PDA

View Full Version : Can't Go

squeezebox
12-05-2009, 10:45
Something just shot a big hole in my AT plans. My immediate question is I just ordered a full set of maps and guide books. I could just not accept the UPS delivery, they would be sent back, no additional fee. and I ask for a refund. What should I do with the maps and books?
A 2011 hike is seriously possible, a section hike this year is not. I got $100 off the reg price of a REI down bag so I"ll probably keep it. I can do some weekend hikes here in Missouri so I'll probably get some other equipment that I don't have yet.
Sad Times!
P.S. to paraphrase what many have said about many different things.
Don't fight the hike let it happen.

johnnybgood
12-05-2009, 11:08
If the situation doesn't involve the need of monetary funds then I'd keep the maps and guidebooks for a thru hike in 2011.
You can always add post-it notes to the pages if something has changed since the printed 2010 edition came out.

Better to keep your gear , especially if there's a real probability that you will use it wheather it be a thru or section hiking in the future.

The trail isn't going anywhere . Hike it when you are able and the circumstances are right.

Maddog
12-05-2009, 11:16
sorry to hear about your hike! good luck in 2011! :)

ShelterLeopard
12-05-2009, 14:08
BUMMER!!! That's too bad. At least you'll be able to go next year though. I hope whatever happened or went wrong goes right or whatnot. Good luck.

DapperD
12-05-2009, 21:06
Something just shot a big hole in my AT plans. My immediate question is I just ordered a full set of maps and guide books. I could just not accept the UPS delivery, they would be sent back, no additional fee. and I ask for a refund. What should I do with the maps and books?
A 2011 hike is seriously possible, a section hike this year is not. I got $100 off the reg price of a REI down bag so I"ll probably keep it. I can do some weekend hikes here in Missouri so I'll probably get some other equipment that I don't have yet.
Sad Times!
P.S. to paraphrase what many have said about many different things.
Don't fight the hike let it happen.Regarding the Thru-Hike you had planned, understand that this type of thing happens to many people every year. Many are forced to postpone their hikes due to all sorts of reasons. As far as the maps and guide books, I would just keep them, they will still be fine to work years from now. They might not be current, but they will still hold valuable information that you will still be able to use. Then just buy a new Thru-Hikers Handbook to compliment. If you change your mind and feel you need to have the newest maps for safety,etc... then just sell the old ones here for the best possible price and use that money towards the new ones.

Blissful
12-05-2009, 21:41
Keep your gear and maps and go when you can.

Erin
12-05-2009, 22:20
Bryce, I am very sorry to hear that you can't go. Hang on to your stuff. The trail changes, but not that much. Also, I know there is zero in Missouri on the AT and you can sell that material in your area if you need to thru REI bulletin board or the internet or an ad in Riverfront Times. Good luck!

ShelterLeopard
12-05-2009, 22:51
And maybe, someday you'll just say, "ya' know, I want to hike the trail. Now." And you'll get all your gear in your pack and get to the airport and buy a ticket and be ready to go.

Doctari
12-05-2009, 23:09
My first guide is a 1989 version of Wingfoot's book, some of the info is out dated (there are more / different services now, plus some re-routes) But I used it to section hike until 2007 without mishap.
So, I would keep the maps & stuff, & every now & then pull them out & plan for next year.