PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol on the AT In MD

dovecote
12-03-2009, 18:09
This might be old news and if so, sorry for bringing it up again. On my walk to downtown Harpers Ferry this morning passed the ATC office and took a look at the outside bulletin board. I noticed a poster mentioning alcohol beverages are prohibited on the A.T. in Maryland and that Maryland DNR rangers have been checking the Trail and shelters. The posted date for this was 5/30/09.

This is the first time reading about this and kind of curious if there are other sections of the trail that have this rule in effect. If so, what sections?

Hooch
12-03-2009, 18:27
Dancer and I hiked MD last month and we didn't see anything of the sort there. IMO, just keep any booze in your pack. They've got to have probable cause or your permission to search it.

jdb
12-03-2009, 18:29
Leave to Maryland to ruin a good time!

I don't think you can have alcohol in any state or federal parks.

jdb
12-03-2009, 18:30
In Maryland

sorry

Lone Wolf
12-03-2009, 18:31
This might be old news and if so, sorry for bringing it up again. On my walk to downtown Harpers Ferry this morning passed the ATC office and took a look at the outside bulletin board. I noticed a poster mentioning alcohol beverages are prohibited on the A.T. in Maryland and that Maryland DNR rangers have been checking the Trail and shelters. The posted date for this was 5/30/09.

This is the first time reading about this and kind of curious if there are other sections of the trail that have this rule in effect. If so, what sections?

nothing to lose sleep over

kanga
12-03-2009, 18:31
In Maryland

sorry
to maryland?

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2009, 18:32
There are certainly many State Parks and State lands where it is perfectly legal. And this goes for many "Federal" Parks, too......if memory serves, the camp stores in Shenandoah National Park all sell beer, and that's about as Federal as one can get.

People concerned about regulations Maryland might want to call the ATC.

Tin Man
12-03-2009, 18:40
If it is anything like the state parks in CT, they are just trying to cut down on the loud parties that end up scaring others off or getting someone hurt. They leave alone those who are in small groups and are discrete about it. I am sure no one is after a small (or large) flask this is stored in a pack for personal use.

dmgbos
12-03-2009, 18:57
This may be a good reason to attempt the 3 state ( or whatever the number is) challenge.

Pony
12-03-2009, 20:31
legal. And this goes for many "Federal" Parks, too......if memory serves, the camp stores in Shenandoah National Park all sell beer, and that's about as Federal as one can get.

That would be correct, at least as of last fall. I also seem to remember reading something at the kiosk at the northern edge of the park about no saws or hatchets. Wouldn't you know, the store at Elk Wallow wayside in addition to beer also sells hatchets.:-?

dovecote
12-03-2009, 21:55
Dancer and I hiked MD last month and we didn't see anything of the sort there. IMO, just keep any booze in your pack. They've got to have probable cause or your permission to search it.

I hike portions of the MD AT frequently and have never noticed any signs not permitting the use of alcohol. It seems very unsual to me that a 40 mile section of the trail would be deemed "no alcohol permitted". To my knowledge this is the only lenghty section of the trail that is under this edict. With that said, I have no plans to alter what beverages I will consume on the AT regardless of the state I am hiking in.

By the way, hopefully the link to the poster picture is attached.

dzierzak
12-04-2009, 12:41
I do remember seeing at least one "No alcohol" sign in a shelter in MD this year. I think it was Crampton Gap. No signs outside, just inside the shelter.

Manwich
12-04-2009, 12:48
One imagines it would be easy to find such law prohibiting liquor?

Manwich
12-04-2009, 12:53
Only published legal information I could find:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/alcoholfaq.html

TheKO
12-04-2009, 13:03
Okay - take 5 steps to your right or left and drink. You are no longer "on the AT"!

sasquatch2014
12-04-2009, 13:18
I recall there being some issues up in Pa with a ranger and drinking on State owned lands in the past year or so. I am sure it is a similar thing in more than just a few states. Just enjoy responsibly and take what comes is my thoughts.

Manwich
12-04-2009, 13:37
I recall there being some issues up in Pa with a ranger and drinking on State owned lands in the past year or so. I am sure it is a similar thing in more than just a few states. Just enjoy responsibly and take what comes is my thoughts.

This. I have a feeling those who are ticketed for it are probably deserving of it. I've been yelled at by rangers for screwing up inadvertently ("what do you mean I can't sleep "ON the Trail?") or responsibly ("Sorry about the fire sir. It's 10 degrees out here and I used an established fire ring") and been given only "warnings." If you go as far as getting a ticket, I'd wager you were thoroughly screwing around.

Lone Wolf
12-04-2009, 13:52

that was blatantly obvious "trail magic" party on the side of the road. dumb

sasquatch2014
12-04-2009, 14:04
that was blatantly obvious "trail magic" party on the side of the road. dumb

A Party I don't believe is in the realm of responsible if you bring attention to your doings then you are asking for problems. This goes for pretty much anything. I am a firm believer in trying to fly below the radar. always believe that there is a bench warrant somewhere with your name on it. :eek:

harryfred
12-06-2009, 00:18
Just hiked up from Harper's to Penn Marr a couple of days ago all the shelters and bulletin boards had the notice of no alcoholic beverages allowed on the trail. PA state parks don't allow alcohol, state forest or federal lands are OK, not sure about Game Commission lands. I almost always carry a pint or two of whiskey. I stays in my pack out of sight until the end of the day.

Patrickjd9
12-06-2009, 10:08
A Party I don't believe is in the realm of responsible if you bring attention to your doings then you are asking for problems. This goes for pretty much anything. I am a firm believer in trying to fly below the radar. always believe that there is a bench warrant somewhere with your name on it. :eek:
Agreed. People get hauled in over ancient warrants and identity screw-ups all the time, especially young people and others who don't fit the middle-class, middle-aged mainstream mold.

Best not to give them the chance.

veteran
12-06-2009, 10:53
Regulating Alcoholic Beverages in Maryland State Parks

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/dnrnews/pressrelease2009/031709.html

whitelightning
12-06-2009, 13:18
This. I have a feeling those who are ticketed for it are probably deserving of it. I've been yelled at by rangers for screwing up inadvertently ("what do you mean I can't sleep "ON the Trail?") or responsibly ("Sorry about the fire sir. It's 10 degrees out here and I used an established fire ring") and been given only "warnings." If you go as far as getting a ticket, I'd wager you were thoroughly screwing around.

I was at the forementioned "trail magic" party. I know now that alcohol is NOT permitted on PA state (commonwealth) game lands. It's dangerous to assume that any ranger/game warden/law enforcement agent will just give you a warning and let you go. In most cases they probably will, but if alcohol is involved it is less likely.

I hiked to a campsite near a road where 20 other thruhikers were drinking beer and eating hotdogs. What would you have done? Later that night 4 game wardens showed up and tried to issue us all citations for possiosion of alcohol. No warnings issued, no matter what we offered to do. They sent citations in the mail and told us if we didn't pay them in 10 days, federal warrants would be issued. Turned out that was BS intended to scare us. Like LW said, it was just dumb. It didn't need to happen. They were just asshats.

Brushy Sage
12-06-2009, 19:49
A few years ago my son and I spent a night at Pine Knob shelter, north of I-70. A man who got there before us was sipping on a pint of rum. He said he had been off the trail for a while, and that it was trail tradition to have a pint the first night back on the trail. It seemed pretty obvious that he had established the tradition. We left before he did the next day -- if he left at all.

sasquatch2014
12-06-2009, 20:14
A few years ago my son and I spent a night at Pine Knob shelter, north of I-70. A man who got there before us was sipping on a pint of rum. He said he had been off the trail for a while, and that it was trail tradition to have a pint the first night back on the trail. It seemed pretty obvious that he had established the tradition. We left before he did the next day -- if he left at all.

No I am pretty sure that it is found on page 4 of the trail hiker constitution regarding traditions and what not.

ShoelessWanderer
12-06-2009, 22:45
If it is anything like the state parks in CT, they are just trying to cut down on the loud parties that end up scaring others off or getting someone hurt. They leave alone those who are in small groups and are discrete about it. I am sure no one is after a small (or large) flask this is stored in a pack for personal use.

I know in NC & VA (parks where it's illegal) I've taken groups and we've been drinking, but you put it in a cup and not have it out on display. In general, if you're not loud or being obnoxious, they don't care.

Hoop Time
12-09-2009, 21:36
My experience in Pennsylvania state parks has been that rangers don't come looking for it and as long as you drink responsibly and cause no problems, you are unlikely to ever have a hassle. Heck, they have to know it goes on given the amount of cans and bottles that get into the recycling containers.

DylonHike
12-09-2009, 21:49
id say if you have a bottle of liquor in a flask or something of the sort you would be fine. it would be stupid to walk around with beer in your hand. and like others said, as long as you arent loud and causing trouble you should be fine

Graywolf
12-09-2009, 21:52
I don't condone drinking on the trail for reasons quite obvious...And we all know about those that have and left the crap around the shelters for others to pick up the trash... A good reason for the ban..

However, please for yourown sake, if you are drininking on the trail, please drink responsbly... We don't need no WWIs while drinking on the trail..:eek:

JonnyWalker
12-10-2009, 13:27
I know for a fact they sell booze inside SNP. I believe the campgrounds they sell them in are privately owned but they have no problem selling six packs to hikers. Prices weren't even half bad.

sasquatch2014
12-10-2009, 15:49
id say if you have a bottle of liquor in a flask or something of the sort you would be fine. it would be stupid to walk around with beer in your hand. and like others said, as long as you arent loud and causing trouble you should be fine

Does this mean my hat with the room for two cans and a straw into the moth is not advisable? I mean it protects me from the sun and rain too so it is multifunctional. :rolleyes:

Mrs Baggins
12-10-2009, 16:38
We've taken our trailer to numerous state and federal parks in states all over the US that said "No alcohol." Right. Do they really believe that people in their 50's (or any legal age of course) in any kind of RV are going to spend the evenings sipping iced tea? On what planet? We just pour it into our coffee cups (while inside the trailer) and then sit outside with it. Inside we have our wine with dinner. On the trail we are always going to have our flasks. In SNP there were 3 of us and 2 bottles of wine in our packs. Enjoyed it right out in front of everyone in the evenings.