PDA

View Full Version : hole in montbell jacket

tenbeer
12-03-2009, 11:51
I have a montbell UL liner with a very minor slit. Just enough to let the down come out. What is the best way to repair this. Has any body tried dabbing a small amount of clear glue on the slit, or will this ruin the fabric.

Johnny Thunder
12-03-2009, 15:56
You should fix all down clothing and bags using special tape. It's made by whomever makes Sil sealer glue that you see in the outfitters. Just go into the outfitter and describe that you're looking for clear tape for down repair. It comes shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard in a tube made out of blue plastic.

burger
12-03-2009, 16:56
On the PCT last summer, I accidentally cut a hole in my brand new Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. With nothing else at hand, I put a piece of duct tape over the whole--the tape stayed on for the entire hike, and I don't plan to replace it. I can't see any harm in trying duct tape on your jacket.

kanga
12-03-2009, 17:24
i got a hole in my down inner and one of my friends put a tiny piece of scotch tape on it until i could get home to fix it. it's still there after many many uses. go figure.

tenbeer
12-03-2009, 17:26
the glue worked, just a little unsightly

Mags
12-03-2009, 17:40
Kind of after the fact, but I've fixed many similar problems (down jackets and sleeping bags, gaiters, nylon shells, etc) by using placing duct tape on the hole, grab an iron and use low heat to iron on the tape.

Works like a champ. One of those evil friends of mine who do not thru-hike showed me this trick. ;)

kanga
12-03-2009, 17:57
he hasn't thru'd? he really shouldn't be giving advice then.:rolleyes:

Mags
12-03-2009, 18:12
he hasn't thru'd? he really shouldn't be giving advice then.:rolleyes:

He's only an excellent backcountry skiier, climbed all the 14ers, lead trips and classes on mountaineering for the Colorado Mountain Club and has trekked all over South America. (he's also close to 50 and I have trouble keeping up with him!).

He should not be giving advice obviously...

:banana

kanga
12-03-2009, 18:15
egggsactly!

Egads
12-03-2009, 18:25
Musta been some deleted posts between #6 & #7.:confused:

But I agree with Kanga that one must thru hike touching each and every blaze, before providing any worthwhile advice on Whiteblaze :rolleyes:

dmgbos
12-03-2009, 18:35
Duct tape works fine. I have a few patches on my montbell jacket that have held real well.

That clear tape thing sounds good though...

dmgbos
12-03-2009, 21:04
Also let me add the duct tape has held through multiple washes.

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2009, 12:03
http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/mcnett_tenacious_clean_tape_clear

This stuff works really well....I had a duct tape patch on my bag fall off in Waynesboro (I put it on in Pearisburg). Bought this and I always carry it. I've patched a jacket , bag, and a tent with it and even after washing the jacket it still holds.