. Seems they haven't had any in stock for awhile. Did you get one of the seconds?

daryl

stick man
12-10-2009, 16:39
check out seedhouse 2 by big agnes used and abused it on my 09 thru hike lite and strong best tent Iever used . YOU can even set it up in the rain under it;s fly

skinewmexico
12-10-2009, 18:42
Best tent for you will be a lot different than the best tent for me. So it's an impossible question. My solution was to buy several.

Ramble~On
12-10-2009, 19:15
Here's another tent to consider. I used one on my thru hike and it served me well. 26 ounces for a double wall. Roomy, sets up in about a minute.
Rainfly rolls up over the ridge when not needed.

http://lightheartgear.com/
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/8/5/thru_hike_october_211.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=37142&original=1&c=member&imageuser=2785)

Schuetzen
12-10-2009, 19:48
dlh62c:
I purchased the Squall Classic about a month ago, I called them to find out if they had a demo of it and "The One" I could see if I came down to Austin because I wanted to see the tent before I made a decision. They did have demos and I made an appointment to see them. When I got there they actually had 1 new Squall they had been holding in case they needed to replace one for someone on the trail but they decided that was very unlikely to happen this late in the season and offered to sell it to me.

g8trh8tr
12-10-2009, 21:54
Bump for any version of Tarptent....I would recommend that over any SMD tent. I own both and TT has better customer service and a better quality product.

Lyle
12-10-2009, 23:28
Here's another tent to consider. I used one on my thru hike and it served me well. 26 ounces for a double wall. Roomy, sets up in about a minute.
Rainfly rolls up over the ridge when not needed.

http://lightheartgear.com/
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/8/5/thru_hike_october_211.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=37142&original=1&c=member&imageuser=2785)

They should use this photo on their website. I dismissed this tent because I thought it would be cramped. Your photo puts that concern to rest. I wish the gear manufacturers would use photos like this more often, instead of showing their empty tents.

Looks real nice.

JoshStover
12-10-2009, 23:34
What tent is that?

Lyle
12-10-2009, 23:37
What tent is that?

The Lightheart Tent - see the link right at the top edge of the photo.

JoshStover
12-10-2009, 23:39
OMG. Sorry man, I didnt see that link up there.

JoshStover
12-10-2009, 23:42
So what do you have to say about that tent Lyle? Did you have any problems with it during your thru?

Lyle
12-10-2009, 23:47
So what do you have to say about that tent Lyle? Did you have any problems with it during your thru?

Wrong guy to ask Josh. I was just commenting on (quoting) an earlier post. Personally I use The One, but I had looked at the LightHeart before and pretty much dismissed it. Wouldn't dismiss it so quickly now. The original poster of the pic said he used it on his thru, and was pleased. Maybe he'll elaborate.

JoshStover
12-11-2009, 00:09
My bad man. Thats what I get for not reading closer.

JoshStover
12-11-2009, 00:10
So what do you have to say about that tent Ramble? Did you have any problems with it during your thru?

HeartFire
12-11-2009, 00:16
There is a whole thread on the LightHeart Tent.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867

JoshStover
12-11-2009, 00:46
I recently purchased a REI Quarterdome T1 and I like it OK but I really wish it had more room. This LightHeart Tent has twice the room at half the weight of my Quarterdome. I am very seriously thinking about returning the Quarterdome and purchasing this LightHeart Tent. Anybody know of a reason why I should keep the Quarterdome and NOT get the LightHeart?

Also Heartfire. How long would it take me to get this tent after I place my order? Do you have them in stock or is it something that you have to make? Let me know. I am VERY interested in this tent.

JoshStover
12-11-2009, 00:48
I just saw on your site that it says it can take up to three weeks for special orders. If I get the standard grey how long we talking?

The Rabbit
12-11-2009, 00:59
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRADIOS%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I hiked with a group of section hikers through all of <st1:state w:st="on">Maine</st1:state> and <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Hampshire</st1:place></st1:state> during my thru hike...and all of them had Squall Tents. I got the chance to sleep in one a few times...I am 6'4'' 200 pounds...and had almost too much room (with all of my gear in the tent with me). The Spinnaker fabric is unbelievable....not only is it totally waterproof, but it really holds its shape in the elements and wont sag. Condensation is never a problem because of the great ventilation. For 2 pounds, the ability to hold you and all your gear, and full protection from the elements ....there is no better choice in my opinion. I am curious about "the one" too, it sounds like the real deal…but I have no experience with it.

Colter
12-11-2009, 09:33
I am very happy with the Lunar Solo. Roomy, bug-proof, sheds rain well, solid design, good size for the light weight.

HeartFire
12-11-2009, 11:20
Also Heartfire. How long would it take me to get this tent after I place my order? Do you have them in stock or is it something that you have to make? Let me know. I am VERY interested in this tent.

Yes, I have them in stock and ship them the day I get the order.
Judy aka HeartFire

300winmag
01-04-2010, 03:31
I own a TarpTent Moment and, having sold my Contrail after 3 summers of satisfied use I can say I definitely made the right move.

The Moment is the fastest pitching tent I've ever seen. One pole, 2 stakes and you're done.

Plus it is very wind resistant. The design, quality and attention to needed details is amazing.

Eric

LaVista
01-10-2010, 23:39
I used a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 for weekend campouts, but not for any serious backpacking.

Really enjoyed this tent, but I am probably putting it up for sale soon since I upgraded to a Hammock setup.

Tinker
01-10-2010, 23:58
Design-wise I like the Lightheart Tent, which I have used, and the
Moment, which I haven't.
Those of you who camp mostly in warmer months, use trekking poles, and sleep hot (I do) will probaby prefer the Lightheart. You can't possibly get more mesh in a canopy. It sets up very fast once you figure it out (maybe the second or third time you try), requires only 4 stakes (using 8 gives you more room, ventilation, and wind worthiness). Very nice.
What I own and will keep:
Hilleberg Akto. Expensive, spacious for one (super large vestibule). Light, fast pitching especially after I modified the guy lines (remember, my name's Tinker). Extremely stormproof (for its weight and the fact that it has only one pole). But - stuffy in warm, still air (very little mesh in the inner tent [though I should mention that they've come up with an all mesh inner, which you must purchase separately - and, like the tent, it's expensive).
With that tent and my hammock I'll be comfortable and safe just about anywhere, any time.
If the folks at Hilleberg were really listening when I talked to them extensively via email they may redesign the door zipper in the Akto, the only design flaw I could find that should have been addressed long ago.