PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs

Powell19
12-04-2009, 03:39
I was at Dicks doing some xmas shopping and ran across the Frogg Toggs Pro Action rainsuit for about $50. I almost bought it, but I realizes that I was there to shop for others, not myself. Doh!

Anyhow, I've heard people mention Frogg Toggs in the forums. Can I get some input from those of you who have tried them. Pros? Cons?

BackTrack1
12-04-2009, 07:29
there good until you snag them on a branch or something them there worthless .

superman
12-04-2009, 09:23
You'll see them thrown away along the trail. Not durable and when they pill they are very flamable around a camp fire. They are light but they don't stay water prroof in extended warm rain. I use a real cheap plastic rain jacket. It got a tear in it and I repaired it with tent tape. It's hard as hell to repair frogg toggs.

tammons
12-04-2009, 09:30
FYI, the pro action suit with the zip away hood is heavier. More expensive too.
That price is high. Mine weighed about 20 oz.

The regular old driducks suit is a lot lighter, but not as durable and really cheap like $12 on sale. Weighs about 10 oz.

Lyle
12-04-2009, 11:14
Frogg toggs are fine. I've used a cheap, medical supply, version of the same technology. Had that set for about 4 or 5 years now, still works great, no tears or leaks (very, very seldom use the pants). Best waterproof/breathable that I've used (only other was GoreTex that I felt was useless both as a breathable jacket and as a rain jacket - was ok for wind)

I have, for the past two trips, replaced them with a Brawny Gear sylnylon rain jacket and ULA RainWrap. Much lighter and more compact solution. I've not had a major problem with the non-breathable fabric (what we all used for years) that couldn't be alleviated with good base layer.

Plenty of people like their Frogg Toggs, not sure where they are this morning. :D

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Spokes
12-04-2009, 11:35
Ditto what BackTrack1 said. Most thru's who use them a quick to say you have to be careful.

They seem to suffer lots of armpit rips when you put them on in a hurry. Beware!

Powell19
12-04-2009, 15:46
So, cheaper and lighter than GoreTex and the like, but easy to destroy.

I've used a goretex and pvc both on rainy backpacking trips, and I like my old pvc poncho better than anyhting. It wasn't worth much in snow/freezing rain though.

Do Frogg Toggs keep cold wind out, too?

Doooglas
12-05-2009, 12:02

I've used a goretex and pvc both on rainy backpacking trips, and I like my old pvc poncho better than anyhting. It wasn't worth much in snow/freezing rain though.

I wouldn't say Toggs are wind resistant. For cooler climates get a good gore tex rig with pit zips..
My jacket is over my headrest in the Jeep. I wear it almost every day.
It's not for brush busting but it's a good system primarily geared toward fisherman.
I made mine into a short sleeves and shorts.

Powell19
12-06-2009, 03:11
Sounds like FT might not be the gear for my thru, but they sound great for my B.O.B or my day pack.

crazypete
12-08-2009, 10:20
I did a hike early this year and switched out my rain jacket and rain pants for the lighter frogg toggs. I donned them early as a windbreak and they got mangled and shredded by branches and rocks I climbed past...something my north face rain jacket could have taken without question or so much as a scratch. I wouldnt rely on these to keep you dry unless you baby them and you cant baby them cause you're backpacking.

So no... leave the FT's at home.

Rocketman
12-08-2009, 10:58
The bugaboo about lightweight gear is that it isn't "BombProof" so that you can blunder your way through.

If you are a "Blundering Backpacker", by all means stay away from any really lightweight gear.

If you are more careful, and concerned about light weight and not wanting to put out the money for top gear, than by all means try the "Dry Ducks" or "Frog Togs".

It isn't true that these garments are not repairable. Duct tape will get you safely home, and then some. But, you will be happier with new inexpensive raingear.

Good luck, and good hiking.

Rocketman
12-08-2009, 11:14

I would suggest to you the following "self teaching" activity.

Go into shops with backpacking raingear, and pick out a bunch of expensive Waterproof and Breathable jackets. Put each up to your mough and try to blow air through it, as hard as you can.

Do the same with FrogTogs or Dri Ducks.

Do you notice any difference?

All of these products are more breathable than a sheet of plastic film. Yet, they all feel pretty much like trying to blow air through a plastic film.

Then come and ask why that is. Or try to figure it out.

Remember that there is more to "Jacket Wind Risistance" than just air being forced through a small square of fabric. There is wind penetration up the sleeves, up the bottom hem of the jacket and air penetration through the front closure (sipper/buttons/velcro) and air penetration through the neck area.

These air leaks are more jacket design dependent than material dependent.

Hyway
12-08-2009, 13:18
A friend who thruhiked in 2006 tore his first pair of frogg toggs, but that taught him to be less brutal with them when he got another pair. I don't think he tore them again the rest of teh way.

warraghiyagey
12-08-2009, 13:31
They're junk for hiking, don't waste your money. . .

Peaks
12-09-2009, 09:19
They're junk for hiking, don't waste your money. . .

It all depends. You see plenty of thru-hikers with them. Myself, I've got lots of miles on my Frogg Togg bottoms. But, then again, I don't use them when doing off trail hiking either.

crazypete
12-09-2009, 09:47
Theyre just way too fragile. If you ever find yourself off trail and having to bushwhack, you would be destroying your rain protection. Then you would be lost and wet.

Its a piece of fragile gear that doesnt belong on trail. If you need ultralight raingear then get a silnylon top and bottom. That holds up a lot better and might even be lighter.

Lyle
12-09-2009, 09:57
Love the folks, most of whom have probably not used the gear, make blanket, absolute statements about what will or won't work or what is or is not appropriate.

Frogg Toggs have worked for a LOT of hikers, thru and section. If you think you may like the low cost and light weight, give them a try. Just keep in mind that they are not meant for bushwhacking or abusive treatment. That is something to keep in mind with all of your lightweight gear - tents, packs, sleeping bags.

The way we all got to have a choice of lightweight gear (as opposed to only the bomb-proof products Kelty, Jansport, Nort Face, etc. used to provide) was by accepting some responsibility for equipment care and not abusing it.

Personal decision. If bomb-proof is important to you, then spend the big bucks. Just know that you don't have to.

BobTheBuilder
12-09-2009, 10:20
I'm kind of surprised at the posters who dismiss them as "crap." I've used mine, top and bottom, on several section hikes of a week or so. The fabric does seem to be pilling some on the top, but I haven't noticed any leaks. I'm not exactly a delicate flower and they seem to be holding up OK. I don't do any bushwhacking (does anyone on the AT?) but they're not made out of tissue paper, either.

The one thing I don't like about them is how the velcro on the rain fly of my tarp tent seems to grab the frogg toggs fabric every time I get in and out. Otherwise, they work just fine for me.

Alligator
12-09-2009, 10:31
I used a pair for section hiking for about 5-6 years. Got a small hole in the pants but the top is still usable. I bought a new pair this year. The newer models have stiffer fabric.

As Lyle says, they are not for bushwhacking but they work well for the AT. The pants are usually too bulky but the weight and price is good. Don't pay $50 for them, they can be had for $30-$40 on clearance.

I got a different set than the pro action, I think it's called the Bullfroggs (keep forgetting, sorry). Much nicer hood, better zipper protection, nicer leg zips. But the pants are bigger than needed, the sizing runs large, check the specs.

They are useful for blocking wind too.

Do a search on Frogg Toggs here and you'll get plenty more reviews.

nitewalker
12-09-2009, 10:36
there good until you snag them on a branch or something them there worthless .

same with all gear. dont snag em......peace:eek:

Peaks
12-09-2009, 16:44
same with all gear. dont snag em......peace:eek:

And carry duct tape!

Maddog
12-09-2009, 16:46
I was at Dicks doing some xmas shopping and ran across the Frogg Toggs Pro Action rainsuit for about $50. I almost bought it, but I realizes that I was there to shop for others, not myself. Doh!

Anyhow, I've heard people mention Frogg Toggs in the forums. Can I get some input from those of you who have tried them. Pros? Cons?
they're on sale at bass pro shop for $29.99!:D

jjohn06
12-09-2009, 18:11
For me, Frogg Toggs (or rather DriDucks) are absolutely perfect for the AT. They a light, cheap, and reasonably waterproof/breathable. They are not the strongest however, but plenty of people are able to make the entire trail with only 1 pair (and if thry do break they are easily and cheaply replaced.)

Doooglas
12-14-2009, 21:55
For me, Frogg Toggs (or rather DriDucks) are absolutely perfect for the AT. They a light, cheap, and reasonably waterproof/breathable. They are not the strongest however, but plenty of people are able to make the entire trail with only 1 pair (and if thry do break they are easily and cheaply replaced.)
And when you order a pizza, somewhere on the AT, in VA., they can pick up another pair on the way there.:p

Chip
12-14-2009, 22:18
If you buy the light weight version of Frog Toggs (Tyvek style material ) you may have problems. I have a pair of the "Elite" Frog Toggs made of 100 percent polyester, shell and the lining. No snag problems and they are great for blocking out the wind. Go to www.froggtoggs.com (http://www.froggtoggs.com) for more info. I guess "to each his/her own. Whatever strikes your fancy. :)

superman
12-14-2009, 22:24
And carry duct tape!

When mine ripped I tried to repair it with duct tape, glue and I even tried sewing them...nothing worked.:-?