PDA

View Full Version : Wind Shirt Recommendations

Don H
12-03-2009, 23:26
I'd like some input on buying a wind shirt. I'm thinking it needs to be less than 5 oz. in weight. I don't know if I need a hood or pockets but I would like to have a full zipper. Any suggestions?

Scooby99
12-03-2009, 23:38
I find it hard to beat Montbell for a lot of clothing, their wind jacket with hood is 3.3 oz with a hood and full zip.

Slo-go'en
12-03-2009, 23:42
I like my nylon anorack. Has a nice big pocket right in front and makes a decent rain jacket too - if I remeber to waterproof it every season. It's probably 8-9 oz, but doesn't take up much room in the pack. I stuff it in someplace where there would otherwise be some dead space.

mister pooh
12-03-2009, 23:48
While you're shopping, make sure to check out bicycling clothing. I found a jacket at REI on clearance in the bike section (Canari I think the brand is) that was about 4 ounces for $20 or so. No hood, but it's really breathable.

burger
12-04-2009, 00:09
The Patagonia Houdini is my absolute favorite piece of clothing--light (3.7 ounces), breathable, tough. And it has an awesome hood which can really make a difference on coldish days. You can probably find last year's model on ebay relatively cheap.

FamilyGuy
12-04-2009, 01:09
I have the Integral Designs Pertex Windshirt. Under 5oz and I really like the hood.

BrianLe
12-04-2009, 08:34
My size medium Golite Wisp windshirt (from a couple of years ago) weighs 2.7 ounces. Hoodless, no pockets, and unlike what you're looking for it doesn't have a full zip. I too normally want a full zipper, but if you think about the conditions in which you use a full zipper on a windshirt, perhaps by the time you want to vent that much it's just time to take off the windshirt ... and you have to take your pack off to put on or take off the windshirt in either case.

There are a couple of the things I really like about having a windshirt this lightweight. One is that I just never debate about taking it, I just toss it in my pack. The other is for use on walks around home. It's small enough packed that it fits easily in a pocket --- whereas my wife's hooded windshirt is IMO too bulky to do that. So going on walks if I'm not sure I'll be warm enough or if I want to be warmer starting out, I know that I can just stick it in a pocket when I don't need it --- no need for a pack or fanny pack.

Hoodless: I prefer the flexibility of putting something akin to a knit/stocking cap in my pocket (something fairly small and wool or synthetic). Start out walking in the morning with something like that on, swap to my baseball style hat when I warm up without having to stop. For wind when it's not as cold, I typically use an OR brand had that has a removeable "french foreign legion" style back flap that can enclose my face quite a bit. In addition to the normal anti-sun use, in the pretty rare case where wind is bothering me and I don't want a warmer hat, this works out pretty nicely.

Lots of ways to go about this stuff, best luck in figuring out what works best for you!

brooklynkayak
12-04-2009, 08:53
I have the Integral Designs Pertex Windshirt. Under 5oz and I really like the hood.

Same here. I've worn out a couple of windshirts. This was the first with a hood. I highly recommend the hood as it allows you to bring a lighter hat. The hood adds a lot to the insulation factor by blocking the wind and it only adds a few grams to the weight.

I also find the pertex material to repel water better than others , but still breaths pretty good. Works great in mist and under a poncho in a downpour.

This is the best wind shirt I've ever tried and many agree that they don't get any better.
It is kinda expensive though.

I also agree with the post about the bicycle gear suppliers. Bicyclists tend to be big fans of wind shirts. I purchased my first windshirt from a bike site and I think it was only $20 or $30. The next windshirt I owned was a better Mountain Hardwear brand for a bit more money. They all did a good job and were well worth the money, but it was worth the extra $ to get the ID hooded.

Grinder
12-04-2009, 09:44
check out Stumpknocker's journal for his 2008 through hike (trailjournals.com) in the gear section.

He recommends a wind shirt highly and I'd take his word straight to the bank. I would tell you the brand and model, but I don't remember

I went to check his journal and it's not real obvious. He does have a marmot driclime
and he mentions a marmot so and so, but I can't find the so and so at the marmot site It might be the "ion" because he calls it a clothes drier and other reviews say the ion is short on venting.

Ewker
12-04-2009, 10:02
I have a Golite Wisp and a marmot windshirt (with hood) and like both of them. I find it amazing how something so light can block the wind like they do.

Hoop
12-04-2009, 15:15
Montane windshirt - super light and effective (Pertex). Front vertical zip pocket, no hood. They fit tight for the size, so I'd bump up.

Peaks
12-04-2009, 17:36
Like other gear, several good choices, and one brand does not suit all. Try on different brands and styles and see what fits you best.

g8trh8tr
12-04-2009, 21:43
Bump for Golite Wisp...I love it

Don H
12-05-2009, 11:03
Can your rain jacket double as a windshirt? I'm looking at the Intergal Designs Thru Hiker jacket made of eVENT.

FamilyGuy
12-05-2009, 17:16
Can your rain jacket double as a windshirt? I'm looking at the Intergal Designs Thru Hiker jacket made of eVENT.

That one works very well because of the eVENT. Really breathable. Not as much as Pertex, but then it's waterproof.

paintplongo
12-05-2009, 21:37
Different brands for different people because the same people in china are making them all with very little differences between them...

MikenSalem
12-05-2009, 22:13
The montbell wind shirts are pretty small I got an XL and it was tiny. I'm 6-0 and 230# XL is not supposed to be tiny!

Tagless
12-05-2009, 22:33
Burger said...

The Patagonia Houdini is my absolute favorite piece of clothing--light (3.7 ounces), breathable, tough. And it has an awesome hood which can really make a difference on coldish days. You can probably find last year's model on ebay relatively cheap.

I wholeheartedly agree with Burger! My wife and I used our Patagonia Houdini wind jackets almost every day of our thru hike. At just 3 ounces, it is an incredibly versatile piece of gear - water resistant and very compact when folded up. Highly recommended!!!

FamilyGuy
12-06-2009, 01:09
Different brands for different people because the same people in china are making them all with very little differences between them...

Integral Designs makes everything in Calgary, Canada.

Ewker
12-06-2009, 02:57
The montbell wind shirts are pretty small I got an XL and it was tiny. I'm 6-0 and 230# XL is not supposed to be tiny!

I have heard that you need to order the next size up from what you wear when ordering any type of clothing or jackets from Montbell

mudhead
12-06-2009, 09:54

What are the shoulders/sleeve length like in that size?

Can you compare it to some other size clothing or a dress shirt size?

Would cost me shipping two ways just to look at one of these. I have read their size chart, but am leery.

Don H
12-06-2009, 10:27
Just bought a Houdini. They were not on Patagonia's website, did they stop making them?
Also, MontBell jackets do run small, I ordered one size up when I bought my Thermawrap which I really like and goes on all my trips.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

brooklynkayak
12-06-2009, 10:28

My experience is that E-Vent and Goretex type rain jackets don't breath as well as I'd like. They don't vent water vapor enough in many situations so I end up leaving a rain jacket unzipped to vent the steam. An unzipped jacket doen't block wind as well so then I get chilled.

A windshirt can be worn under a rain jacket/poncho/cape in cold rain to add some warmth and help reduce the amount of water that gets inside.

At 3 to 5 oz, a wind shirt is must have in my opinion.

bigcranky
12-06-2009, 11:06

Not for me, no. Even the most breathable rain shell still isn't breathable enough compared to a <3oz windshirt. Yes, I have tried eVent.

Tinker
12-06-2009, 14:49
I had a hoodless Golite Wisp and missed having a hood and full zip (which I have on a heavier old windbreaker), so I sold it and bought a Marmot Ion with hood and full zip. It's 5-5/8 oz. in XL, which is big enough on me (5'10-1/2" and 210 lbs.) that I can layer a light down vest, sweater, or more often, a medium fleece under it.
I can't say enough about the value of a full zip and hood. One thing not often mentioned that a hood can do is to keep your hat (stocking or ball cap) from blowing off on exposed terrain).

As Bobby 8088e states below, the Ion is not very water resistant at all. The Golite Wisp is better but it wets through in about 15 min. in moderate rain.
I own an REI eVent jacket and it is basically waterproof first, breathable second - same as GoreTex and other RAIN jackets. The Marmot Ion can be worn by itself against the skin if desired for a very light shirt in warmer weather without sweating up a storm.
My Sierra Designs GoreTex (old) jacket got uncomfortably warm around 50 degrees.
My REI eVent does the same around 65 degrees. The former has a separate liner. The latter does not.
Don't start a long, cold hike thinking that a windshirt can be used for rain protection, and don't think that a rain jacket can be used in warm weather without causing sweating (unless the ventilation options are well designed).

MuffinMan11
12-06-2009, 20:03
I bought a Marmot Ion and took it on the trail this weekend. Wow I cant believe what I had been missing. Woke up to 17 degrees on my thermometer in Austin (say what). Had my thermals and a light shirt on and the wind jacket and was completely warm comfortable and never had sweating issues. Started misting shortly after starting in the morning and wanted to test how much rain it could shed. Didnt work so well. Sizing I thought was kind of smal when I first put it on (Medium-5'9" 170 42" shoulders) but after using it the sizing was perfect and my UL Down jacket fits under if it gets really cold.

Treefingers
12-07-2009, 16:31
This wind shirt weighs in at 5 oz... I own a rain jacket from Arc'Teryx and it has been one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought. It is available at BackcountryGear.com i have owned a Golite Ether Windshirt and they run a little small to layer under them if you don't size up. i owned the model with only a short zipper on it but it served me well otherwise. The marmot Ion Windshirt seems to be a nice model that is lighter than the Arc'Teryx model and prob cheaper too...

Egads
12-24-2009, 07:35
I'm considering acquiring a windshirt. My son uses one and usually wears one less layer or wears a lighter outer layer than I do while hiking in cold weather. I don't know which fabric is the most effective for blocking wind and being breathable. Any personal experiences comparing these wind jackets is appreciated

Integral Designs $90 w/ hood 4.9 oz
Pertex Microlight

MontBell $79 w/ hood 3.3 oz
15-denier Ballistic Airlight polyamide rip-stop nylon

Pearl Izumi $75 hoodless
Optik fabric