PDA

View Full Version : Sock liners

Reid
12-05-2009, 00:45
I picked up a pair and tried them for the first time today while doing some trail maintenance. It was cold outside, at least to me. They made my feet feel a bit pinched but they did keep my feet noticably warmer, but that's not what I was buying them for. They were coolmax wigwam's and I wore them under a pair of smartwool PHD's. The PHD's take forever to dry. What are the real benefits for wearing them and is it neccessarily for everyone or is it a preference thing? Are there other types or better kinds to get? Pro's and cons? Just wondering what the WB's thought.......

Trailweaver
12-05-2009, 01:00
I wear a pair of thinner liner socks (nylon, I think?) under Smartwool socks. The wicking keeps your feet dry and (supposedly) blister free. Must work. . . I've never had a blister, even with new boots, even with long miles. My feet just feel good with these socks, and I'm never changing it.

WinterWarlock
12-05-2009, 07:14
Besides the wicking Trailweaver mentions, the idea is that IF there is any rubbing done by your socks, they rub and slide against each other instead of against your foot - that helps prevent the blisters.

Reid
12-05-2009, 07:44
Oddly enough though they were tight so that my toenail was almost pushing into my skin and irratating me. The WB article somewhere says they are basically dress socks, does anyone know the truth to that and whether or not plain old dress socks do the trick rather than specificly made ones?

mudhead
12-05-2009, 08:10
http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search.aspx?type=sockfinder&height=&weight=&padding=&content=&temperature=&activity=&feature=&size=&audience=&stylenumber=2115

I have been using these. For me to spend $12 on a liner...

I have a wad of Navy, they last!

You will have to find what works for you.

OhCanada
12-06-2009, 03:50
They are not dress socks but they are like dress socks in that they are very thin. Unlike dress socks, they are not meant to be worn alone. Most liner socks I find are Polypro material but you could try nylon dress socks first to see how well you like the two sock system.

Tinker
12-07-2009, 00:32
I picked up a pair and tried them for the first time today while doing some trail maintenance. It was cold outside, at least to me. They made my feet feel a bit pinched but they did keep my feet noticably warmer, but that's not what I was buying them for. They were coolmax wigwam's and I wore them under a pair of smartwool PHD's. The PHD's take forever to dry. What are the real benefits for wearing them and is it neccessarily for everyone or is it a preference thing? Are there other types or better kinds to get? Pro's and cons? Just wondering what the WB's thought.......
Liners should not be necessary when wearing Smartwool socks. Smartwools are soft inside and dissipate friction nicely (if your shoes or boots fit properly). Liners became popular back when the typical hiking sock was thick, scratchy coarse wool in a loose weave which was warm but scratchy. Some people still use liners and won't hike without them.

Powell19
12-07-2009, 02:26
I always wear liners when I hike. Nylon liners under a good pair of poly or wool socks work best for me. I like 'em because they reduce friction.

daddytwosticks
12-07-2009, 08:30
I sometimes wear TWO sets of thin liners under my lightweight Merrell hiking footwear. Very comfortable and cooler in warmer weather. Just goes to show you, sometimes you gotta experiment to find what works best for you. :)

Cookerhiker
12-07-2009, 08:48
Liners should not be necessary when wearing Smartwool socks. Smartwools are soft inside and dissipate friction nicely (if your shoes or boots fit properly). Liners became popular back when the typical hiking sock was thick, scratchy coarse wool in a loose weave which was warm but scratchy. Some people still use liners and won't hike without them.

Your observation matches my experience. I wore liners under SmartWool socks for several years but after jettisoning them on my last few hikes, I've decided I don't need them any more. One less piece of clothing to keep clean (and with my "aromatic" feet, that's a tall order).

I find that the key in addition to properly-fitted boots is to monitor your feet as you're hiking, make sure your socks fit snugly without rubbing, and take your boots off at least once in the middle of the day to dry out your feet and air out your socks.

makoboy
12-07-2009, 09:19
I always was told that the idea of liners was so that the liner would stick to your foot and the sock would stick to the boot and the two would rub against each other, rather than the sock rubbing on your skin directly. Personal feeling on this is that it is unnecessary with properly fitted boots.

On the other hand I always wear liners skiing or snowboarding for their wicking properties. I can sweat through a pair of ski boot liners on 10*F conditions and still not have cold feet. The days I forget the liners at home my toes freeze.

Peaks
12-07-2009, 09:45
Well, in theory, liners reduce blisters, as others have posted. But others say that a liner is not needed with a good hiking sock, (and there are several brands including Smartwool). So, appears that like everything else, there are personal choices to be made.

If someone asks me for advice on liners, I'd reply that they certainly can't hurt, and might help.

WinterWarlock
12-07-2009, 09:49
Someone above mentioned the whole sweaty/stinky sock issue...I will say that with liners, they take most of the abuse, and since they're generally thinner, are easier to clean and dry than wool socks.

buz
12-07-2009, 09:51
Well I have always been a thin polypro liner guy, and wool sock combo. Never had blisters, so I just stick with what works. Xmas present was nice set of smartwools last year, I just wear them with the liners like usual. But now I might try without, given the above. Old dog new tricks maybe. I am sweaty feet guy, and love the two sock combo thou.

Hoop Time
12-07-2009, 10:44
I never even heard of liners before discovering WB, and have not had blister problems wearing smart wool socks. They sound unnecc. to me in most conditions, but the wicking/warmth concept in cold weather makes some sense, even though wool retains its warming ability when wet.

brooklynkayak
12-07-2009, 10:49
I always was told that the idea of liners was so that the liner would stick to your foot and the sock would stick to the boot and the two would rub against each other, rather than the sock rubbing on your skin directly.

Yes , The liner may not be necessary if everything fits right, The liner sock does reduce any friction that could turn up if you realize miles from town that there is something not quite right with the fit.

I use the thinnest cheapest nylon sock I can find and notice right away how the merino wool socks slip against the nylon socks much more than against your damp hot feet.

The liner is added insurance against any chance of blisters.