PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Moment vs BA Fly Creek UL1

XCskiNYC
12-05-2009, 17:45
If you are not familiar with the Moment (it's a very recent model and shipping in limited quantities), then feel free to compare the Scarp, Rainbow, or even Contrail.

The Fly Creek is on sale now 20% off at EMS until 08 December 09 but it's still a little more expensive than the Moment ($215). The tent might get marked down lower though during the off-season in the NE.

skinewmexico
12-05-2009, 19:51
I have a Moment, haven't gotten to use it yet. Cool tent.

tuswm
12-05-2009, 21:53
I have an almost identical tent to the fly creek. Im small 5'8" its way cramped. you can not sleep on your side at all. if you curl up in the fetal position your bum is resting against one side and the knees are against the other side. you can put a pack in the vestibule but you need to move it to get in and out. Also when the wind direction changes it is not good when the wind comes in from the side. But being so thin is a double edged sword. Thin small tents are warm in cold weather since you don't have much volume to heat up. I have not seen either of these tents in real life but it looks like there is more room to move around in and sleep on your side easier. But personally i need a free standing tent which means carrying an extra pole for the TT moment. but you might also want to at least consider the rainbow similar price and weight freestanding if you use hiking poles and large enough if you meet a friend. But everyone has different needs. good luck. My GF just invested in our first TT the Double rainbow. in some ways its not as great as I had imagined. The ventilation is great but in wind storms its hard to seal the dust out. But in some ways it was better then I had imagined. Its all one piece so assembly and disassembly is much easier. Also I am not big 5"8"" and my GF and I can put one pack at our head and one at our feet and still have room. the TT all seam to be on the larger side and pack up small. But I can not comment about TT and bad storms but other will.

YMMV

Tagless
12-05-2009, 22:24
I recently got a Tarptent Moment and used it during a weekend overnight. It's very well designed, offering plenty of extra inside head or foot room (I'm 6'1") and side room. The vestibule, which zips shut, can easily protect my backpack and other gear from the elements without blocking the entrance.

The only other tent mentioned, that I have experience with, is the Tarptent Rainbow. That is a wonderful design as well, but in my opinion the Moment is preferable as it offers more inside and outside (vestibule) room, more ventilation options, and an easier set-up - all with .25 lb. less weight.

Red Beard
12-05-2009, 23:55
@Tagless. Do you have any experience with your TT Moment in rain?

frisbeefreek
12-06-2009, 23:53
I really liked the Rainbow on my thru. The extra floor space vs. other solo tents was really nice, especially when I wanted to have a pack explosion during nasty weather. Relative to the Moment/Flycreek, you get something like 40% more floor space for only 6oz extra.

The extra elbow room is also nice when condensation clings to the single wall tents.

About the only downside other than weight is the larger footprint required for setup - It's a little wide to setup directly on the trail.

One last note - The Rainbow can be setup free-standing with hiking poles.

Tagless
12-07-2009, 00:27
@Tagless. Do you have any experience with your TT Moment in rain?

Not yet Redbeard. I did seam seal it carefully, so bring on the rain! While in our Tarptent Rainshadow 2, Tag-along and I experienced many rainy nights during our thru hike without a problem. I anticipate the Moment will be just a reliable.

I hope to join a friend, Nice Lenses, on the AT for a couple of weeks this Spring. No doubt the Moment will be tested at that time. I'll report the outcome.

FamilyGuy
12-07-2009, 01:38
I don't have either tent, but here is a video on the Fly Creek. I am not sure how someone has issue sleeping on their side, but it does look a little short for taller folk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtaCCjCnWw

tuswm
12-08-2009, 03:12
I don't have either tent, but here is a video on the Fly Creek. I am not sure how someone has issue sleeping on their side, but it does look a little short for taller folk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtaCCjCnWw

That video does a good job of showing the inside volume of the tent. The tent I was referring to was similar but didn't have the to steak out points in the middle of the tent near your waist. That seams so make a big difference in floor area. The other tent I was referring to didn't have them and was so skinny that the width of the tent was less then the length of your upper leg so you could not bring your legs up with out touching both walls of the tent at the same time.

XCskiNYC
12-08-2009, 22:41
That was very community minded of youtube user neversat to make and post his video review of the Fly Creek.

The two tents are pretty similar in many ways, both in the same price class ($2-300), both close in weight, both close in floor dimensions and height. The Moment looks like it might have more cubic inches of interior space but the BA tent is big enough for my medium-sized body, pack, and whatever gear I may distribute from the interior of my pack to the interior of the tent.

I went with the Fly Creek and will post some info on it after use.