PDA

View Full Version : Audubon, Pa

kayak karl
12-07-2009, 11:21
Going to Audubon Pa. to visit my Dad today. was considering an overnight hike Tuesday to Wednesday (12/08-12/09)

Any suggestion??

Parking and road crossing would be great.

Anyone interested in going PM me.

PS GOT MAPS and GUIDEBOOK:)

Pootz
12-07-2009, 11:58
Palmerton PA is about the closest place on the AT from Audubon Pa. PA 309 to Lehigh Gap Pa 873(Palmerton), 14 miles. You could either stealth camp or Stay at Bake Oven Knob Shelter 5.9 miles, or George W. Outerbridge Shelter 12.7 miles. Moderate section, the whole thing could be done in one day if you are in decent shape. If you do not have one you should pick up a AT guide book or map for this section, so you know where everything is. Water is scarce in this section so plan accordingly.

Maybe someone else on here can answer this question- Is the Bake Oven Knob shelter still there/replaced/remodeled ?

Good Luck.

emerald
12-07-2009, 16:14
BMECC's shelter committee chairman posted yesterday he was there in the snow over the weekend. Since it's been there since 1937, I'd say there's a good chance it hasn't gone anywhere since.

There are no plans to replace it in part because it serves as a window into the A.T.'s past. Some day in the distant future, when it's no longer practical to maintain, it will likely be removed but not replaced.

emerald
12-07-2009, 16:23
Audubon is named for John James Audubon, the well-known ornithologist and artist who spent his early years there. His home overlooking Perkiomen Creek is open to the public.

More information can be found on Audubon's or Schuylkill River Trail's website. I believe I linked both here before. Search Mill Grove.

50 Hikes in Eastern Pennsylvania by Tom Thwiates lists a half dozen or more day hikes within an hour of Audubon.

saimyoji
12-07-2009, 16:27
the forecast for tomorrow night is snow and freezing rain. while i've camped there in those conditions, you'd best be prepared for lots of ice. have a great hike, and look for the smiley blaze. :)

kayak karl
04-04-2010, 12:56
Palmerton PA is about the closest place on the AT from Audubon Pa. PA 309 to Lehigh Gap Pa 873(Palmerton), 14 miles. You could either stealth camp or Stay at Bake Oven Knob Shelter 5.9 miles, or George W. Outerbridge Shelter 12.7 miles. Moderate section, the whole thing could be done in one day if you are in decent shape. If you do not have one you should pick up a AT guide book or map for this section, so you know where everything is. Water is scarce in this section so plan accordingly.

Maybe someone else on here can answer this question- Is the Bake Oven Knob shelter still there/replaced/remodeled ?

Good Luck.
rather then start a new thread i'm going to Ricketts Glen this weekend. the state park ain't too friendly to hammockers so i figured we would stop near trail and camp, hike next day and come back. any ideas where to stay in area. hostel would be cool, son never stayed at one. any suggestions.

TY KK