PDA

View Full Version : No response from manufacture for pack Repair

Longbow
12-04-2009, 17:27
So my brand new pack was attacked by mice on the AT. Much of the damage is superficial, but one of the external pockets is unusable. My thought was to contact the manufacture to either repair the pack or send me a new pocket that I could take to someone to have sewn on. The other option would be to purchase the entire main bag, and be able to reuse the frame, belt, straps, ect, which would certainly be less the the cost of a new pack. The problem is the manufacturer has not returned any of my emails and does not answer there phone. Has anyone tried to get replacement parts for packs. I left out the manufacture as I am not ready to throw them under the bus, but If I don't here back from them My attitude will certainly sour.

Manwich
12-04-2009, 17:32
Which manufacturer?

Pacific Tortuga
12-04-2009, 17:38
Which manufacturer?

I'm sure Kelty has cut back on customer service rep,s too, keep trying but I bet they say to buy a repair patch and do it yourself.

Highstepper
12-04-2009, 19:21
I dealt with Kelty customer service concerning a warranty issue on a pack earlier this year. Within 10 days I had received a replacement pack which included shipping the old pack to them first. It did, however, take about 2 days for them to respond to my initial email.

Pacific Tortuga
12-04-2009, 19:26
I dealt with Kelty customer service concerning a warranty issue on a pack earlier this year. Within 10 days I had received a replacement pack which included shipping the old pack to them first. It did, however, take about 2 days for them to respond to my initial email.

Most gear company's kick down with replacements but rarely for natural/nature malfunctions like from bears and mice, but you may get lucky.

Caveman of Ohio
12-04-2009, 20:14
I beat up my Osprey after doing the trail and sent it in for repairs. I told em that it had been on a six month hike and they fixed it for no charge. They ended up replacing the two pockets and put in a new stay .

Shutterbug
12-04-2009, 22:03
So my brand new pack was attacked by mice on the AT. Much of the damage is superficial, but one of the external pockets is unusable. My thought was to contact the manufacture to either repair the pack or send me a new pocket that I could take to someone to have sewn on. The other option would be to purchase the entire main bag, and be able to reuse the frame, belt, straps, ect, which would certainly be less the the cost of a new pack. The problem is the manufacturer has not returned any of my emails and does not answer there phone. Has anyone tried to get replacement parts for packs. I left out the manufacture as I am not ready to throw them under the bus, but If I don't here back from them My attitude will certainly sour.

You seem to assume that the company who's name is on the pack will have parts of packs. There is about a 90% probability that your pack was actually made by an company located somewhere across the Pacific Ocean. The company that has branded it and sold it in the U.S. isn't likely to have parts of packs.

toegem
12-05-2009, 10:06
I can't speak highly enough of Kelty, I sent a tent body and fly they do not manufacture anymore back due to a delamination problem, BTW the tent was probably seven years old.Two months went by without hearing a thing from them then one day on my door step there sat a new tent nat no charge.
Be patient, there is probably a reason that they have not gotten back to you.

Hooch
12-05-2009, 10:15
That'll teach y'all to buy from the conglomerates. :rolleyes: If you'd bought cottage gear, you probably would have had an answer to your e-mail the same day and the problem rectified in less than a week. Of course, if you'd bought cottage gear to begin with, you probably wouldn't have had the problem in the first place. :D

Pedaling Fool
12-05-2009, 10:26
All the packs I've ever owned, most of my tents and a lot of other things have been Kelty. I've never had a problem dealing with Kelty (still not sure if that's the company the OP is talking about).

I did have some mice eat thru my pack, but I would never call a company on that. How is that their fault? I just fixed it myself. I also poked a hole in my platypus bladder, again I see it as an abuse to expect a company to fix something that was not their fault. I fixed that bladder with a tent repair kit and still using it today.

Silly american consumers.

LIhikers
12-05-2009, 19:40
...... I see it as an abuse to expect a company to fix something that was not their fault. ......

John, the OP didn't say they were expecting the repair, or parts, for free. Maybe the thinking was that noone can repair a product better than the manufacurer and certainly noone can supply original parts other than the manufacturer. Of course, I don't know if that's what the OP was thinking, or not.

TOW
12-05-2009, 21:04
maybe they are out hiking?

Doooglas
12-06-2009, 02:02
I can't speak highly enough of Kelty, I sent a tent body and fly they do not manufacture anymore back due to a delamination problem, BTW the tent was probably seven years old.Two months went by without hearing a thing from them then one day on my door step there sat a new tent nat no charge.
Be patient, there is probably a reason that they have not gotten back to you.
If in fact, the company is Kelty, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Nuff said.

Longbow
12-06-2009, 10:41
Well the pack is a ketly Trekker 3950 I purchased in Oct 2009. I made it very clear in my emails to ketly that I was not after warranty repair, and would expect to pay for any repairs or replacement parts. regardless of were the pack was made I would expect any reputable company to stock replacement parts. Bottom line is I will give them more time but I do hope to hear from them soon.

Longbow
12-06-2009, 10:43
Kelty Ketly. It all looks the same to me.