Rambler
12-07-2009, 23:29
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/pages.php?pID=2&CDpath=1

Maddog
12-08-2009, 03:41
good info! thanks!:)

Gaiter
12-08-2009, 06:50
nah..... hike your own hike, don't worry about the miles, be respectful of your time and $$$ limits, you'll have a lot more fun that way

Jeff
12-08-2009, 07:40
How did we ever hike in the days before Excel spreadsheets?

Bearpaw
12-08-2009, 10:21
How did we ever hike in the days before Excel spreadsheets?

What's an Excel spreadsheet? :-?

fredmugs
12-08-2009, 10:23
If I ever attempt a thru hike I would set monthly mileage goals just to make sure I got done. I figure if I started around 1 Apr I could do 300, 450, 450, 450, 350, and 175 miles each month. This should be easily achievable and give me enough slack time for bad weather, zero days, etc.

flemdawg1
12-08-2009, 11:16
What are they considering TN? North of erwin?

Blissful
12-08-2009, 15:38
First thing you do on the trail after leaving Springer is throw the spreadsheet away.

jersey joe
12-08-2009, 15:58
First thing you do on the trail after leaving Springer is throw the spreadsheet away.
I had a spreadsheet showing days and miles that I planned before hand for my thru hike. I used it almost every day out on the trail and it was interesting to see how my actual mileage compared to my pre hike plan.

Bearpaw
12-08-2009, 19:13

I think for most people this is true. I had a rough plan that pretty closely mirrored my progress until the northern half of the Smokies. After that, I got ahead and no longer worried about it.

Pedaling Fool
12-08-2009, 19:17
I had a very elaborate plan; it lasted about 5 hours -- no kidding.

Jack Tarlin
12-08-2009, 19:27
I think this itinerary is pretty unrealistic for most folks.....for example, I see that it allows for no, and I mean NO zero days until one gets to Shenandoah Park.

And it allows for a total of nine zero days for the whole trip (of which 4, in Vermont were evidently unplanned).

A thru-hike itinerary that's got 5 days off in it is pretty unrealistic for 99% of people. Most folks take five zeros by the time they've got to Virginia.

warraghiyagey
12-08-2009, 19:39
Heaqdin south I usually take 5 zeroes before I get to Abol Bridge. . .

johnnybgood
12-08-2009, 19:43
An itinerary takes the fun out of enjoying what each new day may bring.

Chaco Taco
12-08-2009, 19:58
Heaqdin south I usually take 5 zeroes before I get to Abol Bridge. . .

Arent you just in Mass too? Havent made it too far SOBO there buddy.:sun

rickb
12-08-2009, 20:14
good info! thanks!:)

For a simplified itinerary, you might want to check out the mileage listed in Warren Doyle's book, reproduced here:

www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd)

warraghiyagey
12-08-2009, 20:17
Arent you just in Mass too? Havent made it too far SOBO there buddy.:sun
Well I did hike through the breezeway at mountain crossings last year. . . .
but I drovew to get there. . . :D

jersey joe
12-09-2009, 13:59
An itinerary takes the fun out of enjoying what each new day may bring.
I guess it depends on the person because an itinerary usually makes things more fun for me. Partly because of the planning and knowing ahead of time where you are going and what you will see. Partly because there is a challenge in meeting or exceeding the goals you set.

Regardless of whether you like an itinerary or not, I would argue that having one will enhance your ability to finish a thru hike.

jersey joe
12-09-2009, 14:12
I think this itinerary is pretty unrealistic for most folks.....for example, I see that it allows for no, and I mean NO zero days until one gets to Shenandoah Park.

And it allows for a total of nine zero days for the whole trip (of which 4, in Vermont were evidently unplanned).

A thru-hike itinerary that's got 5 days off in it is pretty unrealistic for 99% of people. Most folks take five zeros by the time they've got to Virginia.
I acknowledge that I am in the 1% you allude to above, but I really don't think it is that crazy of an itinerary. Despite the lack of zeros, it allows for a 164 day hike which is by no means a fast hike.

The Solemates
12-09-2009, 14:42
I acknowledge that I am in the 1% you allude to above, but I really don't think it is that crazy of an itinerary. Despite the lack of zeros, it allows for a 164 day hike which is by no means a fast hike.

i'm in agreement with you....on both comments: i kept to my schedule for the most part, and i dont think the posted schedule was all that bad. but then again, we knew we were in the 1% jack referred to. we started 1 feb and still didnt take but 1 zero before the shennies.

Blissful
12-09-2009, 14:46
The only time I had to stick to some kind of schedule is to meet someone up the trail a few days out. And even that had to be adjusted d/t weather. You just don't know what's gonna happen until you're out there.

Hyway
12-18-2009, 09:09
I wouldn't use an itinerary as an actual schedule to keep, but I plan to build one so I can tell friends that I will be in their area during a certain time period.