PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

Chris_NYC
12-07-2009, 14:33
Hi all, new guy here, thought I should introduce myself, hope this is the right place for it, name's Chris, live in NYC 31 years old. I used to do a lot of camping and day hikes when I was younger in the scouts and a few day hikes in the last few years with friends. I remember in the scouts when we would be hiking my father telling me that this trail go's all the way from here to here and that one from here to there and how some people even walk the whole thing, WOW really people walk the whole thing. Well I have a whole bunch of free time on my hands and it looks like I might try to be one of them nuts myself. Longest hike I ever been on was 50 miles in 6 days and that was a long time ago. So I am starting to research gear and all that other good stuff and putting a plan together for a 2010 thru-hike starting in march or April. I'm sure I will have lots of questions for you all between now and then.

Hikes in Rain
12-07-2009, 14:39
:welcome

Hi, Chris! You've come to the right place. Like you, I did a lot of hiking and camping when I was younger, and a few months of participating on this forum lightened my pack load by probably 20 pounds! This is a great place for information of all kinds. Anything you'd like to know, likely someone here has done it and is willing to help you.

Blissful
12-07-2009, 15:02
Glad you're here, Chris. This is the place to be for ideas and encouragement.

Maddog
12-07-2009, 15:06
:welcome you came to the right place! good luck on your hike! see you on the trail next year!:D

Marmotnj
12-08-2009, 21:17
hey man im leaving march 28th, hope to see you out there.

Ender
12-08-2009, 22:39
Welcome Chris. I'm in NYC myself, and the city is actually a decent city to be a hiker... Metro North goes right to the AT, and Jersey Transit goes right to Harriman. No need for a car, and no worrying about leaving a car at a trailhead. There's some good info here at WB, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

sasquatch2014
12-09-2009, 09:29
Welcome. I am just up here where the Metro North stops at the trail. Stops on the trail weekends only otherwise stops a few miles south in Pawling. If you come up this way for a hike and want company give me a shout and I'll show you around my area.

Big Dawg
12-09-2009, 10:24
Welcome to WB!! :sun

colemancol
12-09-2009, 14:08
Welcome to WhiteBlaze.

http://www.commentsyard.com/graphics/welcome/welcome159.gif

XCskiNYC
12-11-2009, 22:43
If you don't have a car check out my trailjournals (Iver the Backpack Driver) wherein I detail how to reach pretty much all the trailheads between Bear Mtn. Bridge and Salisbury, CT by public transport of one sort or another.

If you do have a car PM me before you head up to the AT. I WILL pitch in gas money.

klar4230
12-12-2009, 14:06
Hi Chris! I'm new too!