PDA

View Full Version : Job opening: 501 Caretaker

Jeff
12-06-2009, 15:19
Not sure if this was already discussed, but saw the ad for the 501 caretakers job on the bmecc website:

www.bmecc.org

emerald
12-06-2009, 15:25
A question came up before and was answered in the same fashion. Anyone desiring more information should contact Larry Kramer privately.

A temporary arrangement has been implemented to allow 501 Shelter to remain open to through hikers until a replacement is selected.

Tinker
12-06-2009, 15:28
Oh, if I were only single!
(But I wouldn't trade my married life for any job ;)).
I keep threatening my wife that I'll volunteer at one of the AMC huts after I retire. We'll see :D.

johnnybgood
12-06-2009, 15:40
Just curious. Is the caretaker paid a stipend for operating the shelter or is his a volunteer effort with free meals and a bed ?

emerald
12-06-2009, 15:55
The Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club Corridor Management Committee is seeking a caretaker of the Route 501 Shelter near Pine Grove, PA. Applicant must have long distance AT hiking experience and knowledge of general maintenance and trail work. Good communication skills and ability to maintain good public relations with BMECC, thru hikers, day hikers, local community, and law enforcement officials. Duties include maintaining caretaker house, hiker shelter, cutting grass, picking up trash, monitoring the area, etc.
Contact Larry Kramer [email protected] ([email protected]) or send resume to 101 South College St., Myerstown, PA 17067.
I won't add anything more and ask that no one else does. Had Larry wished to advertise the postion here and take questions, I would think he would have done so. I will ask him if he would care to provide more information later today. It may save him answering the same questions repeatedly.

shelterbuilder
12-06-2009, 22:42
Emerald is right - contact Larry Kramer if you're really interested in this position. It's a great opportunity for the right person or family.

As a former caretaker at the Eckville Shelter, I can tell you that the position has its good and bad points - just like anything else. Overall, my wife and I loved the experience - but living "out in the country" isn't for everyone. :-?

emerald
12-07-2009, 00:16
The caretaker position at the RT 501 Caretaker Facility is strictly a VOLUNTEER position. The caretaker pays NO rent, however in return, the caretaker is responsible for paying ALL utility costs, such as electric, phone, internet, trash etc and any costs associated with maintaining the residence. Since the caretaker must be able to cover these costs, that person should have a full time or multiple part time jobs. Although the caretaker agreement between the caretaker and BMECC is renewed on an annual basis, we are looking for someone that would be able stay for a few years to maintain some sort of continuity.

Larry Kramer
BMECC AT Corridor Management Committee