PDA

View Full Version : Hello

OrionFyre
12-05-2009, 17:50
<- goateed, bald-headed, portly, barefooting buddhist with an insatiable desire to go hiking and disappear for a while. :sun I've spent the last four or five days assimilating quite a bit of information.

About four years ago an acquaitence of mine asked if I'd like to do a hike on the AT with him. Of course the thought of hiking the whole distance was mind boggling at the time. He had just retired from the military at the ripe age of 35 no worse for wear and 3 pounds of an assortment of metal, screws, pins and plates. He never shared any information with our small group of friends other than he was a sniper and he would disappear sometimes for months on end without a single word as to his well being. He was deffinitely what you would call "hard" especially when compared to my cuddly (alright, jiggly) frame.

At the time I had asked him if he had a plan laid out and his response was "oh yeah. I'm going to get on orbitz and buy a plane ticket to georgia..." I waited "and?" "start hiking...." His explanation was that if his handlers couldn't develope a strike plan that went off without a hitch when lives were on the line... why try to plan something as harmless as a walk in the park?" I didn't do a lot of thinking about it and decided I better not go. Which I regret now. I ended up quitting that job a year later anyways and wasn't at all happy there. And I could have had a great time.

We got three letters from him. One from a lady who was dropping off her son and his friends in GA who wrote us saying he offered here a ten spot to take his picture and send it to us. second was from a small town en-route, sent by a day-hiker. Both of these only contained pictures. And our group of friends was surprised we got anything because it wasn't his 'style'. The third was from Maine, same m.o. Someone picking up their hiker that he asked to take a picture. It had a letter from him describing how much fun he had and how at peace he was. And that was the last we've ever heard from him. I would assume he went by his call name "Nested Viper" or just Viper, and whenever anyone he didn't know asked where he was from his answer was "neverland"

What turned me away from going with him was the lack of planning and just plain being afraid. But now I have got this itch to do it. I like to camp. I love the outdoors. And camping is fun. I've got a bunch of camping gear I throw on the bicycle trailer and toodle around the area. Though non of it is really suited for the Hiking.

Of course not having done hiking, as suggested in everything i've read I'm thinking of doing some smaller hikes first. I have a unique work schedule now. I work the overnights at a pharmacy so I work 7 ten hours days in a row and then I get seven days off. I go "in" at 10pm on Sunday and "leave" next sunday at 8am. So in essence I get every other week off after only working and sleeping. LOL (26 weeks of vacation a year much?)

This is also great because I get two actual weeks of vacation. So I can use a week of vaca and have an off-vaca-off combo. I've just gone on the overnights and was sitting recently thinking how best to utilize my new freedom. I wanted to go to Ireland, Scottland, Europe. Oh hell the list goes on and on. I started running numbers and the cost/bennefit just didn't weight out right. Long camping trips came up next. Very little cost LOTS of bennefit. Hiking was the next logical evolution. And that brought me full circle to remembering being asked to go hiking.

So after the essay here it is laid out. I've got a three week window from a sunday 8am to a sunday 21 days later at 10pm to run off, tromp through the woods for the first time, and get back home. I'm also one of those people that thinks vacations should last until the very last minute until you absolutely must go back to work. My last vacation the plane landed at midnight, and I went to work that morning at 9am. :o

So obviously this has got to be a small section hike relatively easy for a n00b to get his head in the right place. From what I've read I was starting to get the feeling that I could start somewhere near the middle and head north around late April. I would Love to start in GA and work north, but the terrain i feel as described might be a tad bit out of my fitness capabilities.

I currently weigh 245lbs, but since converting to barefoot/minimalist running I can readily run 6 miles on the mountain bike course near my house. And it isn't unusual for me to walk upwards of 35-40 miles on the weekends around town. I'm just not sure about the climbing which is what this initial outing is all about right? I was thinking something maybe in Virginia? and heading north.

Gear? no problem that I can figure out on my own (those hammock setups look mighty comfy!) and I just absolutely love my alcohol stove I made. I use it more than my nice fuel stove I bought!

*stops rambling*

Woods Hole
12-05-2009, 19:12
Hello Orion
We would be happy to help you in your hike. We are Woods Hole Hostel located in the Southwestern corner of Virginia. We are one of the older hostels on the trail. Opened in 1986 by my grandparents. We offer shuttles, meals, indoor rooms and affordable and modern amneties along with a more rustic bunkhouse for those looking for something donation based. We expect to begin seeing Northbound hikers towards the end of March...through July. This may be a great place for you to start or finish?
Our website is
www.woodsholehostel.com
If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call.

Neville & Michael
(540) 921 3444

bigcranky
12-05-2009, 19:51
Plenty of out of shape beginning hikers make it through Georgia. Also, plenty of hikers who thought they were in shape quit in Georgia. It's all in your head. Take your time, cut the pack weight down, and enjoy.

Figure with travel time, etc., you'll have 18 days on the Trail, you can start at Springer and hike to Fontana Dam. Great section. Do it in late April when the weather is getting better -- can be cold at night, but warmer during the day. Wild flowers starting to come up. Good views from the ridgelines.

If it were me, I would make arrangements with the Hiker Hostel in Georgia. They will pick you up, give you a night in their wonderful home, feed you a huge breakfast, and drive you to Springer for a very reasonable fee. Then you can hike for as long as you want, and make arrangements for a ride back to Atlanta and your flight home.

(Nothing against the hostel noted in the post above, I just like the Georgia section and feel that a large thing ought to be begun at the beginning, if you know what I mean.)

Bearpaw
12-05-2009, 21:23
Your level of fitness sounds well above that of many, if not most, who start off a thru-hike in Georgia. Get a plane ticket to Atlanta and go ;). Georgia is tough for those who are unprepared or think of Georgia as "little mountains". (It IS little mountains compares to NC and TN or VT, NH, and Maine, but it is still decent climbing for those with NO mountains). BUT start off with modest days, 8-12 miles, and all will be well.

As for gear, the best gear is the stuff that get you out there hiking. Do your research and ask specific questions, but don't agonize over every little detail. You'll figure out quickly enough what works well for you on the trail.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2009, 21:26
Don't forget to bring cheesecake. . . :sun

sheepdog
12-05-2009, 21:30
sorry friend I can't read past five lines. good luck storming the castle.

Blissful
12-05-2009, 21:30
Good plan to start in GA and go as far as you can with the time you have. No rush, just enjoy it. You'll get in shape as you hike but anything you can do now does help you in the end.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2009, 21:48
Anyone want a peanut. . . ?

sheepdog
12-05-2009, 21:53
Anyone want a peanut. . . ?
no more ryming I mean it

Mongoose2
12-05-2009, 23:13

OrionFyre
12-06-2009, 00:38
Your level of fitness sounds well above that of many, if not most, who start off a thru-hike in Georgia. Get a plane ticket to Atlanta and go ;). Georgia is tough for those who are unprepared or think of Georgia as "little mountains". (It IS little mountains compares to NC and TN or VT, NH, and Maine, but it is still decent climbing for those with NO mountains). BUT start off with modest days, 8-12 miles, and all will be well.

As for gear, the best gear is the stuff that get you out there hiking. Do your research and ask specific questions, but don't agonize over every little detail. You'll figure out quickly enough what works well for you on the trail.
Bearpaw, thank you for the reassurance. It means a lot. I deffinitely was planning on some short days to start. I have quite powerful legs from all my walking and bike riding and do tend to feel better faster than most. I did a 100 mile casual paced bike ride once and my legs were like rubber when I finally got into bed, but by morning I woke up and walked downtown for the jazz festival to meet friends (15 miles). I'm sure that my festidious attention to getting proper carbs and protein before/during/after these long treks I take plays a role to so that is one concern of mine as well (food)

Don't forget to bring cheesecake. . . :sun
Inside joke?

Plenty of out of shape beginning hikers make it through Georgia. Also, plenty of hikers who thought they were in shape quit in Georgia. It's all in your head. Take your time, cut the pack weight down, and enjoy.

Figure with travel time, etc., you'll have 18 days on the Trail, you can start at Springer and hike to Fontana Dam. Great section. Do it in late April when the weather is getting better -- can be cold at night, but warmer during the day. Wild flowers starting to come up. Good views from the ridgelines.

If it were me, I would make arrangements with the Hiker Hostel in Georgia. They will pick you up, give you a night in their wonderful home, feed you a huge breakfast, and drive you to Springer for a very reasonable fee. Then you can hike for as long as you want, and make arrangements for a ride back to Atlanta and your flight home.

(Nothing against the hostel noted in the post above, I just like the Georgia section and feel that a large thing ought to be begun at the beginning, if you know what I mean.)
I do understand its in your head. I believe the vast majority of things are that way. I'm also willing and aware that things can fall apart rather quickly. I don't remember who's signature it was on here but it was brilliant "If you're in such a hurry why are you walking?" or something like that.

I'm sort of "worried" because none of my friends want to go. And the whole "alone" thing is well ALONE. LOL. I had originally thought about starting in Georgia but the concern of climbing is what turned me away from it. I've heard from a couple internet friends who said it was "too hard" and these were gym rats and marathoners. So that was why I was thinking 'in the middle'. But like I said originally I had been thinking GA because I know like ten people who live down there. So I would have absolutely no problem getting from airport to the head.

In fact, Two years ago I had gone down to a group gathering down there for pride week during the fourth of July. on the 3rd me and two of the guys went to Amicola SP. The last time I had really been immersed in "nature" like that was when I was 4.5 years old and went with my parents to denver. The only thing I can remember is scraping my knee and being scared of asking for a bandaid at the visitor center. The girl behind the counter had really ... colorful... makeup. I still remember her face to this day at almost 29 years old.

Anyways I was blown away by the falls and the trail comming down from the top. Oh the view up even at the modest height was inspiring! After that we went onto one of the forest service roads and drove into what I called "banjo territorry" to everyone's laughter. We did a little walking around at the crest and it was sooooo beautiful.

Out of the whole time I was down there. All the places we went and saw and things we did. Going to Amicola and to the MTB course to do some mountain Biking was by far the most fun.

rattling off again. sorry. I'm just hyped and justifying this to myself for some reason. But Transportation to the trail, no problem that's covered. Even if my friends in Atlanta think I'm insane for wanting to do this :D They'll still support my insanity and cart my butt around. What my concern is... is getting back to Amicola or even all the way to ATL. See I really hate to impose on my friends and ask them to drive all the way up into 'banjo territory' to pick my insane self up and then ALL the way back to atlanta. So say I were to exceed my lowly expectation of "miserable failure" and actually make it to Fontana with all my limbs more or less accounted for? (optimism never hurt anyone right? right?!?!) how much would like a shuttle or something of the like cost to get back down to that area?

As far as gear, like I said I'm not too terribly worried. But say April is when I head out. I've actually got a brand new cold weather sleeping bag that I got for a steal. Its an ultra lamina 0-degree synthetic. Not exactly light, but not a monster either. would this bag be too warm for a start time around that date? (literally a steal at $45 for a 2.5 inch tear at the bottom which patched up nicely).

I was looking at those crazy hammock-ers and boy I tell you, i think they got the right idea LOL. I was looking for some plans for a basic hammock as I think the bridge one on the tutorial for the other site might be too involved (never used a sewing machine before) for a first time project. But can't find any tutorials for just a basic...???

Additionally I have a hiking stick that I absolutely want to take because it means so much to me. It was just an ash wood walking stick when I gave it to him. He spent about two months carving a prayer along the length of it. After he passed and left all of his 5 worldly belongings to me, I asked one of his old students to paint that lettering in correctly and I stained it and sealed it. How would transporting this on the plane work? it is 5 feet long

ok wow, sorry for rambling again.

OrionFyre
12-06-2009, 00:43
Additionally I have a hiking stick that I absolutely want to take because it means so much to me. It was just an ash wood walking stick when I gave it to him. He spent about two months carving a prayer along the length of it. After he passed and left all of his 5 worldly belongings to me, I asked one of his old students to paint that lettering in correctly and I stained it and sealed it. How would transporting this on the plane work? it is 5 feet long
[/quote]

That made no sense...

... It was a walking stick when I gave it to my buddhist teacher. He had been having more trouble getting around and was getting a bit unsteady. So I found some ash on a camping trip and carved it into a walking stick.

Old Hiker
12-07-2009, 14:43

VALERIE

(to Max)
Think it'll work?

MIRACLE MAX
It would take a miracle. Bye!

But you have to wait fifteen minutes for full potency.

Enjoy the hike! Make sure you do a trail journal on trailjournals.com so we can keep up with your exploits.

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 22:32
Wait, wait, wait... We've already warped TWO threads in the past week in the name of The Princess Bride.

(Okay, really I'm just annoyed that I'm not the one who started it! :D )

-And wait at least an hour before he goes swimming!

sheepdog
12-08-2009, 22:36
Wait, wait, wait... We've already warped TWO threads in the past week in the name of The Princess Bride.

(Okay, really I'm just annoyed that I'm not the one who started it! :D )

-And wait at least an hour before he goes swimming!
sorry buttercup, I've been mostly dead all day

ShelterLeopard
12-09-2009, 00:17
Then to the death!
No, to the pain.

sheepdog
12-09-2009, 18:43
Then to the death!
No, to the pain.
I'm not quite sure I'm familiar with that term

ShelterLeopard
12-09-2009, 20:13
Let me explain, and I'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand you warthog faced buffoon.

sheepdog
12-09-2009, 21:46
Let me explain, and I'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand you warthog faced buffoon.
I don't think anyone has talked to me that way before

and I don't enjoy the role of prince humperdink :D

OrionFyre
12-09-2009, 22:12
well... that's helpful.........

*wanders off*

The Weasel
12-10-2009, 10:09
Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

TW

Hooch
12-10-2009, 10:32
Wait, wait, wait... We've already warped TWO threads in the past week in the name of The Princess Bride.......

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/f6/0/AAAAAmatpoYAAAAAAPYMDw.jpg

Hooch
12-10-2009, 10:44
Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

TWThis parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet it's maker. :D

ShelterLeopard
12-10-2009, 11:28
This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet it's maker. :D

He's not dead, he's just resting.

Alligator
12-10-2009, 11:30
Hello OrionFyre, your post exceeds the average attention span of our membership:sun. Plainly asked, your question about your hiking staff can be readily answered in the Straight Forward Forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108). I haven't traveled on a plane with one in about 15 years so I don't know the restrictions.

ShelterLeopard
12-10-2009, 11:34
Or e's pining for the fjords...

ShelterLeopard
12-10-2009, 11:35
well... that's helpful.........

*wanders off*

Sorry, Gator's right- our attention span is really pathetic, ShLep promises to make no more Monty Python or Princess Bride Jokes. In this thread, anyway.