PDA

View Full Version : Best time in Spring to thru the smokies?

jpwvu
12-07-2009, 13:47
I am planning a trip for Spring to thru the Smokies. Can someone give me some advice on best time for weather, minimal AT thru hikers, etc. I dont mind cold weather but I dont want to encounter heavy snowfall.

Thanks for your help!

Blissful
12-07-2009, 15:09
We hit the Smokies mid march with 70's. Others hit it early April with snow. have to keep on eye on the weather for snow chances, as it can vary so much. But at any rate, thru hikers won't be a problem with shelters as you will need to reserve spaces in them anyway. Thrus are there mid March on and then its sectioners

Disney
12-07-2009, 15:47
The earlier you go the better as far as the Thru Hikers go.

jorhawle
12-07-2009, 20:14
I'm hoping to be thruing the Smokies in mid March myself! I'm sure there will be plenty of thru hikers...I commend you all! But this makes it easier to tent camp at the shelters! ;)

Ox97GaMe
12-07-2009, 22:55
To miss the majority of hikers and not worry too much about snow, you would be looking at mid to late may. There is usually still snow in the park in March or the constant threat of new snow any given week.

Every year, there is at least 1 snowstorm (6 or more inches) during the month of April. Sometimes it is early in the month, sometimes late in the month, sometimes multiple times during the month.

Snow can still arrive in early May, but it is less likely. And if it does come, it is usually gone within a day or two.

The main pack of thru hikers are pushing for Damascus (Trail Days) by mid May and are finished with the Smokies by first week of May. There will still be northbounders on the trail up through early June, but not at the huge numbers that you see during peak thru hiker window.

Also, by mid May, the wildflowers are coming out in full force. Great hiking during that time. Weekends will be crowded with all the folks out hunting the wildflowers, but not much activity during the week.

Happy Hiking,

schnikel
12-07-2009, 23:11
it seems to be a crap shoot most years.
In 08 my wife and I were hiking the AT in mid March and were hit with a snow storm, bitterly cold temps and shelters full with thrus as well as section hikers and people out for spring break ( spring was nowhere to be found.) My vote would be mid April to the start of May, but again, it seems to bea crap shoot every year.
schnikel

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-14-2009, 06:38
I am planning a trip for Spring to thru the Smokies. Can someone give me some advice on best time for weather, minimal AT thru hikers, etc. I dont mind cold weather but I dont want to encounter heavy snowfall.

Thanks for your help!
As another hiker just said - the earlier the better (for your hike's schedule) - within reason. If you start from Springer beginning of April things should work out. I have hiked in snow and ice storms in the Smokys as late in Spring as first week of May - and as early fall as first week of October. Them hills are notorious for making the weather man look stupid - so don't wait too long in expectations of "waiting for the weather to break."

bigcranky
12-14-2009, 08:17
The best Spring weather would be mid-May. Any earlier than that and you'll still be in late winter. There will possibly be a lot of thru-hikers still in the park, but you'll need reservations for all the shelters anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 16:24
Did mid March in 07, it was a little wet but was great.
Last year went through and it got a little cold. Gotta pay attention to weather, typically very wet that time of year up here

Gray Blazer
12-14-2009, 16:29
Take the BMT and avoid the crowds.

Tennessee Viking
12-14-2009, 17:10
There is really hardly any good time to hike the Smokies at the beginning of the year.

Jan-Feb: No crowd but its cold.

Apr-May: Warmer but crowded.

I would say mid April to May after the thrus have come through. Most thrus try to hit Damascus Mid May.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 18:44
There is really hardly any good time to hike the Smokies at the beginning of the year.

Jan-Feb: No crowd but its cold.

Apr-May: Warmer but crowded.

I would say mid April to May after the thrus have come through. Most thrus try to hit Damascus Mid May.

You left out March. March was good for me because it was only thruhikers really. I went first and second week of March and it was me and a group of Thru's, bought 5 of em, then did it again before I went to Springer and it was sweet, unti of course Newfound. After that ran into a group of college kids at Collins and then didnt really see anyone because the weather changed

jorhawle
12-19-2009, 16:13
Define "a lot" of thru hikers. I am hoping to go through that last weekend of March through the first week of April. There will be 4 of us, so I'm hoping shelters will be full so we can tent camp.

SGT Rock
12-19-2009, 16:27
When I hike in March there are usually lots of crowds. You have the thru-hikers and the spring breakers. Spring break happens in shifts and it seems that between the start of March until about the first week of April I run into full shelters all the time.

I'e actually found that late August during the week is a good time because many kids are back in school and the occasional people out for the weekend are waiting for the weekend.

Ox97GaMe
12-19-2009, 21:52
jor, there will be plenty of hikers at the shelters the entire month of March, so you shouldnt have a problem with setting up tents outside the shelter. The issue will be with the ridgerunners at the shelters. They are required to direct hikers to set up IN the shelter until such time that the shelter is full, then allow for overflow camping. They will have a daily reservation count, so they can hold out the appropriate number of bunk spaces. Also note that you will still be REQUIRED to camp within sight of the shelter. Just because a shelter is full doesnt mean it is free for all camping. There are designated tenting areas around the shelters to minimize the impacts.

jorhawle
12-19-2009, 23:18
I'm trying to reroute the hike now. Just seems like the trail will be overcrowded. Anyone have any suggestions for a week long hike? We want something that will take us to the upper elevations, maybe hang on the AT for a day or so if necessary. Looking at endpoints of Big Creek Ranger Station and Fontana.