PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation Question

wandering_bob
12-05-2009, 23:12
Other than a rental car or a local friend who can drive you, how can one get from (or back to) Denver airport to:

Breckenridge
Twin Lakes
Creede

I noticed that Greyhound stops at DIA, Salida, Silverton, and Durango.
My hiking partner needs to know.

highfisher
12-05-2009, 23:37
You might look into Summit stage lines, they go to Breck,Frisco and Copper mountain, for more info check out mags site, Pmags.com, goto "CT end to end guide" look towards the bottom. Everything you need in one click.

Here's a link: http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/coloradotrail_info.html

highfisher,

Mags
12-06-2009, 14:38
Yep..the summit stage will take you to Breck.

Take the Dirty Dog (Greyound) or Amtrak into Frisco and take the bus to Breck right on the Colorado Trail! :)

Twin Lakes, you'll have to do a hybrid approach. Take the Greyhound to Frisco, then take the summit stage to Copper. From there, there are some shuttling options in Leadville (on the other side of Fremont Pass from Copper) that can take you into nearby Twin Lakes.

Creede? That's going to be tough. You may want to contact the shuttle options listed in my doc and see what they come up with.

wandering_bob
12-06-2009, 18:17
Unfortunately, the Summit Stage doesn't run into Denver (according to their website).

Colorado Mtn Express runs from Denver airport directly to the Frisco Transfer Center every hour on the half hour, but then we'd still have to take the Summit Stage to reach Breck. We can work from either town just as easy; one only has to remember in which direction to catch the bus at the TH.

Eagle Country Transit runs between Leadville and Vail, but I didn't see any mention of service to Twin Lakes. CME also services Vail from Denver.

Creede was always the sticky point. I ws afraid we might need a high-priced shuttle service to get in or out of there. We're still trying to work out an entry/exit/resupply plan that does not include Creede.
:-?
Ever onward!

Mags
12-07-2009, 13:31
Unfortunately, the Summit Stage doesn't run into Denver (according to their website).
!

No it doesn't.

As mentioned, take the Greyhound from Denver to Frisco transfer station THEN take the Summit Stage to Breck, Copper or other places.

The schedule is on the their website.

Yeah..Creede/Lake City is probably the hardest overall place to reach on the Colorado Trail. There is a shuttle service based around Wolf Creek Pass that might shuttle you into Creede.

As a side note, the show Northern Exposure was going to be filmed in Lake City. However, it was too hard (logistically) to film there as it so isolated from Denver vs. Rosyln, WA (more or less up the road from Seattle)