PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Plan/Coverages

Just Lisa
12-08-2009, 12:48
I know cell phones won't work most of the time, but I was curious about those of you who may have carried cell phones on your AT thru hike, what company did you use...I heard Verizon was good, AT&T not so hot, etc...I have T-Mobile and it doesn't ever seem to work anywhere outside of my area.

Thank you, Lisa

Hikes in Rain
12-08-2009, 13:15
I've "only" section-hiked from Springer to I-40, and I've generally had reasonably good reception in most places. Even through the Smokies, the cell worked well enough to get at least a text message out, except up around Tri-Corner Knob. I even got a voice signal out at Pecks Corner. I have Alltel/Verizon.

sly dog
12-08-2009, 13:42
I have AT&T and only section hike. I never had a problem getting a signal at least several times a day in CT,PA,VA,MD,NJ,and VT. On my brothers thru he carried a track phone with horrible service. He said if he knew it would be that bad he would not have taken one.Once in NH I was trying to find him to meet up, my phone had service all day and the whole day he could not get a signal to call me. FYI

Shutterbug
12-08-2009, 14:11
I know cell phones won't work most of the time, but I was curious about those of you who may have carried cell phones on your AT thru hike, what company did you use...I heard Verizon was good, AT&T not so hot, etc...I have T-Mobile and it doesn't ever seem to work anywhere outside of my area.

Thank you, Lisa

I section hike the northern part of the trail. Verizon has coverage for most of the high points. I can't speak for the other systems.

Tennessee Viking
12-08-2009, 14:28
Sprint you are going to have lots of trouble.

Verizon is probably the best until you reach Maine or so.

buff_jeff
12-08-2009, 14:28
I've probably had coverage a little less than 75% of the time from Springer to NH with Verizon.

mweinstone
12-08-2009, 15:35
sprint works well most places. folks need to understand how to hold the phone. vertical without touching any antenna. also they dont remember to set the phone to allow roaming all the time. free on sprint. their are also antenna boosters sold in stores that are a metalic circut sticker placed between the battery and the phone. their are ways to place emergency calls outside even 911 no signal ranges. when the recording comes on that says your number is not reconized, hang on and after a minute, an operater will come on. she will allow you to choose a carrier to place an emergency call that may not require 911, like for a shuttle out of a storm, but could be a real emergency if the call isnt placed.in all my miles, my phone works well.

Blissful
12-08-2009, 15:41
I know cell phones won't work most of the time,

Not true at all, actually. Mine worked great (Verizon) back in '07, all things considered. I even got coverage in the 100 mile wilderness. Probably even better coverage now.

mweinstone
12-08-2009, 15:45
not getting signal when even in roaming mode dosnt mean the phone roamed for a signal. folks set their phone to roam, then pull it out turn it on and see no signal. they must atempt to place a call and allow the call to fully fail and then, without hanging up, the phone roams and asks to try again. now you are in roaming mode and must try at least one further time to ensure you have no signal. also, heavyer more filled with bells and whistles phones work better by becoming something of an antenna booster themselves. and height off the ground can matter as much as a picinic table makeing the difference. let alone climbing to the highest point in an emergency. in the worst case senario, phones have memo pads and voice recorders to allow a party to record medical events and treatments after an accedent. phones are lifesaveing lights to not be taken litely. this past year walking with lonewolf and my friends in damascus, i fell on a bottle of wine in my cargo pocket. my phone saved me from any cuts. true.

jjohn06
12-08-2009, 16:55
I've probably had coverage a little less than 75% of the time from Springer to NH with Verizon.

That seems pretty accurate if i recall. I also remember verizon overall being slightly better. I believe AT&T coverage is fairly flaky in the South.

Brass Rat
12-08-2009, 17:01
That seems pretty accurate if i recall. I also remember verizon overall being slightly better. I believe AT&T coverage is fairly flaky in the South.

No problems w/ AT&T between Springer and Fontana (section hiking), but I've only been using it for text messaging once a day. Can't speak for the voice service fidelity, but data services seem OK.

Just Lisa
12-08-2009, 17:35
thanks everyone!!!!!!

rjridgely
12-08-2009, 17:38
I live in SW VA and tracfone is the only service that works for me 98% of the time

white_russian
12-08-2009, 17:48
I live in SW VA and tracfone is the only service that works for me 98% of the time
Tracfone is a mobile virtual network operator so they are running off either At&t or Verizon's network.

kofritz
12-08-2009, 18:00
when i first read of hiking the AT, the location of pay phones was necessary info. my how things changs so fast.....

atraildreamer
12-09-2009, 13:15
Tracfone is a mobile virtual network operator so they are running off either At&t or Verizon's network.

Tracfone Motorola W376g camera phone, Bluetooth capable, internet capable, w/double minutes for life now $20 at Family Dollar. :rolleyes:

Manwich
12-09-2009, 13:22
I have AT&T and only section hike. I never had a problem getting a signal at least several times a day in CT,PA,VA,MD,NJ,and VT.

Ditto. Plus NH.

shelterbuilder
12-09-2009, 22:00
Tracfone Motorola W376g camera phone, Bluetooth capable, internet capable, w/double minutes for life now $20 at Family Dollar. :rolleyes:

That IS a good deal. I use a Trac-Fone here in Pa. - have never had trouble with service. There are some places that you can't get a signal, but it's my understanding that Trac-Fone uses whatever cell tower it is closest to.

I only use it for texting (can't talk anymore due to cancer), but a 120 minute card with double-minutes lasts me for months (.03 minute per text message, in or out). For me, this is WAY CHEAPER than any plan.

Graywolf
12-09-2009, 22:12
No problems w/ AT&T between Springer and Fontana (section hiking), but I've only been using it for text messaging once a day. Can't speak for the voice service fidelity, but data services seem OK.

Ditto here to.. When I was at hawk mountain, my phone went off so much, I am surprised I didn't throw it off.. But after I turned it off, then it didn't work anymore, until I turned it back on.. So suppose if your phone is off, it wont work..Right!!!!!:D

Sincerraly Helping,

Graywolf

Okie Dokie
12-09-2009, 22:49
when i first read of hiking the AT, the location of pay phones was necessary info. my how things changs so fast.....

Very true...I often wonder what people with cell phones think is important enough to talk about on a cell... ("hi, where are you?"; "I'm over here"; "how are you?"; "fine"; "what are you doing?"; "nothing, just hiking, and you?"; "sitting at home watching TV"; "ok, bye"; "bye"...

white_russian
12-09-2009, 23:50
That IS a good deal. I use a Trac-Fone here in Pa. - have never had trouble with service. There are some places that you can't get a signal, but it's my understanding that Trac-Fone uses whatever cell tower it is closest to.

I only use it for texting (can't talk anymore due to cancer), but a 120 minute card with double-minutes lasts me for months (.03 minute per text message, in or out). For me, this is WAY CHEAPER than any plan.
I dont do much texting but I have found Page Plus to be much cheaper for my needs than tracfone or its subsidiary net10. A big advantage with Page Plus is you can bring your own phone as long as it cdma and they will activate it..

10-K
12-10-2009, 09:10
I think what phone you have makes a difference too. My son and I hiked together and he could make a call with his phone while mine couldn't get service. And I have the $$$ phone...., his is a cheapo model.

Lumberpat73
01-04-2010, 20:27
Do most ppl hike with phones? I was planning on getting rid of mineto save money while hiking... Ive never really used a pay phone but Im sure I could figure it out :-?

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2010, 20:45
Sure, I hike with mine. I usually hike solo; my wife doesn't like long distance hiking, nor staying out all night, night after night. She does, however, facilitate my obsession, with the caviot that I touch base with her from time to time. Hence, carrying the cell and calling when I can.

deity
01-04-2010, 21:39
I have never thru-hiked, however, I have Verizon and the service is INCREDIBLE in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania mountains. When hiking the AT last summer in Pennsylvania, I was shocked to be able to turn on my phone and check the next day's weather forecast!

BrianLe
01-04-2010, 21:49
"I was planning on getting rid of mineto save money while hiking"

If you have a monthly contract (that you're no longer bound to), an option to consider is going to a pay-as-you-go plan; check with your current carrier. Might save a lot of money.

white_russian
01-04-2010, 22:25
Do most ppl hike with phones? I was planning on getting rid of mineto save money while hiking... Ive never really used a pay phone but Im sure I could figure it out :-?
A prepaid cell phone will be much cheaper than a using payphones, and that is where you can even find them anymore.

BitBucket
01-04-2010, 22:36
My iPhone 3G on AT&T worked reasonably well throughout southern AT when on the peaks...not well at all when in the valleys...but that's pretty typical of AT&T's service in most rural areas...

atraildreamer
01-05-2010, 10:32

Got this one, but didn't like it. Keypad is awkward to use, phone is heavier, phone needs to recharged every couple of days. Gave it to my wife who likes it because the telecoil feature makes it easy to use with her hearing aid. Went back to my Nokia.

letmebefreee
01-12-2010, 02:30
my cell phone works great.... at home in technology obsessed, addicted world. would never think to bring a cell phone on a trip like this....... makes me cringe even thinkin about it.

Old Hiker
01-12-2010, 13:56
Very true...I often wonder what people with cell phones think is important enough to talk about on a cell... ("hi, where are you?"; "I'm over here"; "how are you?"; "fine"; "what are you doing?"; "nothing, just hiking, and you?"; "sitting at home watching TV"; "ok, bye"; "bye"...

Part of my leave of absence from my teaching job will be to update with a webcast or podcast of some type to my kids as part of their curriculum until school's out . This thread is interesting, as I don't use the cell phone I have NOW very much. I'm sure the technology will change even more in the next 2 years.

Manwich
01-12-2010, 14:05
I have AT&T and only section hike. I never had a problem getting a signal at least several times a day in CT,PA,VA,MD,NJ,and VT.

Ditto. Add NH, Subtract VA.

Never been on a peak or ridge I didn't have signal. Don't use crappy "FREE WITH 2YR CONTRACT" cheapo phones they market to the inner city kids.

harryfred
01-12-2010, 14:27
Sure, I hike with mine. I usually hike solo; my wife doesn't like long distance hiking, nor staying out all night, night after night. She does, however, facilitate my obsession, with the caviot that I touch base with her from time to time. Hence, carrying the cell and calling when I can.
Same here. I think you will find a lot of us out there that owe our families the courtesy of staying in touch. I also have a friend that goes out with me whose job requires him to be on call. I leave my phone off and in my pack until just before I make camp. The agreement with my wife is I will call if I can, but the conversation is to be short only to let her know I'm OK. I don't want any news, family updates, or any thing else if it doesn't require my immediate exit from the trail.

bigcranky
01-12-2010, 16:21

Not a lot of pay phones left out in the world. I remember using one at the laundromat in Hot Springs -- I felt like I was back in boot camp, standing at the phone talking to my family, with a line of people waiting to use it. (Well, okay, *one* person waiting. My hiking partner. Whatever.)

Lots of hikers carry cell phones. In the South, anyway, Verizon has given me the best service.

As far as saving money, yeah, prepaid is a lot cheaper per minute. Somebody here suggested Page Plus (http://www.pagepluscellular.com/) and said they use the Verizon network, but I haven't verified that. Seems cheap, though.

SurferNerd
01-12-2010, 17:36
I personally suggest Verizon, best coverage. CDMA is more reliable in rural areas.

Gator 65
01-16-2010, 15:32
Lisa,
No question Verizon is best. I switched from AT&T in Harpers Ferry and they were light years better than any other on the trail I inquired about. It was usually my phone my friends used when it was necessary to make a call. You will use your phone more than you imagine such as when your going into town and needing reservations. Boiling Springs has no cell service for Verizon or At&T.
Best of luck and just remember,It's Just walking!

Gator 65
01-16-2010, 15:40
Another reason to carry a phone will be for to communicate with the friends you are hiking with on the trail when necessary. Not everyone hikes the same pace so you will usually start out in the morning and then seperate but then will want to hit the same camp sites at night. You or your friends will also take a "zero day " periodically and will need to stay in touch to hook up again.

scope
01-16-2010, 16:38
I have Verizon and I never have much trouble getting a signal. If I don't have a good one, or the call fails, I walk a little bit further and it seems to be fine. For sure, if I'm top, or the side of a ridge that faces a populated valley, never a problem there.

However, I do notice that my battery goes A LOT more quickly if I leave my phone on while hiking. I guess the signal keeps going in and out and the searching for a signal draws down the battery more? I've taken to turning it off until I decide to call out, but its nice to be able to get messages or calls from my family during the hike. Would love to know if there is a way to get around the problem of having to turn my phone off and on all the time.

letmebefreee
01-16-2010, 17:39
Another reason to carry a phone will be for to communicate with the friends you are hiking with on the trail when necessary. Not everyone hikes the same pace so you will usually start out in the morning and then seperate but then will want to hit the same camp sites at night. You or your friends will also take a "zero day " periodically and will need to stay in touch to hook up again.
this is exactly why I dont own a cell phone... i defenitly dont want people knowing where i am or the possiblility of me using it to call people back home or people i meet on the trail (exactly what im trying to get away from and its sad its been brought to the trail)... its 6 months we are on the trail... not 6 years. everything about cell phones and constantly being in touch is exactly the opposite of who i am. its weird how obsessed we have become as a race to this constant need to know what everyone is doing i.e. facebook, myspace, twitter, cell phones. there is less stress in the world when all that is erradicated from your thinking... sorry im just very strongly opinionated on this.. i dont mean to go after anyone just felt like it needed to be said :P

evanfinkle
01-25-2010, 22:56
anybody use an iphone?

ChinMusic
01-25-2010, 23:02
anybody use an iphone?
Yep, looking forward to Verizon getting the iPhone contract this summer.

Pootz
01-25-2010, 23:04
Verizon

In 07 I had great coverage with Verizon. My hiking partner had AT&T and did not have as good of coverage.

prain4u
01-26-2010, 07:11
I travel semi-often--sometimes to remote areas. There are all sorts of things to do in order to improve cell phone service--many of them already mentioned in this thread. Some things that I would add or highlight:

1. Location, Location, Location. It is AMAZING how you can sometimes gain fairly good reception in some areas (as opposed to having NO reception) just by changing the location of the phone by as little a foot or two--and by possibly changing the way you are holding the phone. (Your hand position can sometimes block or weaken the phone's internal antenna). The DIRECTION you are facing can also see your reception go from having zero bars to having as much as two bars. Some areas really have "quirky" reception.

2. Turning your phone off between calls or between texts can save A LOT of battery life. If the phone is constantly searching for a signal (and/or finding no signal) it really drains battery life.

3. With Verizon, calling *228 and pushing "Option # 2" can SOMETIMES improve your roaming capabilities. It is probably good to perform this procedure periodically even at home. Find out more here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/howTo/prlHowTo.jsp

4. Sending a text often seems to require less of of a good signal than making an actual voice phone call. I have often been able to send out a text to my wife when I could not get (or keep) a voice connection.

SmokeEater
01-26-2010, 10:11
I hiked from springer to fontana and had service on most of the high points using At&t. had no prob calling home every night.