PDA

View Full Version : what size backpack for thruhike?

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 14:41
I was wondering what size of backpack is generally used for a thruhike? I'm looking for something to carry up to 35lbs. For backpacking trips i've used the backpacks offered at the co-op at our school but will be purchasing a backpack later this month for my hike in March. I am trying to figure out the right size,and any other suggestions would be great as well.

Feral Bill
12-01-2009, 14:49
I was wondering what size of backpack is generally used for a thruhike? I'm looking for something to carry up to 35lbs. For backpacking trips i've used the backpacks offered at the co-op at our school but will be purchasing a backpack later this month for my hike in March. I am trying to figure out the right size,and any other suggestions would be great as well.

For that weight 3000-4000 cubic inches, maybe more if you are packing bulky (synthetic sleepiing bag). Try REI, Mountain Gear, or Mountain Goat in Spokane. I expect any of them will let you bring in your gear to check for volume.

Jeff
12-01-2009, 14:49
I am sure you have heard that the bigger the backpack, the more weight you are likely to carry....not a smart thing on a thru.

My earlier experience was with a 3000 cu in pack. May be a bit small for cold weather hiking. Would be very reluctant to get something larger than 3800 cu in.

This is my current pack for section hiking the AT:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

Mags
12-01-2009, 15:00
My advice is to gather all the gear you plan on using, load in 4 days of backpacker type food (or whatever you typically do between resupplies on the AT) and then schlepping it on over to REI or similar and load a pack up. Though there is no uniform standard for pack sizes, they really don't differ that much.

The pack should be the last thing you buy. One you have all your gear, you'll know what size you need for your equipment.

The 3-4000 CI seems to work well for most people (as was stated earlier).

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 15:16
Thanks guys.. my dad is working in Seattle right now so over Christmas break i'll be picking him up for Christmas and we will be headed to the REI in Seattle, which is amazing- kid in a candy store! I guess then once I have all my gear gathered i'll bring it in. Still also looking for a good sleeping bag. Right now i'm using my sister North Face- Cats Meow, but it's kind of heavy and really tight. I'm thinking of going with synthetic though because of the rain, and my budget ;)

Mags
12-01-2009, 16:10
I'm thinking of going with synthetic though because of the rain, and my budget ;)

I wouldn't worry about the rain with a down bag (good stuff sack and a plastic bag liner is golden)..but the Campmor Down bag at 2lb 4oz is a decent budget bag for $120

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

..and if you are going to Seattle, check out the local craig's list or used equipment stores. You may luck out and buy a good bag for cheap.

Tenderheart
12-01-2009, 16:28
If your stuff won't go into a 50 liter pack, then you've got too much stuff.

litefoot 2000

Pickleodeon
12-01-2009, 16:57
I totally agree with Mags. I wish I would've done some more research and shopping around for a pack. Definitely, defintely, defintely, get all of your "stuff" first- sleeping pad, shelter, bag, food, water arrangements, clothing. Then pare it down everyday- go through it and say, will I need this? You'll be amazed at how much junk you can get rid of before you leave, and especially in the first few weeks of your hike. I would even say go with a pack that everything just barely fits in, then once you get rid of some junk it'll fit better.

I saw tons of people in Damascus buying new packs. That's typically where they got rid of winter gear and other junk they were carrying for weeks/months. Get things as small and light as your budget allows. As long as you're comfortable with it, (I sleep more comfortable in a tent than a tarp, so I went with a pretty light tent, do go super UL if you're not comfortable with those adjustments/sacrifices).

I never really read the ultralight forum on here before my hike- I didn't think I could afford all that fancy stuff, but the guy that I ended up hiking with read it a lot, and his pack was way lighter than mine. It has a lot of good advice and simple weight saving tips without spending a buttload on top-o-the-line UL gear.

Anyway, think small pack.

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 16:58
Does the campmor bag hold pretty true to its 2o degree rating? I sleep real cold and that is my biggest concern on the trail, especially since i'll be starting fairly early in March.

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 16:59
Craigslist is a great idea! I was also thinking about looking at ebay a bit as well.

Mags
12-01-2009, 17:22
Some say yes..some say no.

A friend of mine (small, petite woman) who is a cold sleeper found the bag warm if worn with long underwear and a hat.

mudhead
12-01-2009, 17:49
Campmor has kelty 20* xp for $79 in the regular size. Note short zipper.

Bahhhgin.

buff_jeff
12-01-2009, 22:53
I've been carrying any expedition sized backpack for most of the AT. I think it's 6,000 cu. inc. :D

The first pack I bought got all beat up, so I got a refund and gave the money to my dad and had him grab packs for both of us; he got expedition backpacks.

They definitely have way too much space, but they work fine and I'm not putting out money for a new pack. 2 lbs. isn't much of a difference anyway.

FritztheCat
12-01-2009, 23:07
Does the campmor bag hold pretty true to its 2o degree rating? I sleep real cold and that is my biggest concern on the trail, especially since i'll be starting fairly early in March.

I haven't been in 20 degree weather yet (will probably do so this weekend) but I have this down bag and can tell you one night the temps were down in the lower 30's and I was warm. Another night it was in the upper 30's and I was sweating. Had to shuck off some clothes in order to sleep comfortably.

I would say it is pretty true to 20 degrees.

SassyWindsor
12-01-2009, 23:22
Pack sizes can vary greatly when you strap or net equipment to the outer surface of the pack. I normally would carry a 2400 cu/in but have used my larger 4000 cu/in pack when traveling abroad. The key is to try and keep total pack weight down as much as practical.

drifters quest
12-02-2009, 00:01
Wow, thanks for all the advice. Hopefully because of it I won't have to buy two packs! I am on a budget, but I still want light gear. IAfter weighing options for shelters I did decide on a tent, not only am I most comfortable in one, but if I go with me dog, it will be a better choice. I almost got a mountain hardwear stiletto 1 today for $150 on craigslist brand new (thanks for the suggestion), but some things happen and I missed out.. well, the guy felt bad and called me and told me he was also thinking about selling his brand new msr hubba, also for $150. It looks like it has room for my pack and dog, and at 3 lbs, I am ok with that. He'll let me know by thursday, i'm hoping he decides to sell it. I have a REI lite-core 1.5 inflatable sleeping mattress, do you think for a pad 1.9lbs is too heavy? or do you think that it might be better for the first part of the trail when its cold (it is insulated)... WOW! I should have just named this thread "gear advice"