PDA

View Full Version : Southern AT Section Suggestions

mateozzz
12-06-2009, 15:40
Hi, I'm just starting to think about a section hike next spring/early summer. I did Springer to Hiawassee last spring and enjoyed it a lot. My general goal is to do about 80-100 miles in 7-10 days, and I will be flying in to the area since I live in Texas so I need transportation. So my question is, what would be a good section to do and why? I really like the pictures I've seen of the Grayson Highlands area, so that would be Irwin to Damascus, right? I also went to Va Tech so I was thinking maybe starting at Blacksburg, but I don't know if the trail is good in that area (Dragon's tooth is nearby, Catawba I think?)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt

Cabin Fever
12-06-2009, 16:05
Fontana Dam to Hot Springs is about 100 miles. If I were you, I would continue past Hiawasee and go to NOC.

Grayson Highlands in north of Damascus so it is not included in the section you mentioned - Erwin to Damascus. However, that is a very good section including the Roan Highlands, Laurel Fork Gorge, etc.

Anything north of Franklin, NC, you should fly into Asheville, NC. North of Hot Springs, you should fly into Tri Cities, TN (TRI). Anything in mid-VA, you should fly into Roanoke.

Use www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com) to figure distances.

Bulldawg
12-06-2009, 16:27
If I were you I'd just continue on where I left off. Start at Dick's Creek and go to Fontana, that is just under 100 miles. If you needed to pull up short, go to NOC, right at 68 miles. The hiking once you get past the big climbs out of Georgia is a breeze really until you get to Winding Stair Gap, and not really bad after that. You could fly into Atlanta, get Cool Breeze to shuttle you to Dicks Creek, then work something out with Ron Haven to get you back to Atlanta or back to Cool Breeze. If it were me though, I'd rent a car at the airport and just get one shuttle. But it would suck to pay rental on a car to sit there, maybe that is not the best idea, go with my original idea. Have fun, that is most important.

Red River Falls
12-06-2009, 20:28
This Spring, I hiked from near Blacksburg to Daleville, about 40 miles. This is a very nice stretch of trail, IMO. There are Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs for notable attractions. Since you want to do more mileage, you could fly into Roanoke, get a lift to Pearisburg and get on the trail there. That would be closer to 100 miles. The trail comes out in Daleville, a short drive back to the airport in Roanoke.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2009, 20:41
Hi, I'm just starting to think about a section hike next spring/early summer. I did Springer to Hiawassee last spring and enjoyed it a lot. My general goal is to do about 80-100 miles in 7-10 days, and I will be flying in to the area since I live in Texas so I need transportation. So my question is, what would be a good section to do and why? I really like the pictures I've seen of the Grayson Highlands area, so that would be Irwin to Damascus, right? I also went to Va Tech so I was thinking maybe starting at Blacksburg, but I don't know if the trail is good in that area (Dragon's tooth is nearby, Catawba I think?)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt

fly into Tri-Cities airport, i'll pick you up and drop you off 80-100 miles north of Damascus, you hike back and i'll get you back to the airport when you're done

Blissful
12-06-2009, 21:21
Or continue were you left off and ask Ron about shuttle option. Hike Inn may be able to help near the Smokies.

Chaco Taco
12-07-2009, 09:14
Standing Bear to Damascus

pfann
12-11-2009, 00:54
I am thinking about hiking Shenandoah in May (possibly a couple other options)with a couple of co-workers.

I started a similar thread-http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56504

We will be driving down from Michigan, and I have no idea where you could fly to, but SNP has come with some recommendations.

-pfann

Hoop
12-11-2009, 21:35
What Bulldawg said.

Sly
12-11-2009, 23:55
If I were you I'd just continue on where I left off. Start at Dick's Creek and go to Fontana, that is just under 100 miles.

That's what I'd do. He could also fly in and out of Asheville. Ron would probably shuttle him both times.

Chaco Taco
12-11-2009, 23:58
That's what I'd do. He could also fly in and out of Asheville. Ron would probably shuttle him both times.

We could take you from Asheville

Bulldawg
12-12-2009, 10:43

We could take you from Asheville

Yeah, either one of those options are feasible. The flight into Asheville might be more, but the cost of the shuttle might even things out. I'd look into both possibilities. Dicks Creek to Fontana is a sweet little 100 miles. (96.9 to be exact I think):eek::eek: