PDA

View Full Version : Anyone starting Feb. 15th?

dgaf169
12-04-2009, 11:35
Hello all this is my first post on whiteblaze. Ive been gathering info from this site for quite a while now but this is my first forum posting. I will be starting my NOBO thru hike Mon, Feb. 15th. Just wondering if anyone else what thinking of starting that week. I also wanted to ask what is everyone taking to battle the cold...heres what Im taking, tell me what you think.
Sleeping Bag-Marmot Helium EQ 15 degree 850 fill down
Jacket-Mountian Hardware Subzero 650 fill down (hopefully i will only be wearing this at the shelters...we shall see)
Base Layer-Although I havnt bought them yet i was looking at ICEBREAKERS or Patagonia. Let me know what you think, im completely open to suggestions!
Gloves/Hat-Marmot Spring Gloves and a Balaclava

I will also be taking a Mountain Hardware Windstopper tech jacket that i can use for layering. Too much, too little, let me know what you think!

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 11:49
Sweet- I'll be there about half a week after you! Gear you listed sounds pretty good- several people have suggested that I bring fleece pants as well as a fleece sweater (to go under my down patagonia jacket), because I'm also using a 15 degree bag.

My basic cold weather gear list:
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 degree down bag
Patagonia 800 fill (I think) down jacket
Long underwear (also Patagonia, I think- and very nice, love it)
Fleece sweater
Either another kind of long underwear bottoms, or fleece pants or knee length pants.

Not including hiking clothing and socks, etc...

And I considered getting down booties for in camp and in bed, but we'll see.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 11:49
PS- Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 11:56
PPS- Just read your other post in the 2010 registry- sounds like some good prep! I'm working out during the week in a gym (I figured, if the same muscles hurt after doing that, as the muscles that hurt after hiking, it's pretty good), and trying to do lots of outdoor hiking over weekends. I can't hike during the week because of work.

Soak your feet in black tea for half an hour, twice a day. (I've been told that by several people here, and it really works) The tanins will toughen up your feet and prevent blisters. Buy that cheap tea (100 circular black tea bags for something like $1.50 at your grocery store. Circular, because you don't want staples and tags on the tea bags.) I was going to do that starting in the end of January to prep for the hike, but might just start now- it feels really nice.

Thrasher
12-04-2009, 12:05
My wife and I are leaving the 13th. We're bringing Jacks r better Rocky Mtn. No Sniveller quilts. Wool (ibex, smartwool, or icebreaker, whatever was on sale) base layers (lightweight to hike in and midweight for camp), hoody, balaclava, and mittens. Hopefully we won't have too many clothes but you can never tell what the weather will be like in Georgia.

white_russian
12-04-2009, 12:19
I also wanted to ask what is everyone taking to battle the cold...heres what Im taking, tell me what you think.

When I have hiked in GA in Feb I have used a 15 deg 800 fill Mont Bell and stayed warm. A vote of confidence for that part, but I have never hiked the Smokys in early March and people say it gets way colder up there. Hopefully the down jacket in addition to the bag is enough.

partinj
12-04-2009, 13:15
Hi i start my Thut-Hike on Feb 4 Leaving Washington DC on the
3 get to Gainesville on the 4 to bad can't get Hostel special
hope tp see you on the trail.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome to Whiteblaze

BrianLe
12-04-2009, 13:16
I start at Amicola park on Feb 25th. From interactions on this and another site I've added a bit to my clothing, starting now with a Montbell Alpine lighe down parka (800 fill, 15.6 oz), and a montbell thermawrap vest (6.1 oz). Can layer those, and hike in the vest if it's really cold (also have a 2.7 oz windshirt, can layer those too). Spinnchaps for cold+wet conditions. Capilene 1 longsleeved shirt (5.4 oz), can layer under a typical hiking shirt, and black silk long underwear at 4.2 oz. A polartech "peru" style warm hat (2.7 oz), can layer on a thin balaclava (2.2 oz) --- wear both at night, the balaclava can cover my nose. Polyesther mittens and eVent mitten shells (2.8 oz and 1.2 oz respectively). Earbags --- may send these home (I did on the PCT), but nice if it's windy/cold. Two pair wool socks (3 - 5 oz depending on brand) and I.D. "hot socks" for sleeping (5.0 oz, considering replacing these with actual down booties ... TBD). "Disposeable" poncho to use in camp when my gatewood cape is in tent mode.

Trail runners, and goretex socks to make those a little more pleasant to wear in cold/wet conditions. Minimal gaitors, might mail those home, more about keeping the bottoms of my pants from getting filthy (I sleep in my clothes ...).

20F rated W.M. sleeping bag (850+ fill), and a 6.4 oz Oware light bivy.

Likely that most of us will make some clothing adjustments as we adapt to actual conditions, but it's nice to be in the right ballpark starting out!

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 08:44
Well I am starting Feb 15 as well see you there.

My Bag is a golite Zero degree. Weight 2lbs. 8 oz

I am not sure about a heavy down coat, I will be doing a hundred miles in PA in January and that will help. I did a stretch in NC a couple weeks ago and used two layers and that was it for a week.
Not sure about the rest.

We will see.

Hello all this is my first post on whiteblaze. Ive been gathering info from this site for quite a while now but this is my first forum posting. I will be starting my NOBO thru hike Mon, Feb. 15th. Just wondering if anyone else what thinking of starting that week. I also wanted to ask what is everyone taking to battle the cold...heres what Im taking, tell me what you think.
Jacket-Mountian Hardware Subzero 650 fill down (hopefully i will only be wearing this at the shelters...we shall see)
Base Layer-Although I havnt bought them yet i was looking at ICEBREAKERS or Patagonia. Let me know what you think, im completely open to suggestions!
Gloves/Hat-Marmot Spring Gloves and a Balaclava

I will also be taking a Mountain Hardware Windstopper tech jacket that i can use for layering. Too much, too little, let me know what you think!

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 11:21
Well I am starting Feb 15 as well see you there.

My Bag is a golite Zero degree. Weight 2lbs. 8 oz

I am not sure about a heavy down coat, I will be doing a hundred miles in PA in January and that will help. I did a stretch in NC a couple weeks ago and used two layers and that was it for a week.
Not sure about the rest.

We will see.

Ask to see my down jacket- I think that the plastic bag I keep it in may be heavier than the jacket...

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 18:16
Ask to see my down jacket- I think that the plastic bag I keep it in may be heavier than the jacket...
:cool:

Yea, for sure. I am so paranoid about overpacking. The last couple of days I hiked in my base layer, and just a shell up here, with a hat.
I've been fine, BUT, I am not camping and that makes a huge difference.
I have not got a feel for what I will need at night.

I'd love to see what your packing for that weekend. I am carrying if I was to pack tonight.; (just clothes)

Boots on my feet
Three pair wool socks
I pair long johns wool
I pair convertable pants
1 Capalene base layer
1tight fitting fleece/polyester pullover
1 nylon shell
1 very warm but hideously ugly hat
2 pair gloves. I thin pair for dexterity.

Xtra clothing:
Trashbag/poncho
Down jacket for camp.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 19:43
Not bad- I figure, I'd rather overpack and be warm, than underpack and freeze. You can always send things home (after carrying it a ways).

But this is the exact reason for having at least two more shakedowns (in winter weather). I'll figure things out on the first one, what I do need and all, and make sure they're still figured out on the second one, and shave off the last things I don't need.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 19:46
Besides, I've always been one to take more gear than I need (on purpose). I won't be doing that on my thru (the sections I did before were always from 2 days to 3 weeks, and I always liked having the extra stuff, but for such a long hike, lightness wins out). I've actually been getting quite good at lightening up my pack, but that was with summer/fall/spring gear.

Whatever, I'm rambling again... No more posting about gear until after Christmas for ShLep. Seriously. Then I'll have everything ready, laid out, and pack weight figured out. (Hoping Santa comes through...)