PDA

View Full Version : Video Chat/Messaging in towns?

Hyway
12-05-2009, 23:06
Are their any places that offer Video Chat/Messaging along the AT corridor? Something like skype with video.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2009, 23:27
You might reconsider why you want to hike the trail. . . .

Hyway
12-05-2009, 23:47
You hike it why you want to and I'll hike it why I do. Do you have an answer to my question?

sticks&stones
12-05-2009, 23:58
webcam only weighs an once or 2. plug it into any library PC, download skype, log into your personal skype account, and video chat.

white_russian
12-06-2009, 00:10
webcam only weighs an once or 2. plug it into any library PC, download skype, log into your personal skype account, and video chat.
If you do this make sure you ask the librarian first. Messing with their computers without permission is sure to ruin it for the rest of us.

white_russian
12-06-2009, 00:13
If you want something reliable (ie most towns) then a web tablet or smartphone with wifi and a camera that faces you is what you need. I have a Nokia N810 and it has this functionality.

Hyway
12-06-2009, 11:00
Thanks for the tips. I never thought about downloading programs to a library computer. I wonder how many libraries allow this? This would be time consuming but I will only be doing it once or twice a month to keep my downs syndrome son from forgetting my face.

I like the netbook/smartphone idea but this is a low budget hike. If I spend any money on gear it will be to upgrade my sleeping bag to something lighter and smaller.

(BTW, why doesn't this thread show up on the New Posts list?)

Thrasher
12-06-2009, 11:37
Thanks for the tips. I never thought about downloading programs to a library computer. I wonder how many libraries allow this?
You could download Portable Apps (http://portableapps.com/) onto a USB drive and have skype (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable) installed on it. This way you wouldn't have to download it on every computer, just plug your USB drive in and run the application from it. Assuming you find access to a webcam. I'm bringing a USB drive with portable apps on my thru hike, not for webcam purposes though.

white_russian
12-06-2009, 12:22
Thanks for the tips. I never thought about downloading programs to a library computer. I wonder how many libraries allow this? This would be time consuming but I will only be doing it once or twice a month to keep my downs syndrome son from forgetting my face.

I like the netbook/smartphone idea but this is a low budget hike. If I spend any money on gear it will be to upgrade my sleeping bag to something lighter and smaller.

(BTW, why doesn't this thread show up on the New Posts list?)
How about sending recorded video messages? Pretty much all digital still cameras have some sort of video capabilities and then all you have to do is email it. Even if you can't get live videoconferencing this might help.

Freeman Incognito
12-06-2009, 13:10
You might reconsider why you want to hike the trail. . . .
Wow.

Just wow.

You leapt in with a first post just to get a chance to be rude, judgemental and ignorant.

You might reconsider why you want to post on this site. . . .

You could download Portable Apps (http://portableapps.com/) onto a USB drive and have skype (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable) installed on it. This way you wouldn't have to download it on every computer, just plug your USB drive in and run the application from it. Assuming you find access to a webcam. I'm bringing a USB drive with portable apps on my thru hike, not for webcam purposes though.

Thrasher has the right idea. Get a cheap thumb drive, and put the portable version of Skype on it. Grab an inexpensive plug and play webcam, such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Webcam-Camera-Laptop-Notebook/dp/B001M53FX6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1260117622&sr=1-5), as well as a USB headphone/mic combo that are available for under US$10, and you have a solution that weighs about 3 oz. total, and cost under US$25 for a thumbdrive, webcam, and headphone/mic combo.

Just be careful when purchasing a webcam, and make sure it doesn't require any drivers to be installed for use; many (most!) internet cafe's or places that allow you to use their computers won't allow you to install drivers. "Plug and Play compatible" doesn't always mean plug and play, and many webcams require additional drivers to work. (The one I linked to specifically states that no drivers are required.)

Best of luck, and hike your own hike.

Hyway
12-06-2009, 13:34
White Russian. That's a good idea and I will be taking video along with stills and send the card home to my daughter (she is the techno in the family). I think Thrasher and Freeman have nailed what I am looking for. Thanks everyone.

Hyway
12-22-2009, 10:04
I ordered two of those webcams listed above and a headset for a total of $33 and got free shipping. I already had a thumb drive. I downloaded skype to the thumb drive and tried it out on my work computer and it does exactly what I was looking for. Simple and easy video chat without having to install anything on someone else's computer.

Thanks for the help.

Hyway
12-22-2009, 10:28
The webcam in its cardboard box and the headset weigh a total of 9.6 oz. I suppose I could look for a lighter headset, but I think this will be ok.

atraildreamer
12-22-2009, 10:29
Thanks for the tips. I never thought about downloading programs to a library computer. I wonder how many libraries allow this?

My local library has blocked the installation of additional programs.

Get a data thumb and install your applications on it, it should work fine, and you will not have to deal with unfamiliar software at different libraries.

Zoooma
12-27-2009, 18:21
How about sending recorded video messages

This was the idea I had. You mentioned being on a budget but if you have the right digital camera, it can do short vids, right? Or, and I know you mentioned being on a budget, try to find a decent camera that does what you need. If you belong to a church, maybe church members can help with the expense, or a group of friends or co-workers. I guess it could be pricey to send vids back home on memory cards but that might be a very worthwhile thing to do. Maybe certain libraries or motels along the way can help you upload to Youtube? It might not be very difficult to do a video a few times a week if you wanted. How great that might be for you to share with your son -- lots of sunrises and sunsets, beautiful vistas, lakes, rivers and waterfalls and moose and zebras and kangaroos!
There are some options for you to look into :sun

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 02:45
gmail has video chat. have the other person set up gmail. (i don't remember having to download new software...just an active x control...which most computers will allow)

first problem is going to be finding a computer with a webcam.

second problem is finding a library that'll let you talk while sitting at a computer.

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 02:46
gmail has video chat. have the other person set up gmail. (i don't remember having to download new software...just an active x control...which most computers will allow)

second problem is finding a library that'll let you talk while sitting at a computer.

Johnny Thunder
12-01-2010, 02:46

Tennessee Viking
12-01-2010, 09:54
The situation that will come up with is that you are going to have businesses and libraries that will not allow you to download or install software/drivers on their computers. If weight is not an issue, then look into getting a Netbook in that case.

If you can find anyone that will allow you. Google Video Chat and Skype are the way to go.

Google's Gmail Video Chat maybe the simpliest way to connect though. Only requires a Google Gmail account, webcam, and a small driver download. Skype is rather a larger download and heavier installation compared to Google.

The latest version iPhone should have a video chat. I think there is an Andriod app as well.

ebandlam
12-01-2010, 10:36
Hyway,

Curious about the motivation for video chat? Is it to chat with one person - a loved one? or see your child? If so, have you given thought to the new iPhone 4? If it is with multiple people, Skype does have a video chat - my experience is that it is a bit slow - not a huge fan of it though..