PDA

View Full Version : Keen Voyageur, Any Experiences?

Tractor
12-04-2009, 20:22
Checking to see if any of you would like to share any experience with the Keen Voyageur hiking shoes? I tried a pair on today, along with a Merrell, Oboz and Vasque of similar style and at least liked them while walking about with a sandbag loaded pack in the shop. None of these products look to be a long laster but if I could get a good 500 miles out of them AND they were comfy I would like it. Also interested in traction compared to your previous footwear? Thanks Muchly.

sasquatch2014
12-04-2009, 21:25
I am on my second pair of Keens and you are correct that they do not last too much more than 500 miles, at least not the way I wear them. Traction is not too bad but not real aggressive in mud but good on wet rock. My second pair i just sent back to keen as several of the eyelets tore out of the shoes. I would not be messing with them if they didn't feel so comfortable.

Chaco Taco
12-04-2009, 22:06
Big fan of Keens. I have used the Targhee's and Voyager Mids and love them both. Own a pair of Merrell's now, Moab GTX, also a great shoe. No matter what you are getting a great shoe from either. I do enjoy the GTX in winter and the vibe souls. Love both! Although in my experience, I had a pair of Merrells from Daleville Va that made it to Manchester Center, VT.

Dogwood
12-05-2009, 03:04
I'm with Chaco Taco. I like the way Keens fit MY FEET. I'm a fan of Keen shoes and sandals. I also have the Targhee II WP low cuts and Voyaguer non-WP mid cuts, as well as two sandal models.

The things I like the most about Keen shoes is the extra wide toe box, decent durability(I rarely get much more than 800 or so miles out of any of my light hiking/trail runner type shoes and that includes shoes like Targhees and Voyaguers), and all around protection they provide in the two models listed above. I also like the protective toe bumpers and higher arch support on the sandal models. I often do UL backpacking with just the sandals because of the good protection and support they provide in a sandal. On wet rocky in and out of stream type hikes the sandals fit the bill for me. To start, I have really wide fore feet and they only get wider the longer I get into my hikes as my feet swell. They are not the lightest. There are plenty of other lighter wt trail runners, other than the two shoe models listed above, that I would use on more maintained trails like the AT but when hiking in snow or sharp rocky talus and scree alpine situations I really like what they offer. I used Targhees and Voyaguers succesfully on the Sierra High Route, in Olympic NP in the snow, Redwood NP, and some sections of the Hayduke Trail this yr. Initially, I was turned off by their clunky aesthetics that make the shoes heavier looking than they actually are, but with after market Sole Orthotics the comfort, support, and protection have put that thought to rest.

With my first pair of Targhees I did notice some exposed to abrasion loose stitching on top of the tongue where it was gusseted to the upper, but I quickly exchanged them for another new pair at REI. No problema since! After about 300 alpine miles, I also had some delamination on the Voyaguers where the two different colored soles met each other. Easily self repaired with a couple dabs of Shoe Goo. No problema since! I have heard of this delamination ocurring on other Voyaguers though.

booped
12-08-2009, 00:31
I think the Oboz should last that many miles. I love my Firebrand -- it's cold and icy here and i'm really impressed with the traction. plus no visible sign of wear so far for a year. Really good cushioned feel, too.

drifters quest
12-08-2009, 01:06
I tried on the keen voyagers the other day and they felt AMAZING! Felt like my feet had died and gone to heaven :) I tried on a few other brands-hated the way the Asolo fit. I have high arches and am wide at the toe. I wanted the waterproof ones though and they didnt have them in stock so when I go to Seattle i'll be looking for them. Also would like to try on the Merrel Moabs, but I think i'll be getting the keens

Longbow
12-08-2009, 10:14
I just ordered a pair of Keen Oregons their hiking boot. I wanted a full boot for winter hiking, as my pack is a little heavier and need the extra support, and the extra height will keep snow out. I wear a low hiking shoe now and they are great.

Chaco Taco
12-08-2009, 18:59
I tried on the keen voyagers the other day and they felt AMAZING! Felt like my feet had died and gone to heaven :) I tried on a few other brands-hated the way the Asolo fit. I have high arches and am wide at the toe. I wanted the waterproof ones though and they didnt have them in stock so when I go to Seattle i'll be looking for them. Also would like to try on the Merrel Moabs, but I think i'll be getting the keens

I have both the Keens and Merrell's. You cant go wrong with either. The Keens are nice with the wide toe as are the Merrell's. Love em both

sasquatch2014
12-08-2009, 20:56
Well what I thought was going to be a repair by Keen turned out to be a replacement. With this they asked the local EMS to stress to me that these were not designed to be used as a backpacking boot. I guess they designed these to only be used to walk my dog a couple of miles a night w/o a pack. Still love the feel of these boots.

jjohn06
12-09-2009, 18:16
One thing not mentioned is the fact that the Keens are incredibly stiff. I personally find that Keens fit perfectly, but once I hit the trail, they are like bricks on my feet that get hammered into the ground. For me I need a very soft/flexible shoe.

Shoes are very specific to the person. The only advice I can offer is to have an open mind about shoes, and be willing to switch if you encounter problems.

Jester2000
12-09-2009, 20:54
Bits and pieces started falling off my Voyagers for the first 2 or 3 days in the Sierra, which made me worry, but then they settled down and lasted about 600 miles.

A few years ago Keen was having problems with delamination, but I understand they've worked that out.

jbrecon2
12-09-2009, 21:21
I've had the Keen Voyagers since september. They feel absolutely amazing on my feet, and i have never once had any hot spots. however, the sole started is peeling off in a couple of places and the fabric behind my heel is torn. i have hiked a total of 36 miles on them, and I wear them to work as an ICU nurse all the time. I bought them at REI, and didnt keep a box or receipt. However I am a member, can I still retui\rn or exchange them or lldo i have to deal ldirectly with keen?

Jester2000
12-09-2009, 21:26
I've had the Keen Voyagers since september. They feel absolutely amazing on my feet, and i have never once had any hot spots. however, the sole started is peeling off in a couple of places and the fabric behind my heel is torn. i have hiked a total of 36 miles on them, and I wear them to work as an ICU nurse all the time. I bought them at REI, and didnt keep a box or receipt. However I am a member, can I still retui\rn or exchange them or lldo i have to deal ldirectly with keen?

If I were you I'd contact Keen. This sounds like the delamination problem I wrote about, and it might be that the REI you shop at has some old pairs. Rather than exchange them for a pair that might potentially have the same problem, I'd send them back to Keen.

Kevin A. Boyce
12-09-2009, 22:17
I have had my Voyageurs for almost a year with lots of miles on them... They are not waterproof remember. If you are looking for something a little more durable, take a look at the Keen Oregon PCT.

They also are sized about a half size smaller too, I wear a 10.5 in my other Keens; 4 different models, but the V's I wear an 11.