PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Whiteblazers - New Years Day hike?

bigmac_in
12-02-2009, 23:33
January 1, 2009 I met Chenango and Gorp-Gobbler out at the Sycamore Ridge Trail in Deam Wilderness. It was a great day and I decided to start every year with a hike from now on.

So - on January 1, 2010 I will once again be in Deam Wilderness to start my year. Anyone want to tag along? Not sure which trail I'll be taking yet, but will figure that out over the next few weeks.

Respond here, or PM me, if you're interested.

bigmac_in
12-03-2009, 16:01
Sheesh, I ain't feelin' the love . . . .

Lugnut
12-03-2009, 16:08
Maybe you weren't a good hiking partner? :D

bigmac_in
12-03-2009, 16:13
Well, I did lose a plastic spoon down a ice covered hill once. And refused to retrieve it.

Chenango
12-03-2009, 18:00
Maybe you weren't a good hiking partner? :D

Someone needs to help this guy out!! I am not driving out from NY this year, BigMac. :D

That was good hike last year!!

elmotoots
12-03-2009, 18:30
How many miles, what time do you start.

Talking to the wife I would like to get her to go, she wants to know if it is (a hike it as fast as you can hike ) or take your time and enjoy the sights hike?

elmo

bigmac_in
12-04-2009, 17:18
How many miles, what time do you start.

Talking to the wife I would like to get her to go, she wants to know if it is (a hike it as fast as you can hike ) or take your time and enjoy the sights hike?

elmo

I am NOT a hike as fast as you can hiker, I find that pointless. But everyone can hike at their own pace. Right now I'm thinking 7 or 8 miles, start around noon (might have a headache). If that is too far, or too short, you can keep going, or turn back.

Hope you can make it.

Big Mac

jorhawle
12-04-2009, 22:35
I could be up for this. Starting the new year with a hike doesn't sound too bad. I live in Nashville, not too far from those woods.

swirlman
12-04-2009, 22:56
Was planning a January hike in IN anyway. This just might work out. Live up Muncie way. Will check with son-in-law to see if he's interested also and get back with you.

downes911
12-04-2009, 22:58
Also might be up for this new tradition. Depends on family commitments!! Keep details coming

bigmac_in
12-07-2009, 07:23
Great - it looks like I might have some takers. I'll try to iron out more details this week or next. But I will definitely be out there, so make this hike your plans for the new year.

dradius
12-21-2009, 14:43
I am almost 100% that I'll be there. I will also be camping at least one night, if anybody is interested in that. And this time let's try to keep the spoons in the packs until we get to camp please.

bigmac_in
12-21-2009, 17:41
I'll definitely be out there, but probably not until 12 or 1. Have some company coming in rather unexpectedly for NYE.

Dradius - what night are you going to camp? Any preferences on which trail to take?

dradius
12-22-2009, 10:25
I would (will?) camp Friday night (New Years Day) and head out Saturday. Believe it or not I've never hiked the Sycamore trail, so if solo that is what I will do. But I'm completely fine with the Peninsula trail or whatever everyone wants to do if others are involved.

Things are a bit hectic with a new job and the holidays, but I will confirm 100% either late this week or the very beginning of next week.

bigmac_in
12-22-2009, 10:30
There's a great campsite about halfway on the Sycamore Ridge Trail. Has a big fire pit and a rustic bench someone put together. If I was camping, that's where I would camp. I would gladly do that trail again, although I've done it several times.

Ah hell, let's just count on doing that one. You could throw your stuff down and we could build a fire there before going on.

bigmac_in
12-23-2009, 07:09
I'm going to make it 1:00, just to be safe. Meet in the parking lot at the Hickory Ridge fire tower. We'll head out on the Sycamore Ridge Trail from there.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the area, here is a good link.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/trail_rogs/deam_wilderness.pdf

If you need directions, or any further info, just PM me.

Big Mac

bigmac_in
12-30-2009, 23:14
WELL, who's coming?????

swirlman
12-30-2009, 23:54
I'll be there if I can find the fire tower lot. Never been in that area. What would be the best way to get there comming from Indy, either comimg down 69 or 37? 69 would be better for me since I would be comming from Muncie.

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 00:20
I'll be there if I can find the fire tower lot.
It's a bit over 6 miles on Tower Ridge Road. It's on the left and fairly easy to pass. It is about 2 miles passed the Grubb trailhead.

The GPS waypoint for the firetower is: N39.03485 W86.32117

Take your time on the winding gravel road. A bud of mine wrapped his car around one of those trees.

rambunny
12-31-2009, 10:48
This is the 1st moment i've missed Ind. since moving to Atkins Va. and opening the hostel! Deam is a wonderful place-one of my fav's. Have a great time!

swirlman
12-31-2009, 12:16
Deam Wilderness-- Can you get to Tower Ridge Rd. from the East side of the park or do you have to come in from the West side off of highway 446 ? Been looking at some maps and it doesn't show Tower Ridge Rd east side very well. Just trying to find the best route there for me, coming from Muncie. Thanks

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 14:29
Deam Wilderness-- Can you get to Tower Ridge Rd. from the East side of the park or do you have to come in from the West side off of highway 446 ? Been looking at some maps and it doesn't show Tower Ridge Rd east side very well. Just trying to find the best route there for me, coming from Muncie. Thanks
I have only come down 446. To be safe I would go into Bloomington and down 446 unless you hear otherwise.

swirlman
01-02-2010, 16:53
Just a quick note to again thank bigmac for putting together a new years day hike in Deem Wilderness. Had a great time hiking and meeting bigmac for the first time. Hope it will be a yearly thing. Would also like to tip my hat to him for packing out previous campers trash they left behind and picking up trash in the Tower parking lot, he is truly a concerned hiker and loves this hobby/sport. Thanks again.

bigmac_in
01-03-2010, 11:21
Thanks swirlman, glad you could come along. Great hike - never got cold despite the outside temperature.

Chenango
01-07-2010, 14:12
Thanks swirlman, glad you could come along. Great hike - never got cold despite the outside temperature.

Anybody going to post pics?

bigmac_in
01-07-2010, 21:45
Anybody going to post pics?

Funny thing - it was 15 degrees, so I only took the camera out once to take a picture. Not much to see. Still had a good time and stayed fairly warm.