PDA

View Full Version : Tarp set-up configuations

toenail
12-04-2009, 16:25
Hi everybody, we have decided to leave our tent behind next spring,and instead take a tarp.It's a 10x12 silicone impregnated nylon with grommets every 2 1/2 feet. I know that there are dozens of ways to set-up a tarp. Any ideas, thoughts, websites, ect. would be greatly appreciated.

mister krabs
12-04-2009, 16:27
variations on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk) are my favorite. I usually end up with an elongated hexagon with one side open. I support the back as well, usually with a tieout over a stick.

Manwich
12-04-2009, 16:57
variations on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk) are my favorite. I usually end up with an elongated hexagon with one side open. I support the back as well, usually with a tieout over a stick.

Holy Crap! How much did I pay for my SMD Lunar Solo!?!

russb
12-04-2009, 17:07
Hi everybody, we have decided to leave our tent behind next spring,and instead take a tarp.It's a 10x12 silicone impregnated nylon with grommets every 2 1/2 feet. I know that there are dozens of ways to set-up a tarp. Any ideas, thoughts, websites, ect. would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

Miner
12-04-2009, 20:15
http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

toenail
12-10-2009, 10:32
Miner thanks for the help, a picture IS worth a thousand words! My tarp has arrived , but my wife says i cant open it till christmas.

Reid
12-10-2009, 11:32
Miner thanks for the help, a picture IS worth a thousand words! My tarp has arrived , but my wife says i cant open it till christmas.

You'd have to be real careful about bringing equipment into my house and trying to tell me not to mess with it.

pyroman53
12-11-2009, 12:18
I have a 10x12 tarp. Its huge and handles 2 people with room to spare. I do an a-frame setup almost all the time, and have for 35 years of tarping. Run a nylon parachute cord between two trees. Pull it tight, and then pull it tighter. The tighter it is, the better your tarp will set up, and shed wind. Put the tarp, with the mid seam running the same way as the line. This means my tarp will be 12 feet long.Tie about 3 feet of light cord (lighter than parachute cord if you can) at each grommet. Use a taughtline hitch to attach to the stakes. In good weather (no wind), I set the ridgeline about kneck high. Lower if I think we'll have storms with wind. This gives me about a foot of space between the sides of the tarp and the ground, allowing me to see out while in bed (the best part of tarping). If wind does come, you can drop one or both sides, either by moving stakes and shortening the sie lines, or by staking the tarp directly to the ground. I often do some different things with one or both ends of the tarp to modify the openings somewhat, but it's difficult to describe. Play around with that. This tarp is huge and you have some room to play with. I'd actually prefer a 10x10, not for the weight but for the smaller footprint. An 8x10 works, but requires more care in site location. Lots of folks talk of using bivies and other mean to stay dry under small tarps, but I've never had a problem with the larger versions.

If you only have one good tree, a hiking pole can work for the other, but its tough to get a great pitch. You can use two poles, but now you're really going to struggle to get the ridgeline taught enough. It can be done, but this would be my last option.

I also use some cord at the grommets along the ridgeline to gently pull the tarp towards the trees or poles. This keeps it a little more taught, but its not required. Note: I don't put the poles directly into the grommets, and guy from there. I use the ridgeline and drape the tarp over that.

The ABSOLUTE key to tarp setup is location. If rain flows off the tarp, onto ground that is sloped such that it then runs under the tarp, you are screwed, especially if camping in areas that have seen heavy use causing the ground to shed rain more than absorb it. Thus, the ideal location is a slight uniform slope that runs parallel with your ridgeline. Since you don't want your head on the low side, take this in consideration as well. A slight crown is really nice but that's alot to ask for. This setup allows the rain to run off the tarp and simply run downhill, parallel to your sleeping area. Silnylon will stretch at night, especially in rain, so make suer you tighten the lines before bed.

mbrameld
12-11-2009, 15:26
One tip to add to what pyroman said, if you attack the guylines with the tautline on the tarp end of the guyline and a bowline or any other static knot to the stake you can then tighten the guylines by reaching out from under the tarp. As he said, silnylon does droop a little when it gets wet and it's nice to be able to tighten it up without getting out in the rain.

For the two ridgeline grommets on each end I use a small loop of cord tied to the ridgeline with a prussic knot. That lets you get the tarp nice and tight along the ridgeline.

That being said, I almost exclusively use a half-pyramid anymore. I have an 8x10 tarp and here's how I do it. I stake both corners of the long side right to the ground. Then I use a trekking pole with a guy line to prop up center of the other long side. Then depending on the weather I either stake the last two corners to the ground or guy them out for more ventilation. It sets up very quick, gives me tons of room and great weather protection.

mbrameld
12-11-2009, 15:27
Haha, you should attach your guylines, not attack them.

pyroman53
12-11-2009, 16:01
I have an 8x10 tarp and here's how I do it. I stake both corners of the long side right to the ground. Then I use a trekking pole with a guy line to prop up center of the other long side. Then depending on the weather I either stake the last two corners to the ground or guy them out for more ventilation. It sets up very quick, gives me tons of room and great weather protection.

I like this. Finding two trees in the right spot can be tough. This is much more flexible. How do you attach(K) the guyline to the trekking pole and grommet?

mbrameld
12-11-2009, 16:11
I like this. Finding two trees in the right spot can be tough. This is much more flexible. How do you attach(K) the guyline to the trekking pole and grommet?

Depending on your tarp and pole, you can do it a few ways. I personally put the tip of the pole in the grommet and use a tautline hitch on the pole between the tip and the basket. If your tarp has a fabric loop pullout instead of a grommet you can just put that over the tip of the pole and also tie your guy line to it. A third way would be to tie the guy line to the tarp grommet or pullout and use a clove hitch knot to attach to the pole and then on to the stake.

pyroman53
12-11-2009, 17:09
A third way would be to tie the guy line to the tarp grommet or pullout and use a clove hitch knot to attach to the pole and then on to the stake.

This is what I was thinking.

One tip to add, if you attach the guylines with the tautline on the tarp end of the guyline and a bowline or any other static knot to the stake you can then tighten the guylines by reaching out from under the tarp.

I like this...great idea. Thanks!

Feral Bill
12-11-2009, 17:34
One corner up (pole or tree), three corners down. Works like a charm.

tammons
12-11-2009, 19:58
My favorite tarp video.

tammons
12-11-2009, 19:58
Opps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJHuWlEAtk&NR=1

Daydream Believer
12-11-2009, 21:36
Do you all in the tarps have much trouble with mosquitos and such? I noticed that they have no mesh or netting like many of the tents do. It sure does look a lot lighter weight than a tent!

bigcranky
12-11-2009, 22:00
Do you all in the tarps have much trouble with mosquitos and such? I noticed that they have no mesh or netting like many of the tents do. It sure does look a lot lighter weight than a tent!

Well, yeah. When the bugs are bad, a tarp doesn't offer much protection. I like my mesh bivy, but you can buy or make a mesh inner tent, etc. Or a little DEET can work fine.

Daydream Believer
12-11-2009, 22:28
Thanks...I did wonder about that. I suspect you could get some mosquito net and use that too...and I'd guess it would be light. We'd love to find ways to trim some weight and we are now carrying a tarp (hubs and I) as well as a tent. Long story but we like to camp away from the shelters and being caught in a downpour with no where to pack tent and equipment up and stay dry sucks. We are fast learners! No more of that!

I hate DEET...I will use it when I have to or when I'm desperate. I try to use Skin So Soft but that does not work on the vicious tiger mosquitoes we have down here in the lowland swamps.

I loved the videos! Cool to think when the bugs are not bad, we can use the tarp instead of packing a tent. Thanks!

XCskiNYC
12-12-2009, 00:17
There's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

Tinker
12-12-2009, 08:44

The best setup is over a hammock.
However, for two people it isn't practical.
If you hadn't already gotten your tarp I would recommend this: http://www.appytrails.com/

Daydream Believer
12-12-2009, 10:48
Here's a really good video. This looks like a great configuration for a rainy camp even if you are tenting. You can use this for cooking under and packing up gear. Great idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo&feature=related