PDA

View Full Version : Flip-Flop

Tucky
12-02-2009, 21:46
Greetings,

I'm planning on doing the PCT in 2011. Unfortunately I won't be able to start until the mid-end of June. I've been searching online but couldn't really find any solid information on flip-flopping the PCT. My initial plan would be to start at Kennedy Meadows and hike north to Canada, then return to Kennedy Meadows and hike south to Mexico. Is this the norm or should I consider a different route?

handlebar
12-02-2009, 23:48
I'd suggest you start at Walker Pass rather than Kennedy Meadows as it's fairly easy to get within hitching distance via public transportation after you finish up your hike at Manning Park. Just take the bus from Manning to Vancouver then another bus or train on to Seattle. You can take the train, bus, or airplane on down to LA then take Greyhound to Bakersfield where you switch to Kern Regional Transit to get on to Lake Isabella and then on to Onyx. From there you have to hitch to Walker Pass.

P.S. Lake Isabella has decent resupply and hardware stores for alcohol, but the Kern Motel is really nasty and I don't know about the other motel in town. '09 hikers recommend staying in Kernville instead (also on Kern Regional transit bus routes).

Here's the link to Kern transit schedules, etc.: http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/kernregionaltransit.asp

sbhikes
12-03-2009, 00:45
End of June? You could also start further ahead. Maybe Tuolomne Meadows. It'll be tough with the altitude and hills, but knowing you flop down to the JMT after Manning Park might be a good incentive not to just drop out.

burger
12-03-2009, 09:55
Are you going to be in great shape? Because if you start at Kennedy Meadows or Walker Pass, you're basically jumping on at the hardest part of the whole trail. I (and most other hikers, I think) found the Sierras hard even with 700 miles under my belt.

I'd suggest starting at Tahoe/Echo Lake in early July. That's a much easier section to start with. Then, when you flip south, you'll be in awesome shape. And you'll be able to do the Sierras in September when there's no snow and it's totally bug-free.

ARambler
12-03-2009, 10:33
Are you going to be in great shape? Because if you start at Kennedy Meadows or Walker Pass, you're basically jumping on at the hardest part of the whole trail. I (and most other hikers, I think) found the Sierras hard even with 700 miles under my belt.

I'd suggest starting at Tahoe/Echo Lake in early July. That's a much easier section to start with. Then, when you flip south, you'll be in awesome shape. And you'll be able to do the Sierras in September when there's no snow and it's totally bug-free.
Note, the later and further north you start, the closer to the sobo's you will be in the sierras. There are few sobos due to this window in the Sierras. I agree this flip gives you less snow overall than a sobo. I don't know, but think the Walker pass option is slightly better. Lots of people do the JMT without 700 training miles. You should plan extra time which means an extra resupply for the sierras.
Rambler

taildragger
12-03-2009, 10:39
Might also want to post on the PCT listserve and see what kind of responses you get there.

Also, your flop (or flip) will depend on what kind of snow year it is in the Sierra's and Cascades.

Tucky
12-03-2009, 14:33
Thank you all for the useful suggestions. I guess there's a lot to think about here and it seems as if an exact decision will have to be made depending on snow pack. To address the question on being in shape, this will not be an issue.