PDA

View Full Version : Where are you headed for the Labor Day Weekend?

2XL
08-30-2004, 09:40
I myself have not decided, I was hoping to find a hiking partner and go southbound through NY, or somewhere in the CT/NY area. Any takers? :welcome

SavageLlama
08-30-2004, 10:01
I'm headed for the great state of VT. No big hikes planned this wknd, but I may do Stratton Mtn and Quechee Gorge.

orangebug
08-30-2004, 10:10
Allen Gap to Sams Gap in NC/TN. First overnight backpacking in over two years. Not even H. Frances can dampen my anticipation. :jump

Bill...

SGT Rock
08-30-2004, 11:23
House hunting in Maryville, TN

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 11:24
Bar hopping in Damascus, Va.

SGT Rock
08-30-2004, 11:27
LOL! How many bars are there in Damascus?

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 11:30

2XL
08-30-2004, 11:31
I thought Dot's was the only one you knew.

SGT Rock
08-30-2004, 11:32
What is the other one?

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 11:34
Nope. The Old Mill too. The Side Track used to be open and had beer but I didn't go in that dump. Smelled like a friggin hiker hostel.

SGT Rock
08-30-2004, 11:36
Do they have a VFW in Damascus? The VFW in belonged to in Wisconsin was also a bar as well as the American Legion.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 11:38
There is a VFW about a mile out of town but no alcohol is allowed there.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2004, 15:59
A VFW Hall with out liquor??? Geez, that's kinda like kissing your own sister......a nice idea and all, but what the hell is the point?

baseballswthrt
08-30-2004, 16:17
SNP is calling my name!

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 16:20
Too many stabbings and fights among the associate members from what I've been told, Jack.

tlbj6142
08-30-2004, 16:23
Expect the ground to be wet/muddy just about everywhere in the East (Gaston (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Gaston&imagetype=move&partner) and Hermine (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Hermine&imagetype=move&partner)). And possible hard rainfall in the SE (Frances (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Frances&imagetype=move&partner)).

orangebug
08-30-2004, 17:46
Expect the ground to be wet/muddy just about everywhere in the East (Gaston (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Gaston&imagetype=move&partner) and Hermine (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Hermine&imagetype=move&partner)). And possible hard rainfall in the SE (Frances (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Frances&imagetype=move&partner)).
I kind of doubt that will be a problem by Labor Day. NOAA shows Frances to be hitting Florida Saturday evening. Maybe Monday some of it hits NOGA or NC. Hermine is off of Maine. Gaston is headed out to sea tonight.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ is a very good resource without ads and distracting pop ups.

Bill...

SavageLlama
08-30-2004, 17:53
The guys at the VFW in Virginia don't need liquor to kiss their sisters. :D

jigsaw
08-30-2004, 18:39
heading out to the whites thursday. kinsman notch over moosalakie to packrats hostel then on to crawford back to franconia. hope to see some of ya out there jigsaw

The Scribe
08-30-2004, 19:36
Caratunk to Monson.

TJ aka Teej
08-30-2004, 20:41
I'm hiking in to the Penobscot Nation gathering at Baxter Park, and will try to write something about it for the ATN.

Teej

attroll
08-30-2004, 23:53
Caratunk to Monson.
Hey I am doing Caratunk to Monson too. LOL. If anyone else wants to hook up with PCM25 and me let us know. We are spotting a car on each end.

steve hiker
08-31-2004, 01:36
Thinking of saying the hell with waiting for true fall, and heading to north GA for a small section hike. Bound to be cooler up there than where I am.

Mini-Mosey
08-31-2004, 09:02
Laboring most of the weekend. But the best season(to me)of all to backpack/hike is just around the corner; my spirits are lifting. I intend to make a point of getting out there;it helps to save my sanity, which I haven't had much of lately.

lightning
08-31-2004, 12:08
smokies: the cosby zone.

A-Train
09-05-2004, 16:40
Just got back from a short but very enjoyable jaunt in the Mahoosucs, kind of a last minute idea. Spotted a couple hikers while driving thru Gorham, one guy riding the infamous orange bicycle around. Saw a man shaving in the bathroom at Shaws, and just knew he was an AT hiker, an italian man, hiking from NY to Maine.
Took the beautiful Carlo Col Trail up to the shelter from Success Pond Road and spent the night with my buddy Colin. Expected it to be crowded with weekenders and thru-hikers, but we had the place to ourselves. Caught some great colors before the sun went down on Carlo Peak. Heard from a day hiker that he had just run into 4 thru-hikers, though they didn't come down to the shelter.
Last night was pretty chilly and we got an early and beautiful morning to go up Carlo and Goose Eye. The peaks were stunning, the air was crisp and no one else to be seen. Tons of mushrooms everywhere as well as moose scat and some wild blueberries. We took the Goose Eye Trail down the side of the East Peak and looped down back to the car. Spotted a few hikers on the other Goose Eye Peak from a far, it was that clear. Sorry to not have run into any thru-hikers, but a lucky few should find some cold Woodstock Inn Red Rack Ale's in the spring. A little reward for trekking down the 1/3 mile rocky side trail from the AT. The register seemed like there has been a steady wave of thru-hikers coming thru the past month or so, though I suspect many skip Carlo, with its distance from the AT, going on to Full Goose. All in all a great hike, and so glad to have returned to one of the best spots on the entire Trail. See ya'll in Caratunk in a couple weeks

Jersey Bob
09-05-2004, 20:17
at least 10 characters

Nightwalker
09-05-2004, 22:33
Not this weekend, but next, I'm doing the Bartram Trail. Starting at Cheohee Road near Oconee SP in SC, and hoping to go through the GA and NC sections to the AT.

This is the first try at a "real" hike since migraines took me off the AT, and I'm psyched...

:)

Theo
09-06-2004, 11:56
Hey people, I'm down here in the Tampa-Bay area. It's now Labor Day. We've been holding this storm here for the last 48 hours so you all could get in some great hikes. We've got to let it go now, it's been beating the hell out of us. What a weekend, seems like it lasted a month. Good Luck

Youngblood
09-06-2004, 12:49
Not this weekend, but next, I'm doing the Bartram Trail. Starting at Cheohee Road near Oconee SP in SC, and hoping to go through the GA and NC sections to the AT.

This is the first try at a "real" hike since migraines took me off the AT, and I'm psyched...

:)

Frank, good luck with your hike. Cheohee Road near Oconee SP in SC? I think the first faded yellow blaze that I saw was just west of there, but I seem to recall that I saw an old signpost for the Bartram trail on the Foothills Trail that said that SC107 was 3.6 miles away. Was the signpost saying the Bartram Trail starts 3.6 miles away at SC107? I have not been able to figure out just where the Bartram Trail teminates in SC, seems like some folks just use the Russell Bridge at GA&SC/28 as the terminus and disregard the notion that the Bartram Trail is in SC. I know you are very familar with the SC trails, do you know where the terminus really is?

Youngblood

Hikerhead
09-06-2004, 20:45
I'm just back from an overniter arround Mt Rogers. Started at the Grindstone Campground at about 7PM yesterday, hiked about a mile and made camp. Went up the AT at Deep Gap and continued to Rhodo Gap. Took the Pine Mtn trail down about a mile where I picked up a horse trail that went back around the other side of Mt Rogers and to the trail I came up on. Must have been about 14/15 miles I guess. It felt like 30. I didn;'t see the tamed deer at Thomas Knob and didn't see any ponies till I got on the horse trail, they had a Hikers Not Welcome sign out, not friendly. I thought for sure I heard a Red Squirrle doing that crazy bird sounding bark that they do. I thought they were only found up north. The ranger confirmed they do have some around there. Yesterday was an awesome blue sky day, today it rained and all was fogged in at the top. It was still fun, I had a good hike.

weary
09-06-2004, 21:01
There is a VFW about a mile out of town but no alcohol is allowed there.

And they expect us long distance hikers to listen to their voting recommendations?

Weary

Nightwalker
09-07-2004, 13:06
Frank, good luck with your hike. Cheohee Road near Oconee SP in SC? I think the first faded yellow blaze that I saw was just west of there, but I seem to recall that I saw an old signpost for the Bartram trail on the Foothills Trail that said that SC107 was 3.6 miles away. Was the signpost saying the Bartram Trail starts 3.6 miles away at SC107? I have not been able to figure out just where the Bartram Trail teminates in SC, seems like some folks just use the Russell Bridge at GA&SC/28 as the terminus and disregard the notion that the Bartram Trail is in SC. I know you are very familar with the SC trails, do you know where the terminus really is?

Youngblood
The first Bartram blaze that I've seen is on the Foothills Trail between Cheohee Road and the Chatooga.

Cheohee Road is just a good place to start, not what I've seen as the "official" beginning. I think that there are a couple of folks that I could ask that would know (the Oconee SP superintendant and the head of the Foothills Trail coalition).

Either way, unless Ivan-rain intervenes, it should be a great hike!

mhussey
09-07-2004, 13:25
First post here on this site. Id like to say hey, Ive been reading alot and learned a great deal while on this wonderful site! Just getting into hiking and the AT thing, cant get enough time off to complete it all in one step. I started west of Kokadjo Saturday morning on the AT and hiked 22 miles into the Potaywadjo Ridge lean-to. From there I hiked 33 miles to the Abol bridge on Sunday. Saw several SOBO's, some very nice views, and one huge bull moose on Nahmakanta Stream. Great weather and I was beat, could hardly walk on Labor day. Next journey will be from Monson to Logan brook lean to if doing a two day hike or KIW road to E.Pleasant River road.

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2004, 20:24
First post here on this site.
:welcome
Sounds like you had a great hike, and welcome aboard!

TJ

warren doyle
09-07-2004, 21:31
Terry and I went dancing for the weekend on a north Georgia ridgetop farm in the shadow of Lookout Mt. Stopped by at the NOC Wesser empire, Sams Gap, and Uncle Johnny's on our way back to our new cozy home below Doll Flats in the shadow of Hump Mt.

willyhort0w2
09-07-2004, 23:23
I went ot hike the Old Loggers Path located in Tiadaghton State Forest about a half an hour North of Williamsport PA. It is a 27 mile loop. Just a quick overnight, Sat thru Sunday outing with my dog. it was her forst official backpacking trip and she loved every minute of it. we slept on a ground cloth at one of the overlooks.

copythat
09-08-2004, 23:05
Do they have a VFW in Damascus? The VFW in belonged to in Wisconsin was also a bar as well as the American Legion.

Man, things sure are different in states ending with 'A.' (VA, LA, maybe GA?) where i grew up (NY -- see, no 'A') there were two bars on every STREET, PLUS the VFW and American Legion and the Polish National Home and ... well, you get the idea.

SGT Rock
09-08-2004, 23:45
Well, as a friend of mine from Wisconsin noted, Wisconsin has a couple of bars for every street, and down south we have a couple of chirches for every street. The ratio is about the same of churches to bars between Alabama and Wisconsin, and I suppos the same an be said about other northern vs southern states.

orangebug
09-09-2004, 06:28
Does anyone else have Frank Zappa's tune about Centerville ringing in their ears right now?

"We have Churches!
Churches!
Annnd..
Licquor Stoooores!"