PDA

View Full Version : Twin Lakes Dam route re-established

wandering_bob
12-03-2009, 21:06
Today, I received the Fall 2009 edition of the CTF's Treadlines and was pleased to read that the trail across the top of the Twin Lakes dam has now been reopened to hikers.

Paraphrasing from the article on page 11:

In October, BLM announced it was reopening the CT/CDT across the Twin Lakes dam near Leadville in segment 11. This re-establishes the top of the dam as the official CT route. "As soon as our volunteers are able, we'll eliminate the signs on the temporary route and re-establish the dam as the Trail."

The Mount Ebert Pump Station, as well as the trail across the dam, was closed to the public "in the interest of national security" amid the paranoia immediately after 9/11. :-?

Both the CTF and the CDTA are to be thanked for their tireless efforts over the years to get this section of shared trail re-established. No mention was made in the article regarding the status of the pump station, which used to be a pleasant rest stop for hikers.

thejackal
12-19-2009, 14:54
that's great. the walk around was not too cool.

cabana
01-31-2010, 13:30
I am hiking thru this area in the summer. Where can the new route info be found? I had no luck on the CT website for the "re-route". Will the trail still be within 1 mile to resupply at Twin Lakes?
Thanks,
John

Mags
01-31-2010, 23:26
The CT is well marked for a Western Trail. It really does not change the mileage into Twin Lakes. The new guidebook (8th edition) should be coming in the Fall of 2010 as well.

cabana
02-01-2010, 20:47
Thanks Mags,
By the way...you site was very helpful for planning my hike last summer. Thanks for the service you provide for other hikers!
Regards,
John

wandering_bob
02-03-2010, 21:53
I emailed the CTA about this. Here's their reply:

"We'll have the new route over the Twin Lakes dam published in our Map Book, but not the Guidebook or Databook. We'll be adding it to our website, although I'm told that the timing on that is still up in the air. Directions are pretty simple, as the route goes straight over the dam as opposed to meandering around it. Volunteers have already been out roughly re-marking the new route, and a crew this summer will be out there completing the task. The route doesn't change the accessibility to Twin Lakes for resupply. Although the CT hasn't/doesn't take hikers thru Twin Lakes, it's a short ~1 mile trip to get there. Twin Lakes is a super small town, but does offer enough for a basic resupply."