PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Dennis Cove to Sam's Gap, NC

coheterojo
12-02-2009, 10:57
I'm getting ready for my last section hike before my thru-hike next April. I'm picking up where I left off at Sam's Gap (under I-26) and heading N to Dennis Cove. A total of 97.5 miles. Last year I used Bluff Mtn. Outfitters as a shuttle service. Since I'm parking my car at Dennis Cove I'll be very close to the Kincora Hiking Hostel. I noticed they do shuttles locally but I have been unable to reach them by phone to see if they can do this one.

I'm starting the hike on 12/26 and will reach Dennis Cove again on the 2nd or 3rd of January. Does anyone know if the Peoples can do this or which service would be best suited for this stretch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

CrumbSnatcher
12-02-2009, 11:01
PM miss janet. i hope you have a good time, that is one of the best sections of the trail

rpenczek
12-02-2009, 11:12
Bob at Kincora does shuttles from his hostel. Often he is out doing trail work, keep trying. I am not sure if he shuttles that far.

coheterojo
12-02-2009, 11:17
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2009, 14:09
Bob can be tough to reach by phone sometimes and very seldom does E-Mail.

Send him a postcard (1278 Dennis Cove Rd. Hampton TN 37658) and put your Phone # on it. He'll get in touch. If you're leaving your car there anyway, of course he'll take you anywhere you need to go.

Tennessee Viking
12-02-2009, 16:32
I'm getting ready for my last section hike before my thru-hike next April. I'm picking up where I left off at Sam's Gap (under I-26) and heading N to Dennis Cove. A total of 97.5 miles. Last year I used Bluff Mtn. Outfitters as a shuttle service. Since I'm parking my car at Dennis Cove I'll be very close to the Kincora Hiking Hostel. I noticed they do shuttles locally but I have been unable to reach them by phone to see if they can do this one.

I'm starting the hike on 12/26 and will reach Dennis Cove again on the 2nd or 3rd of January. Does anyone know if the Peoples can do this or which service would be best suited for this stretch?

Thanks in advance for your help.Sounds like Bob didn't have his hearing aid turn on. But try Bob at 423 725 3039 or 423 725 4409. You should be get him at one of them. But definitely contact Bob, being Christmas, he will probably have family in town or something.

You can also try Braemar Castle down in Hampton. Its only a short walk through the gorge.

I will be visiting family in the area and passing Hampton that afternoon of the 12/26, but I will be heading toward Boone & Deep Gap, NC that day.

Chaco Taco
12-02-2009, 19:59
PM miss janet. i hope you have a good time, that is one of the best sections of the trail

Yea Miss J should be able to help, she is in Erwin. You will love this section, I went out and did Sams to Erwin and few weeks ago and did to Kincora in summer. Great hike!

Morning Glory
12-09-2009, 21:24
I'm available to do shuttles in this area. I just ask for a donation.

coheterojo
12-10-2009, 10:16
I finally spoke w Bob Peoples this morning. He's going to be able to shuttle us down to Sam's Gap on 12/26.

Thanks again for all the reponses.

El Flaco

Chaco Taco
12-10-2009, 19:55
I finally spoke w Bob Peoples this morning. He's going to be able to shuttle us down to Sam's Gap on 12/26.

Thanks again for all the reponses.

El Flaco

Have fun on that section. If you have any problems, Im 20 minutes from Sams!

coheterojo
12-10-2009, 20:20
Thanks Chaco Taco. After next year's thru I'll be shopping a new place to live. I've still got a lot of southern Appalachians to hike. So I'm thinking your neck of the woods makes a whole heck of a lot more sense than the coastal plain as a base of operations.

As to the upcoming hike I'm definitely looking forward to it. I have enjoyed every section from Springer to Sam's Gap so far. I'm really looking forward to all the balds. I got lucky (with the weather) last year on Max Patch and had the most exquisite views. Plus I'll get another chance when I pass through this same chunk of trail around mid-May on my thru-hike.