PDA

View Full Version : Corridor K/I-3 Concerns

gardenhead
12-04-2009, 13:57
So some info about this may have already been posted on here, but my searching showed nothing. Anyways, I just got this e-mail so yeah, here it is.

There is a map of the proposed new sections of road on http://www.corridork.org/ (http://www.corridork.org/)

So if you are at all opposed to more mindless destruction of all things natural, send an e-mail.
Thanks

Dear hiker friends and lovers of our mountains,
Your help is needed. Immediately.

Actually, before midnight on Friday, December 4, we need a firestorm of comments written to Mr. Ed Lewis at: [email protected] (http://us.mc559.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected]).

We are seeking comments opposing the building of an intrusive section of four-lane highway through the Nantahala National Forest in Graham County, NC (between Stecoah and Robbinsville).

This road, if built as proposed, will have significant negative impacts on the A.T.
Will you help? Read on....

The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) continues to push to relocate U.S. 74 as a four-lane highway from Andrews through Stecoah, NC. The proposed roadway is commonly referred to as "Corridor K."

The NCDOT insists on a costly, destructive, and unnecessary four-lane road that would cut through steep and scenic mountains. The next ten miles of this road to be built would establish a new route across the Stecoah Valley and Cheoah Mountain. This section is on the fast track to completion.

In his letter to Dr. Gregory J. Thorpe of the NC Department of Transportation dated October 10, 2008, Mr. Morgan Sommerville, Regional Director of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy wrote, "The proposed US 74 Relocation will have significant negative impacts on the A.T. and its users. As detailed in the DSFEIS, there will be significant changes in the viewshed as seen from the A.T., for example from the overlooks on Cheoah Bald and the rock outcrops along the A.T. north of Stecoah Gap, which will greatly diminish the primitive experience the A.T. is intended to provide. There will be significant negative impacts from vastly increased noise associated with construction of the new highway and the increased speed and volume of traffic once the road is complete. There will be direct negative impacts on the A.T. and its users for approximately ten A.T. miles between Swim Bald and Brown Fork Gap."

At the NCDOT’s public hearing in Robbinsville on October 29, 2009, Graham County resident Jim Lowe announced that "the Appalachian Trail Conservancy is in opposition to this extraordinaryily intrusive road." Mr. Lowe is a member of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club which maintains the A.T. in the Park. He said that the proposed road, which includes two long tunnels 500 feet beneath the A.T., is not needed.

Economic development serves as the justification for this project. With a price tag of $378 million (or $38 million per mile), THE COST OF THIS PROJECT CAN NOT BE JUSTIFIED. One can think of better ways to invest in the economic development of Graham County than spending what amounts to $42,000 per Graham County citizen while destroying the mountains and valleys that define this region.

The four lane highway would be exorbitantly expensive in a time when our public agencies should be spending public funds wisely. With the pressing need for exisiting infrastructure repair and maintenance, it is difficult to understand how anyone can try to justify unnecessary and destructive highways.

The proposed road corridor would be massively destructive to the region's valuable natural and historic assets which generate millions of dollars in recreational revenue annually. Not only the Appalachian Trail, but the Benton MacKaye Trail, numerous trout streams and thousands of acres of hunting habitat would be impacted. The surrounding forests, delicately-balanced sanctuaries for threatened plant and animal species, would also be impacted by the environmentally devastating roadway.

Massive construction in geologically unstable formations could cause ongoing water quality and landslide issues.

We need a sensible alternative that addresses the real road issues by improving the existing highways.

Please join with others who love these mountains to protest:
Protest the destruction of our treasured lands.
Protest unnecessary destruction of our NATIONAL forest.
Protest the disgraceful waste of taxpayers' dollars during this historic period of economic decline.
Protest this major departure from common sense.
Protest the building of a four-lane roadway that would be highly destructive to the valuable corridor through which it would intrude.

Before midnight Friday night, December 4, 2009,
email your comments and questions to Mr. Ed Lewis at: [email protected] (http://us.mc559.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected])
Mr. Ed Lewis, NC Department of Transportation
1598 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1598
phone: (919) 431-6585 fax: (919) 431-2002

Please send this on to other hikers and anyone who cares about the future of this national treasure, our mountains. Thank you.

Enough is enough. Our mountains and valleys are irreplaceable.

Sally Lassiter for more information,
Hot Springs, NC visit www.wayssouth.org (http://www.wayssouth.org/)

"Let's find a better way for Corridor K!"

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 14:03
If they can't stop this, can't they at least make it two lanes instead of four? Of course, I'd rather this didn't happen at all. This is insane.

This sounds uneccesary (but I will admit, I've never hiked this exact area.)

mister pooh
12-04-2009, 15:09
If they can't stop this, can't they at least make it two lanes instead of four...but I will admit, I've never hiked this exact area.

ShLep, the proposal is to widen an existing two lane road. In another thread, you were upset because someone did not take your opinion seriously. Perhaps if you offered your opinion less, and stick to topics in which you have experience, people would value your opinions more. Hope you don't take offense.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 16:59
I am sorry about misinterpreting this info- that was my fault. And I usually do stick to things I know- this one peaked my interest, and I wanted to see what it was about.

Besides, the site I read mentioned nothing about an existing road. Guess I was wrong to try and branch out, better stick to the box.

flemdawg1
12-04-2009, 17:22
If you've ever driven from Cherokee, NC to Cleveland, TN, its a complete PITA. Not advocating bulldozing the whole mountains over but...

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 20:38
ShLep, the proposal is to widen an existing two lane road. In another thread, you were upset because someone did not take your opinion seriously. Perhaps if you offered your opinion less, and stick to topics in which you have experience, people would value your opinions more. Hope you don't take offense.

And ya know, the above post says nothing about widening a pre-existing road.

Cabin Fever
12-04-2009, 23:02
If you've ever driven from Cherokee, NC to Cleveland, TN, its a complete PITA. Not advocating bulldozing the whole mountains over but...

Piss poor comment. The same logic could be applied to driving from Gatlinburg to Cherokee or from any mountain community to another.

mister pooh
12-05-2009, 00:41
And ya know, the above post says nothing about widening a pre-existing road.

No, but it took me all of thirty seconds to get on Google Maps and look at the route based on the info from the website in the post. Rather than offering my opinion without any knowledge of the situation, I went and did a little research. I still don't know enough about the project to say whether or not it is appropriate (even though I have first hand knowledge of the area, and lean towards not developing it), but at least I didn't prefer to build a two lane road where one exists.

flemdawg1
12-05-2009, 00:42
Piss poor comment. The same logic could be applied to driving from Gatlinburg to Cherokee or from any mountain community to another.

What's poor about it? Its a giant swath of land area that could benefit from modern highway as opposed to the goat trails they have now.

Ox97GaMe
12-05-2009, 01:41
This is more than just a plan for US74. As the title of the thread eludes to, it is also one of the proposed steps for Interstate 3 that is being proposed between Oak Ridge TN and Savannah GA. That project is on hold, but there is a lot of work going on along US 441 to prep it for 4 lane the whole way. The proposed I-3 corridor would follow much of the current US441, US74, and US129 routes that exist.

As for the reference to Corridor K, this is to replace the original proposal which was to widen the road through the Nantahala Gorge. I dont really see this passing, as the primary reason to widen a road is to decrease traffic time or allow for more/bigger vehicles. The time it would take to drive from Andrews to Robinsville to Stecoah to Bryson City would be almost double what it is to drive the current route today through the gorge.

The SMHC and the ATC are working deligently to minimize the impacts to the AT at the Stecoah Gap crossing should this proposal actually get approved.

Cabin Fever
12-05-2009, 09:00
Its a giant swath of land area...

Exactly. Some people enjoy not being able to hear or see the interstate.

ShelterLeopard
12-05-2009, 18:14
So what exactly happened just after Midnight on December 4th? Results?

Rain Man
12-05-2009, 20:19
What's poor about it? Its a giant swath of land area that could benefit from modern highway as opposed to the goat trails they have now.

Ahhhh... another proponent of paving paradise and putting up a parking lot!

Your post will warm the cockles of many a politically-connected-owner of road builder corporations.

Rain Man

flemdawg1
12-05-2009, 23:20
Ahhhh... another proponent of paving paradise and putting up a parking lot!

Your post will warm the cockles of many a politically-connected-owner of road builder corporations.

Rain Man

No, I just like being able to cover 120 miles in a car in less than 4 hours. Besides I-40, 26, 81 and however many others haven't ruined the trail.

Cabin Fever
12-06-2009, 09:40
No, I just like being able to cover 120 miles in a car in less than 4 hours. Besides I-40, 26, 81 and however many others haven't ruined the trail.

Give and take situation. I will sacrifice a little of my time and a lot of my tax dollars to keep a beautiful stretch of land relatively primitive.

Ox97GaMe
12-07-2009, 23:15
Actually, it takes about the same amount of time to drive from Gatlinburg to Cosby to Waynesville to Cherokee on highways as it does to take the drive over the mountain. It just depends on what you are looking for on your drive. There really isnt a justifiable reason to build an interstate through the middle of the GSMNP (or any other NP).

Cabin Fever
12-08-2009, 10:55
Actually, it takes about the same amount of time to drive from Gatlinburg to Cosby to Waynesville to Cherokee on highways as it does to take the drive over the mountain. It just depends on what you are looking for on your drive. There really isnt a justifiable reason to build an interstate through the middle of the GSMNP (or any other NP).

Or National Forest or anywhere else. We have enough interstates, 4-lane US highways, etc.

flemdawg1
12-08-2009, 11:08
Just noticed, except for Gardenhead, every person in this thread lives in a town that has or is close to an interstate. :rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 11:28
So? Your point being what?

flemdawg1
12-08-2009, 11:38
Perhaps ya'll are being hypocritical, since none of you see it fitting to live these so-called idealic wild settings.

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 11:59
I don't think so. First of all, I LOVE the woods, and I live in a rural area, my family's home has been here since the 1700's, and there was no interstate then. I would personally be happy with a little house on the prarie existense, but that isn't what this is about.

The fact that some of us live near interstates has nothing to do with this project, and I don't know why you would bring it up. We are talking about defending the trail and the wilderness around it, not the fact that someone else has access to a highway. If you want to live near a highway, why don't you?

flemdawg1
12-08-2009, 12:25
But this is about someone's access to a highway, the people that actually live there. Lost in all of this is how the locals feel about it. I don't see the residents griping that the politicians are destroying their woods with this project.

...oops. I stand corrected:
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/11_09/11_04_09/fr_residents_value.html

Pedaling Fool
12-08-2009, 12:36
Hikers don't want anymore roads except for the ones that get them to town quicker and those that facilitate their slackpacking agenda. Other than that roads and cars are evil:D

Oh...and allows access for people to set up "trail magic":eek:

Cabin Fever
12-08-2009, 13:33
The bottom line is that as time progresses, people spread and more roads will be 'needed'. This will continue indefinitely. The best thing we can do is to manage it.

I, personally, don't see the economic need to make a road from one mountain town to another four lanes. The whole I-3 project seems amiss to me. Why do we need an interstate from Savannah to Knoxville that cuts through upstate SC, north GA, western NC and east TN?

Tipi Walter
12-08-2009, 14:32
What you love will be destroyed. It's called Syphilization. I like this Ed Abbey quote: "Why is it that the destruction of something created by humans is called vandalism, yet the destruction of something created by God is called development?"

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 14:35
Because humans think they and their creations are the only things in this world that matter, Mr. Abbey.

(I like that quote)

buff_jeff
12-08-2009, 15:48
I like the quote, too...unfortunately, we're all guilty of it, including Edward Abbey.

daddytwosticks
12-08-2009, 17:15
This "transplanted" local does not want to see this project started...

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 17:20
I like the quote, too...unfortunately, we're all guilty of it, including Edward Abbey.

True. I wish we weren't.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2009, 18:49
What you love will be destroyed. It's called Syphilization. I like this Ed Abbey quote: "Why is it that the destruction of something created by humans is called vandalism, yet the destruction of something created by God is called development?"

If I remeber my Genises correctly, God did tell Adam and Eve to go forth and multiply, take dominance over the land, sea, air and all that it contains. Apparently, he didn't realise at the time how effective we'd become at doing exactly that. :rolleyes:

cls
12-08-2009, 22:07
Why I -3? I oppose I-3 but here is what proponents say. Savannah is a major port but currently does not have good road access for cargo going to the midwest. You can go north on I95 to I26 to I40. However as you may have heard I40 has been closed just east of the TN/NC state line both ways since Oct.25 due to a rock slide and may not open for several more months.(Google I40 rockslide for pictures.) The official detour is well over 100 miles. And this is not the first time. I believe I40 was closed back in 1997 for several months for the same reason. Or you can take I16 to I75, but that takes you through Atlanta which frequently is about as bad as a rock slide. The proposed I3 route goes through relativly undeveloped areas resulting in cheap land acquisition and not much traffic, at least initially.

Rain Man
12-08-2009, 23:44
If I remeber my Genises correctly, God did tell Adam and Eve to go forth and multiply, take dominance over the land, sea, air and all that it contains. Apparently, he didn't realise at the time how effective we'd become at doing exactly that. :rolleyes:

In the allegory, God drove Adam and Eve out and cursed them.

Now, God did tell Noah to replenish the earth, after the deluge. Instead, mankind has acted like a virus and has gone way beyond replenishing the earth to what it was before the flood.

On the other hand, God did BLESS the ANIMALS, "saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth." Something man is intent on putting a stop to, in violation of God's stated will, killing entire species willy-nilly.

Rain:sunMan

Tipi Walter
12-09-2009, 08:53

Now, God did tell Noah to replenish the earth, after the deluge. Instead, mankind has acted like a virus and has gone way beyond replenishing the earth to what it was before the flood.

On the other hand, God did BLESS the ANIMALS, "saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth." Something man is intent on putting a stop to, in violation of God's stated will, killing entire species willy-nilly.

I like the way your peanut sized brain thinks. I've lately been calling man the solar system's killer virus, and you don't need a Bible to figure this one out, yea or nay.

Cabin Fever
12-09-2009, 10:53
I like the way your peanut sized brain thinks. I've lately been calling man the solar system's killer virus, and you don't need a Bible to figure this one out, yea or nay.

Keep the religion off WB. It will only start an argument which will kill the thread all together.

ShelterLeopard
12-09-2009, 12:16
Good call Fever. Back to Cooridor K, did anything actually happen yet? It seemed like there was a deadline at midnight on Friday, and Gardenhead hasn't been posting back.

Rain Man
12-09-2009, 12:39
Good call Fever.

Actually, it was a very bad call. Why complain to TW? He's about the third one down the chain. Any complaint or admonition should go to whoever brought up religion in the first place. If not, then once that is allowed to stand, then anyone and everyone is free to respond. Don't blame the victims, in other words. Blame the perp, for God's sake. Pun intended!

I'm very much in favor of policing the threads. I'm very opposed to rewarding those who chomp the first bite of the apple (another pun?!) and griping at those who first chose restraint.

Tipi Walter
12-09-2009, 12:39

Keep the religion off WB. It will only start an argument which will kill the thread all together.

Uh, now you say it after two earlier posts? Little late don't you think?

ShelterLeopard
12-09-2009, 13:03
Actually, it was a very bad call. Why complain to TW? He's about the third one down the chain. Any complaint or admonition should go to whoever brought up religion in the first place. If not, then once that is allowed to stand, then anyone and everyone is free to respond. Don't blame the victims, in other words. Blame the perp, for God's sake. Pun intended!

I'm very much in favor of policing the threads. I'm very opposed to rewarding those who chomp the first bite of the apple (another pun?!) and griping at those who first chose restraint.

He said keep away from religion, I said good. I didn't mean any one person should be "admonished" I meant that we should all stay away from religion, or this thread will get out of hand and off topic very fast.

flemdawg1
12-09-2009, 13:38
I blame Abbey. ;-)

Cabin Fever
12-09-2009, 13:49
Uh, now you say it after two earlier posts? Little late don't you think?

Some of us don't live on here.

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2009, 15:12
Doesn't matter if this passes or not, there will be others and many will pass.

I don't want anymore roads; I want more wilderness. I even want the cougar to come back to the east coast, but reality has other plans.

The fact is our population is exploding and not because we have a high birth rate, the U.S. is the number one destination for all immigrants around the world and to support that explosion we need roads. Many large cities are death traps, because of no real way to evacuate people in a timely manner. And then there’s the traffic issue; we waste about 79 million hours and 69 million gallons of fuel because of traffic. All these reasons and more will result in many more road crossings while hiking the AT. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/09/national/main693952.shtml

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2009, 19:50
... And then there’s the traffic issue; we waste about 79 million hours and 69 million gallons of fuel because of traffic. All these reasons and more will result in many more road crossings while hiking the AT. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/09/national/main693952.shtml
I screwed up the traffic numbers in the above post; the above numbers are a comparison between 2003 and 2002.

These are the actual numbers from the above article:

"Overall in 2003, there were 3.7 billion hours of travel delay and 2.3 billion gallons of wasted fuel for a total cost of more than $63 billion."

Fuel prices affect (restrict) our road travel, but what happens when new technology becomes available...