PDA

View Full Version : House for sale 1.5 miles from the AT

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2009, 12:26
This coming spring I have decided to put my little house up for sale. Time to follow Horace Greeley's advice again and go back out west. The house is a fine little two bedroom cottage located on 15 acres very rural and located 2 miles by dirt road to the AT crossing of Cape Moonshine Road in Wentworth, NH. The property abuts the NH White Mountain National Forest and boasts it's own trout stream. Oil, forced hot water heat but I use wood from the acreage as my main heating source. No zoning, nor building permits, and an unusually low property tax rate for NH. Why am I leaving? Well, during my 70 years of life I have lived in 37 different places all over the world and I have itchy feet, good retirement income(s), no wife, and a good dog. What else does a man need I ask? My last "western" residence was Idaho, about six years ago and I think I'll look at Montana this time.

Asking price is what my property is assessed for - 285,000.

The house can be seen at:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557078729cGJZiP

Jeff
12-06-2009, 12:34
Isn't there a hostel or some place for hikers to stay on Cape Moonshine Rd?

Ender
12-06-2009, 12:42
Sounds like a great house. Link isn't working for me though... not that I could afford it anyway, but I sure would to be able to drool at the photos. :sun

Red Hat
12-06-2009, 14:34
Good luck, Hillwalker! Are you changing your trailname from NHHillwalker to MontanaHillwalker?

Montana AT05
12-06-2009, 16:30
Welcome to Montana friend. I hope you enjoy it. It's a diverse state with many settings--from open range, to tight mountain canyons, to riversides to...uhh...never mountain tops...please don't buy anything on a ridge line or on a mountain top...this ain't Colorado ya know!

Anytime you see a house perched on a ridge or on a mountain top--ruining the view--be sure it's a Californian transplant who bolts in the winter and claims they love nature while arguing with the young kid at the local coffee shop about whether a pinch of dash of cinnamon was added to their coffee drink--a drink that took 2 minutes just to order.

OoOOo I ranted...what a surprise.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it here if you come.

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2009, 16:37
Sounds like a great house. Link isn't working for me though... not that I could afford it anyway, but I sure would to be able to drool at the photos. :sun

Sorry about that - Link fixed now.

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2009, 16:40
Isn't there a hostel or some place for hikers to stay on Cape Moonshine Rd?

About 3 miles down the Moonshine Road is an "Intentional Community" that goes by the name of
"Dancing Bones". They sometimes welcome thru-hikers, work for stay. Then of course there is "Hikers Welcome Hostel" in Glencliff, a few miles further north along the AT.

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2009, 16:42
Welcome to Montana friend. I hope you enjoy it. It's a diverse state with many settings--from open range, to tight mountain canyons, to riversides to...uhh...never mountain tops...please don't buy anything on a ridge line or on a mountain top...this ain't Colorado ya know!

Anytime you see a house perched on a ridge or on a mountain top--ruining the view--be sure it's a Californian transplant who bolts in the winter and claims they love nature while arguing with the young kid at the local coffee shop about whether a pinch of dash of cinnamon was added to their coffee drink--a drink that took 2 minutes just to order.

OoOOo I ranted...what a surprise.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it here if you come.

I have a younger brother who lives in Polson.

We dealt with the Californians living in Idaho too.

Montana AT05
12-06-2009, 16:48
My Dad likes Polson, he always talked about moving there (he lives and grew up in Ohio). He visited Polson the year he married my mom, they did a trip out west before having us youngsters.

I live in Bozeman.

Sly
12-06-2009, 17:07
Lots of cools towns in MT. I haven't been, but I've heard Whitefish is great. Close to GNP and the Bob too.

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2009, 17:17
Well I'm very sorry you're leaving, but Montana sounds very exciting.

Hope we see you in Glencliff next weekend.

The Weasel
12-06-2009, 17:39
I have a younger brother who lives in Polson.

We dealt with the Californians living in Idaho too.

Yeah, we've heard here about all these really evil people from California going to Idaho and Montana (other places, too!) and forcing those people to sell their property - sometimes with threats like, "If you don't take my offer, I'll offer you more!" - and sell their coffee, food, and other things that those suffering locals are required to sell in their stores and restaurants.

Damn, I'd think that Montana and Idaho would be fed up with taking that money by now and just say, "Ah, the heck with it! Let's get poor and starve!" But no! If they tried that, people California would just offer and more money. I guess it hopeless when you're dealing with people who just can't resist temptation.

:D

TW

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2009, 21:15
Well I'm very sorry you're leaving, but Montana sounds very exciting.

Hope we see you in Glencliff next weekend.

Well, I haint lefted yet Jack. I bin wracking me brain to figger out what to bring to the potluck next weekend, but since I doesn't cook much I need sum idees. Enny surgestions?

Please pardon the literary style above, I just finished a Louis L'Amour Western this evening;)