PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day trail conditions, NC-GA

Noggin
08-29-2004, 17:39
I'm thinking of hiking part of the trial south of the Smokies over the long Labor Day weekend.

How is the water situation in that area this year?

How are crowds on Labor Day weekend in this section?

What are the temperatures like in this section in early September?

orangebug
08-29-2004, 18:39
It has been amazingly cool, relatively, around NOGA lately. I wouldn't count on it continuing. I'd be prepared for a low in the 40's, expect it to be in the 60's. I'd expect highs in the 70's and 80's.

Water has been reasonably good around here.

Now, there is a bit of a risk with that little hurrican out in the Atlantic, Frances. This could be a real problem if it keeps a straight line.

You will have fun. Where are you planning to walk?

Bill....

Noggin
08-29-2004, 20:46
You will have fun. Where are you planning to walk?
Probably starting Fontana and heading south. If it looks like it will be crowded, maybe nearby Pisgah, Citico or Nantahala trails. But I've heard water can be hard to find on the ridges up there.

Then again, I looked at the forecast on Accuweather and it's supposed to be about 10 degrees above average next weekend. So I may wait until the following weekend, when it'll be cooler and less crowded. Might even see a leaf or two turning above 5,000 feet.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 21:11
I'd only expect a crowd near NOC. You've got plenty of water at Cable Gap shelter, a morning's walk south of Fontana, with lots of opportunity for water for a couple of miles south of Fontana.

You'll get some rain by Sunday. Don't worry. It's all good.

Bill...

chris
08-30-2004, 01:07
Early September in the Smokys is the ABSOLUTE perfect time to hike. The weather is outstanding and the crowds are minimal. Get into the backcountry and have a blast. Of course, now that I have written this the weather patterns for the last few years will change and you will be shat on. But, if I had to choose any time to hike in the Smokys, it would be the first weekend in September. Very few crowds in the backcountry. Two years ago I was in the Mount Sterling area (wow!) and spent 38 hours without seeing another soul. I have yet to run into a full (or even close) shelter in the Smokys in the fall; the busy time is late March and April.

In terms of weather, the last two years have seen daily highs in the mid 70s and night time lows in the mid 50s (on the ridge). Clear and no humidity. Water was fine, although the flow at a few places was rather slow (Molly, Derrick, Spence) in a few places. Haze is a bit of a problem, however, so don't expect the long distance views to Miami that can be had in February.

Definitely go. Loop trips that include Mount Sterling or Gregory Bald or High Rocks or Rocky Top or Mount LeConte are not to be missed. Now that I moved out of the area I might reveal my favorite place in GSMNP, but I suppose I should hold off for sake of new friends in the area.

markellag
08-30-2004, 10:14
I am going hiking the week after Labor Day, September 11-18, to hike the GA Section of AT. Knowledgable folks told me Labor Day is one of the busiest hiking day in the Fall, but maybe not excessively so. Far less people will be out
September 11-18. For example, I may be the only person in the shelter.