PDA

View Full Version : hi from NY

Chatzi
12-06-2009, 17:44
I've been lurking for a while, and thought I should finally say hey!
I've been planning my thru hike for a few months now and can't wait till mid March. Graduated college a few years ago and have been floundering around ever since. With no clear long term goal in mind, I figured what better time to accomplish my short-term goal... hike the trail. Been doing some training around my home in NY, buying gear here and there when I find it on sale. Other than that just biding my time working and saving money. Uh... so, hi! Not a thrilling first post, but I plan on inundating the forum with questions soon enough.
-Christina

Compass
12-06-2009, 18:00
Welcome to Whiteblaze. Read the articles that are already written and for some specific information do a search of existing threads and possibly continue them. Fresh new threads are always welcome.

sasquatch2014
12-06-2009, 20:34
There is a shake out hiking happening for another 2010 hiker over in Eastern Pa the 16th and 17th if you want to join up. I am heading down from Pawling myself at least for that hike and maybe more all depends.

Blissful
12-06-2009, 21:22
Glad you're here, good place to be. :)

Tinker
12-06-2009, 23:52
Welcome, Chatzi! Take a few hikes with some of the folks here and elsewhere and let them share some of their ideas with you. You can learn a lot if you watch and listen to others - but remember, what works for others may not necessarily work for you so try camping and cooking tips at home in the yard before heading out for a long hike. Wait until the weather's at its worst and set up experiments in the back yard.
Good luck on your thruhike aspirations.

Powell19
12-07-2009, 02:22
Welcome to the forums Chatzi. I'm pretty new to them myself, but I've already gotten tons of information from these folks. Happy trails:)

Chatzi
12-07-2009, 22:07
Thanks for all the kind words. Unfortunately I have to work up till the last minute (money, you know) so not much time for travel before the end of March. I've been doing a three mile up- and- over- a- mountain- by- my- house circuit every day, which will have to do for training... and then I'm off! I ordered a Moment tarptent which should be shipping fairly soon. Can't wait to take it outside and camp in the frigid weather!